Thread poster: Bruno Vasconcelos
Bruno Vasconcelos
Bruno Vasconcelos
Local time: 16:32
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Feb 16, 2010

Hello everyone!

I bet posts like this are fairly frequent. I hope I'm not boring anyone to death out there haha.

So, I'm not a newbie translator, but I'm total new at freelancing, believe it or not. So, I've joined Proz a few days ago and I'm here, requesting your feedback on my proz profile information and my website.

- Is my profile clear and informative enough? Do I need to attach a full resume to it? What would you change? Is the lack of a proper Engl
... See more
Hello everyone!

I bet posts like this are fairly frequent. I hope I'm not boring anyone to death out there haha.

So, I'm not a newbie translator, but I'm total new at freelancing, believe it or not. So, I've joined Proz a few days ago and I'm here, requesting your feedback on my proz profile information and my website.

- Is my profile clear and informative enough? Do I need to attach a full resume to it? What would you change? Is the lack of a proper English certificate (I suppose a TOEIC is nearly nothing even at the highest scores, right?) or translation specific credentials / memberships going to hinder me too much on freelancing?

- My website: www.tradutor.me
Since I had to learn it all from scratch, this is the best I can put together in a week. I still plan on adding my rates there when I figure them. What information do you think I should add to it? Anything weird or out of place? What changes would you make? I still have to learn how to make it rank high on specific searches, but that I'll learn myself, tips accepted, though. Oh and is it aesthetically good? Easy to navigate?

I guess that's about it

Thanks in advance =)

Bruno

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2010-02-17 00:04 GMT]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 21:32
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Some comments Feb 17, 2010

Bruno Vasconcelos wrote:
My website: http://www.tradutor.me/

1. The "contact" image and the "brazil" image failed to load. So for me, your site says "translation from X to English", with "X" being an image that failed to load. Why can't you just use actual text instead of images for text?

2. Your "information" and "quotation" links don't work.

3. At the bottom of your "contact" page are images but no text. Google for "mystery meat navigation".

Lany Chabot-Laroche
Lany Chabot-Laroche  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 15:32
Member (2009)
English to French
Works fine Feb 17, 2010

Samuel Murray wrote:

Bruno Vasconcelos wrote:
My website: http://www.tradutor.me/

1. The "contact" image and the "brazil" image failed to load. So for me, your site says "translation from X to English", with "X" being an image that failed to load. Why can't you just use actual text instead of images for text?

2. Your "information" and "quotation" links don't work.

3. At the bottom of your "contact" page are images but no text. Google for "mystery meat navigation".

Odd, everything seems to be working fine with me.

I like the little presentation with the small but effective menus. I agree that a little more details could be put into your information section.

Dhiraj Khati
Dhiraj Khati  Identity Verified
Nepal
Local time: 01:17
Member (2009)
English to Nepali
+ ...
look nice but little Feb 17, 2010

Put more information

Kathinka van de Griendt
Kathinka van de Griendt  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:32
German to English
+ ...
24 hours Feb 17, 2010

The "look" is nice, I agree, but I was immediately bothered by the fact that you promise an answer within 24 hours. I have had the personal experience that most clients want the information NOW, and will not linger to wait around while you decide whether you can/want to do this job or not. Let them know that you have been waiting for their quote and answer within 12 hours at the latest. This will give you the reputation of being indispensable and always ready when they need you... See more
The "look" is nice, I agree, but I was immediately bothered by the fact that you promise an answer within 24 hours. I have had the personal experience that most clients want the information NOW, and will not linger to wait around while you decide whether you can/want to do this job or not. Let them know that you have been waiting for their quote and answer within 12 hours at the latest. This will give you the reputation of being indispensable and always ready when they need you

Good luck and regards,
Kathinka
Collapse

Bruno Vasconcelos
Bruno Vasconcelos
Local time: 16:32
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the feedback Feb 21, 2010

I already have an overhauled version on the way. Still, this one got me a couple of jobs!

Thanks for your time!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Requesting feedback on my profile and website

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »