Igor Radosavljevic  Identity Verified
Serbia
Local time: 08:43
Member (2010)
English to Serbian
+ ...
Sep 21, 2010

Dear Proz community,

for all of you who strongly believe that a good website might add a notch to our being noticed, my main question would be: what should and what should not (by any means) such an advertising website contain.

There are many еxperienced colleagues who possess such means of advertising. What do they recommend? Does it pay off on the long run? And the questions go on and on...

I really appreciate all your comments, so please, do comment.... See more
Dear Proz community,

for all of you who strongly believe that a good website might add a notch to our being noticed, my main question would be: what should and what should not (by any means) such an advertising website contain.

There are many еxperienced colleagues who possess such means of advertising. What do they recommend? Does it pay off on the long run? And the questions go on and on...

I really appreciate all your comments, so please, do comment.

Thanks,
Igor
Collapse

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:43
German to English
Search engine optimization (SEO) Sep 21, 2010

This includes meta tags and other elements that will catch the attention of search engines such as Google or Bing. This will help people find you in the first place so they can read the catchy marketing text you have on your web page.

Here's a Wikipedia article on optimization:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Search_engine_optimization

Igor Radosavljevic
Serbia
Member (2010)
English to Serbian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Maybe a misguiding title Sep 22, 2010

Thanks Kevin,

I should have simplified the whole writing into a simple question:

What makes a good website a good one, and a safe one?

I think about sensitive data, what should it contain?
Should it be something like the extension of the proze.com profile?
Should it act like a personal "TV commercial", much to see, yet not enough?
How to make it self-inviting, and "luring" the customer into deeper conversation, i.e. correspondence, etc.... See more
Thanks Kevin,

I should have simplified the whole writing into a simple question:

What makes a good website a good one, and a safe one?

Should it be something like the extension of the proze.com profile?
Should it act like a personal "TV commercial", much to see, yet not enough?
How to make it self-inviting, and "luring" the customer into deeper conversation, i.e. correspondence, etc.

I doubt that search engines will prove to be of great help, somehow I feel that I should guide the customer to my site (by offering job proposals), show him the content, make him remember me, and create a desire to come back for more.

Someone these days mentioned guerrilla-approach to self-employment.

Well, here it is.

Are there any (even wild) ideas?
Collapse

Alex Eames
Alex Eames
Local time: 07:43
English to Polish
+ ...
depends where you are based Sep 22, 2010

Igor Radosavljevic wrote:

In the UK, for example, a sole trader business must legally have a physical address somewhere on the web site. Many many small businesses break this law in ignorance (although I have yet to hear of a prosecution - seems that law has no teeth).

I wouldn't bother with bank details though until a client hires you.

Other than that, think of your site as an online brochure and showcase for your business. There is so much you can do with a web site these days that it's limited only by your time, budget and imagination.

It's an important part of the mix though, particularly if you want to work for direct clients.

Hope this helps a little

Alex Eames
http://www.translatortips.com
helping translators do better business

Cécile Sellier
Cécile Sellier  Identity Verified
Georgia
Local time: 10:43
English to French
+ ...
More on search results... Sep 27, 2010

Hi all,

I realize this is not exactly the topic, but then, how can you expect potential clients to be dazzled by your amazing website if they can't find it in the first place?

Of course the content of your website is vital (you see some pretty lousy ones out there...), but I think a great, well-designed, catchy website doesn't do you much good if it's not easy to find. You do want to make sure you rank as high as possible in the searches, and your webmaster hopefully kn
... See more
Hi all,

I realize this is not exactly the topic, but then, how can you expect potential clients to be dazzled by your amazing website if they can't find it in the first place?

Of course the content of your website is vital (you see some pretty lousy ones out there...), but I think a great, well-designed, catchy website doesn't do you much good if it's not easy to find. You do want to make sure you rank as high as possible in the searches, and your webmaster hopefully knows everything about this and will give you some tips!

I am only just starting as a translator, and am currently having my website made.
I'll be able to give more useful feedback later on

Quick thanks to Alex Eames - thanks to you this time next year there should be about $80,000 on my bank account!! Your book's really helpful
Collapse

Igor Radosavljevic
Serbia
Member (2010)
English to Serbian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You are right, but... Sep 27, 2010

If fact I do not want to be found by clients, at least it isn't the only goal. Each and every time, I do the targeted hard job of offering my services and negotiating bit by bit. I do all this because I want to show well chosen clients that there is more to see aside from my proz.com (or whichever) profile. Yet, in fact, there isn't, but you know, you can deepen your relationship with them. Figuratively speaking, it's more like leading important guests right into your guestroom, rather than givi... See more
If fact I do not want to be found by clients, at least it isn't the only goal. Each and every time, I do the targeted hard job of offering my services and negotiating bit by bit. I do all this because I want to show well chosen clients that there is more to see aside from my proz.com (or whichever) profile. Yet, in fact, there isn't, but you know, you can deepen your relationship with them. Figuratively speaking, it's more like leading important guests right into your guestroom, rather than giving an invitation for everyone from the outside to peep through your guestroom windows. After that, I want to chit-chat with my guests about quality and prices.
That's all.

btw thanks Cécile for your good points
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

catchy website creation - issues

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »