Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Almost finished polishing my profile...opinions plz :)
Thread poster: Ali Alsaqqa
Ali Alsaqqa
Ali Alsaqqa  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:09
English to Arabic
Aug 25, 2010

Hello everybody..

I have scanned the forums and extracted all the profile-related advices.
I went through all of them, except a few... So what I want from you is
to kindly visit my profile : http://www.proz.com/profile/1171025 and
give me a feedback. If you think you have some extra leisure minutes,
then you are more than welcomed to have a look at my CV also... See more
Hello everybody..

I have scanned the forums and extracted all the profile-related advices.
I went through all of them, except a few... So what I want from you is
to kindly visit my profile : http://www.proz.com/profile/1171025 and
give me a feedback. If you think you have some extra leisure minutes,
then you are more than welcomed to have a look at my CV also

[Well, there's at least two equally justified reasons for deleting this
thread : 1) Repeated. 2) If every member is going to post a similar
thread then we won't finish until the sun rises from west.]

[Ok, there's also another two reasons, also equally justified, for not
deleting this thread : 1) I am -hopefully- a good guy 2) If you
were resented at first by this thread and you reached this point, then
this is another sign that you are overcurious .]
Collapse

Dagdelen
Dagdelen  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 12:09
Member (2010)
German to Turkish
+ ...
some suggestions Aug 26, 2010

Well Ali,
I'm not the professional one concerning PR's, but I would recommend 2 U to do something in 2 subjects,
1) "about me": write something artless there, maybe something like in Objective of your CV and let the people praise you, don't do it by yourself (sorry)! Just describe yourself.
2) You need urgently a nice & honest looking picture of yourself, it gives the impression of familiarity in western world.
3) You need more references! (your bachelor degree, transla
... See more
Well Ali,
I'm not the professional one concerning PR's, but I would recommend 2 U to do something in 2 subjects,
1) "about me": write something artless there, maybe something like in Objective of your CV and let the people praise you, don't do it by yourself (sorry)! Just describe yourself.
2) You need urgently a nice & honest looking picture of yourself, it gives the impression of familiarity in western world.
3) You need more references! (your bachelor degree, translation experiences, ... exalt them)
So long
Rasim
Collapse

Ali Alsaqqa
United States
English to Arabic
TOPIC STARTER
mmm, Aug 26, 2010

Rasim Dagdelen wrote:

Well Ali,
3) You need more references! (your bachelor degree, translation experiences, ... exalt them)
So long
Rasim

Hi,

1) I didn't understand how to write it not by myself... you mean
not using the "first person" ??

2) This is a problem, coz I am still 24 and my photo will make
people think I am too novice...

3) so I should speak more in the "about me" section ? more
details about the bachelor degree is OK, but experience, I
have done only 3 projects so I don't know whether this is
worth writing or not...

BR,

[Edited at 2010-08-26 08:15 GMT]

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 16:09
English to Thai
+ ...
Your publications Aug 26, 2010

I expect to see lists of your publications e.g. articles in journals or books. It is anticipated that you are a good writer/author and are keen to edit paragraphs rather than straight translation. Translators/interpretators now are demanded of good writing styles. [A new trend of human translation service?]

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Desdemone (X)
Desdemone (X)
Local time: 06:09
French to English
Two items... Aug 26, 2010

Two things popped out at me:
1) Get a native English speaker to edit the English version of your profile.
2) Take down the Arabic to English translations you've posted under samples. They contain numerous errors. Even if your written Arabic is flawless, the mistakes in the English samples can raise doubts in the mind of an outsourcer who is looking for an Arabic translation but does not speak/write Arabic and thus cannot judge the quality. If they go by the quality of the English on
... See more
2) Take down the Arabic to English translations you've posted under samples. They contain numerous errors. Even if your written Arabic is flawless, the mistakes in the English samples can raise doubts in the mind of an outsourcer who is looking for an Arabic translation but does not speak/write Arabic and thus cannot judge the quality. If they go by the quality of the English on your site, they'll probably pass you by.
Collapse

Ali Alsaqqa
United States
English to Arabic
TOPIC STARTER
True Aug 26, 2010

Paula Rennie wrote:

2) Take down the Arabic to English translations you've posted under samples. They contain numerous errors. Even if your written Arabic is flawless, the mistakes in the English samples can raise doubts in the mind of an outsourcer who is looking for an Arabic translation but does not speak/write Arabic and thus cannot judge the quality. If they go by the quality of the English on your site, they'll probably pass you by.

1) My profile has only one version : English (which you've seen). What
needs revision specifically ?

2) Right, I caught some errors. It seems that I haven't reviewed the samples since writing them.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 10:09
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Comments on your CV Aug 26, 2010

Ali Al-Saqqa wrote:
...then you are more than welcomed to have a look at my CV also.

1. Your CV has "Ali Al-Saqqa" as a heading, but people who are unfamiliar with Arabic names would not instinctively know that is your name (they might think it is some or other traditional muslim greeting of the type that Arabic people sometimes tend to put at the start of their letters and e-mails).

2. Why do you write "profile" with a lowercase?

3. "knowledge in Engineering and computer science" -- why is engineering capitalised but computer science isn't?

4. "Technical translations
Software & website localizations
Editing & Proofreading
Audio Transcriptions" -- the capitalisation of these four items is inconsistent.

5. "[EN --> AR ]" -- not everyone knows that "AR" is Arabic, and some people don't even know that "EN" is English.

6.1 "B.Sc Degree in Electrical Engineering, IUG, Palestine." -- double-check whether "Degree" should be capitalised and where there should be a fullstop after "Sc".

6.2 IUG is also the International University of Geneva, but your alma mater is the Islamic University of Gaza. Why not write out the name of the university?

7. " I have translated This article for..." -- why is "This" capitalised?

8. " I have translated the Jan. And Feb. issues," -- it is likely that your autocorrector turned "And" into a capitalised word due to the full-stop (though I'm not sure why "issues" isn't capitalised as well). Do you follow the same degree of care when you deliver files to your clients (accepting what the computer does, without correcting anything that is corrected incorrectly)?

Inga Petkelyte
Inga Petkelyte  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 09:09
Lithuanian to Portuguese
+ ...
Question to Soonthon Aug 26, 2010

That was an interesting hint about referring articles in journals. I would consider myself more a translating lawyer than a professional linguist; would legal articles suit here ? It would demonstrate fluency (or inexistance of it, for that matter), but.. ?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 10:09
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
About the photo Aug 26, 2010

Rasim Dagdelen wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean by that comment, Rasim. Ali's photo isn't that bad. It shows a young man with neat (if a bit modern) clothing in an office environment.

The only things I can say about the photo that may be a little bad is the fact that the photographer stood above Ali when he took the photo (giving the impression that Ali is subservient), and that Ali is wearing a lanyard (which may indicate that he has a security pass with him, which is usually used by employees of large companies and not by freelancers). It is also unfortunate that Ali has crossed his arms, although this isn't particularly obvious.

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 16:09
English to Thai
+ ...
Publication is a tough work Aug 26, 2010

Inga Petkelyte wrote:

That was an interesting hint about referring articles in journals. I would consider myself more a translating lawyer than a professional linguist; would legal articles suit here ? It would demonstrate fluency (or inexistance of it, for that matter), but.. ?

If you ever posted an article into a prominent professional journal, you know it is more difficult than translating and getting paid. Many journals have referee system to screen out what to publish or not. This is a prestige, and a good marketing tool to seek new clients, I believe. In your case, legal article writers can be good editor of legal translations.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

[Edited at 2010-08-26 14:58 GMT]

Dagdelen
Dagdelen  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 12:09
Member (2010)
German to Turkish
+ ...
to Samuel (photo) & Ali (about me-section in your page" Aug 26, 2010

photo & about me - section

As I wrote that suggestions he had no photo at all, just a pic of a blue pencil. So I thought myself it would be better to put a pic of himself into the page, U know people love it & would like to know whom they trust the job & money. To that picture I would say it should have been more brightly; it's too dark)

Secondly he praised himself in the "about me section" I didn't like
... See more

As I wrote that suggestions he had no photo at all, just a pic of a blue pencil. So I thought myself it would be better to put a pic of himself into the page, U know people love it & would like to know whom they trust the job & money. To that picture I would say it should have been more brightly; it's too dark)

Secondly he praised himself in the "about me section" I didn't like it much, he should better describe his plus specifications like bachelor degree, and so on.
ciao
Collapse

Ali Alsaqqa
United States
English to Arabic
TOPIC STARTER
No No No :) Aug 26, 2010

Samuel Murray wrote:

Rasim Dagdelen wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean by that comment, Rasim. Ali's photo isn't that bad. It shows a young man with neat (if a bit modern) clothing in an office environment.

The only things I can say about the photo that may be a little bad is the fact that the photographer stood above Ali when he took the photo (giving the impression that Ali is subservient), and that Ali is wearing a lanyard (which may indicate that he has a security pass with him, which is usually used by employees of large companies and not by freelancers). It is also unfortunate that Ali has crossed his arms, although this isn't particularly obvious.

I've changed my photo "immediately" following Rasim's advice
My old photo was just a logo.
OK, can we say that the new photo is acceptable ?

Ali Alsaqqa
United States
English to Arabic
TOPIC STARTER
I am shocked Aug 26, 2010

Samuel Murray wrote:

Ali Al-Saqqa wrote:
...then you are more than welcomed to have a look at my CV also.

1. Your CV has "Ali Al-Saqqa" as a heading, but people who are unfamiliar with Arabic names would not instinctively know that is your name (they might think it is some or other traditional muslim greeting of the type that Arabic people sometimes tend to put at the start of their letters and e-mails).

2. Why do you write "profile" with a lowercase?

3. "knowledge in Engineering and computer science" -- why is engineering capitalised but computer science isn't?

4. "Technical translations
Software & website localizations
Editing & Proofreading
Audio Transcriptions" -- the capitalisation of these four items is inconsistent.

5. "[EN --> AR ]" -- not everyone knows that "AR" is Arabic, and some people don't even know that "EN" is English.

6.1 "B.Sc Degree in Electrical Engineering, IUG, Palestine." -- double-check whether "Degree" should be capitalised and where there should be a fullstop after "Sc".

6.2 IUG is also the International University of Geneva, but your alma mater is the Islamic University of Gaza. Why not write out the name of the university?

7. " I have translated This article for..." -- why is "This" capitalised?

8. " I have translated the Jan. And Feb. issues," -- it is likely that your autocorrector turned "And" into a capitalised word due to the full-stop (though I'm not sure why "issues" isn't capitalised as well). Do you follow the same degree of care when you deliver files to your clients (accepting what the computer does, without correcting anything that is corrected incorrectly)?

1) I'll rewrite it like this : Name : Ali Al-Saqqa
2) I'll uppercase it
3) capitalization...OK, I'll do it
4) same problem..
5) Good point.
6.1) Another good point.
6.2) True, it should be read "B.Sc. degree ..."
7) oops
8) same problem...

It's clear that I didn't pay sufficient attention to the capitalization issue

And no, I don't follow the same degree of care when delivering files
to my client(s), not only because this is not professional, but also
because this could make me start disrespecting myself ( This may
have something to do with 'self ego', I don't know exactly but it's
like that).

Anyway, I think I can't thank you enough, I owe you a lot..

[Edited at 2010-08-26 21:25 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-08-26 21:29 GMT]

Ali Alsaqqa
United States
English to Arabic
TOPIC STARTER
Are you talking about... Aug 26, 2010

Rasim Dagdelen wrote:

Secondly he praised himself in the "about me section" I didn't like it much, he should better describe his plus specifications like bachelor degree, and so on.
ciao

..this :
"Thanks to my love of translation and my deep knowledge in Engineering
and computer science, I am one of the truly competent and qualified ENG
& IT translators that are hard to find."

Do I look like an arrogant here ??

Ali Alsaqqa
United States
English to Arabic
TOPIC STARTER
CV Aug 26, 2010

My CV is now updated; thanks to Samuel Murray for his kind notes.

I've also changed it as I translate only into Arabic, and not into English..

[Edited at 2010-08-26 21:38 GMT]

Update : I've updated the "about me" section...

[Edited at 2010-08-26 21:55 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Almost finished polishing my profile...opinions plz :)

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »