Thread poster: David Jessop
David Jessop
David Jessop  Identity Verified
Laos
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sep 15, 2009

Hello....

I am presently in the process of translating my profile into Spanish and having a website created based content I have put in my profile.

I have been told my profile is alright but want it to be as good as it possibly can be.

So I am submitting myself to your brutal truth. Kindly let me know what you think of my profile and anything you think I could do to improve it. (One thing already planned is to put a logo I have had created in the profile).<
... See more
Hello....

I am presently in the process of translating my profile into Spanish and having a website created based content I have put in my profile.

I have been told my profile is alright but want it to be as good as it possibly can be.

So I am submitting myself to your brutal truth. Kindly let me know what you think of my profile and anything you think I could do to improve it. (One thing already planned is to put a logo I have had created in the profile).

Thanks for any tips on this.

Best wishes,
David
Collapse

Maria Karra
Maria Karra  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:24
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
feedback -but not about your profile Sep 15, 2009

Come on David, first you ask about your picture, now about your profile. What next, your new website? Looks like a great way to make sure your profile gets noticed. This might be far from your intention but it's what it looks like to me. As a freelance translator you are supposed to know (or learn) how to market and present yourself. Take a look at the profiles of some experienced translators here, see what information they have included, and do the same. Use your judgment. If you registered her... See more
Come on David, first you ask about your picture, now about your profile. What next, your new website? Looks like a great way to make sure your profile gets noticed. This might be far from your intention but it's what it looks like to me. As a freelance translator you are supposed to know (or learn) how to market and present yourself. Take a look at the profiles of some experienced translators here, see what information they have included, and do the same. Use your judgment. If you registered here in 2004 -according to your profile- by now you should have a pretty good idea of what a good profile should look like.
This is my brutal truth.
Collapse

Mary Worby
Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:24
German to English
+ ...
My brutal truth Sep 15, 2009

Although I do agree with Maria too!

I am always suspicious of 100 % availability!

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Generally good, but..... Sep 15, 2009

I personally don't care for the blue text, either standard or boldface; I think it is too difficult to read. I also find the word "cherish" a tad precious (first blue paragraph) and think it a bit much for anyone to describe themselves as "gifted."

I also think the profile is a bit too personally oriented and should be more focused on your professional qualifications.

But, in general good. You are a credit to your alma mater, which is not at all far from where I live.... See more
I personally don't care for the blue text, either standard or boldface; I think it is too difficult to read. I also find the word "cherish" a tad precious (first blue paragraph) and think it a bit much for anyone to describe themselves as "gifted."

I also think the profile is a bit too personally oriented and should be more focused on your professional qualifications.

But, in general good. You are a credit to your alma mater, which is not at all far from where I live.

Best wishes,

Bob
Collapse

Edward Vreeburg
Edward Vreeburg  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 06:24
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
whatever.. Sep 15, 2009

In my opinion:

It reads like a book, if I am looking for a translator, I do not want to know where he grew up, what his favourite ice cream was and whether or not he had a red bicycle..
There is too much text, background, complicated words (basically you are looking to attract Spanish speaking people who hire you to translate their documenents into English; if their English is good enough to comprehend your profile ; they probably do not need a translator)

Basical
... See more
In my opinion:

It reads like a book, if I am looking for a translator, I do not want to know where he grew up, what his favourite ice cream was and whether or not he had a red bicycle..
There is too much text, background, complicated words (basically you are looking to attract Spanish speaking people who hire you to translate their documenents into English; if their English is good enough to comprehend your profile ; they probably do not need a translator)

Basically you grew up in X, Y and Z. graduated and had additional diploma's for A and B.
And as a professional translator you worked for D E and F.
Whether English words are your passion (cross words?) or how many words you type a minute is really not important...

Then again, if you do get a lot of people contacting you through Proz, I would not change a thing...

... and the traffic to your profile etc does work - it's an innovative way of collecting peer info - brilliant!

You put your email address in the scrolling line, but you still can't click it, so people will still have to use the PNTP method (paper napkin transfer protocol)

====
Ed
Collapse

Marjolein Verhulsdonck-Roest
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Have a look at my profile... Sep 15, 2009

it's meagre by comparison, since I have only placed the bare (professional) necessities on there. I'm swamped with work nonetheless and your calendar is all green (?)

I'm with Maria and Mary on this one: comes across as begging for attention. Don't overdo it, it might work against you...

Best regards,
Marjolein

Jocelyne S
Jocelyne S  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
OT - Happy Birthday! Sep 15, 2009

Marjolein Verhulsdonck-Roest wrote:

it's meagre by comparison, since I have only placed the bare (professional) necessities on there. I'm swamped with work nonetheless and your calendar is all green (?)

I'm with Maria and Mary on this one: comes across as begging for attention. Don't overdo it, it might work against you...

Best regards,
Marjolein

I just glanced at your profile, Marjolein - and I noticed that it's your birthday. Have a great day!

Best,
Jocelyne

Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Thanks, Jocelyne! Sep 15, 2009

I only just noticed the little birthday cake myself!
But all work and no play today; back at it...
Regards,
Marjolein

David Jessop
David Jessop  Identity Verified
Laos
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
My intentions Sep 15, 2009

Maria Karra wrote:

Come on David, first you ask about your picture, now about your profile. What next, your new website? Looks like a great way to make sure your profile gets noticed. This might be far from your intention but it's what it looks like to me. As a freelance translator you are supposed to know (or learn) how to market and present yourself. Take a look at the profiles of some experienced translators here, see what information they have included, and do the same. Use your judgment. If you registered here in 2004 -according to your profile- by now you should have a pretty good idea of what a good profile should look like.
This is my brutal truth.

My GENUINE intention in asking for peer feedback about my profile was simply that, to request others make suggestions so that I can improve it. I genuinely appreciate those comments. The ulterior motive you accused me of honestly never crossed my mind in my post.

I do not think there was anything "wrong" or "suspect" or "inappropriate" about my post as you seem to feel.

Isn´t Proz about "translators helping translators?" It perturbs me that on a regular basis, genuine requests for help are hijacked and posters are attacked or judged. Come on you Maria.

Being registered in 2004 and having experience as a translator does not imply that I cannot improve my marketing abilities. Your implication is that I am somehow "less than" because I believe I still have growing points or see that my profile is not as excellent as it could be. Of course I looked at other translator´s profiles in creating mine but having a fresh set of eyes once it is all said and done never hurts. And whose eyes are better suited than my translator peers?

In conclusion, it seems silly to me to think that if I had an ulterior motive as you accused me of having, driving traffic to my profile from peers whom I have asked to evaluate such profile would really help me. The traffic I want on my profile is from agencies or direct clients who would see me in a positive light.

David

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
A few inputs Sep 15, 2009

Hello again David lol

Well, here goes my brutal truth:

~ I don't like the moving line at the top, should be fixed in place, this way I find it very distracting

~ Your descriptions are too long

~ Too many cliché phrases, be more original. Be unique.

~ Be concise+precise, but please don't confuse this with "too concise", like for instance, when a profile reads like a list of specialty fields and projects without even full sentenc
... See more
Hello again David lol

Well, here goes my brutal truth:

~ I don't like the moving line at the top, should be fixed in place, this way I find it very distracting

~ Your descriptions are too long

~ Too many cliché phrases, be more original. Be unique.

~ Be concise+precise, but please don't confuse this with "too concise", like for instance, when a profile reads like a list of specialty fields and projects without even full sentences. I sometimes wonder what those translators think when they just list their projects without any demonstration of their writing skills in their profile. It would certainly put me off if I were an outsourcer. And I won't even comment on a completely empty "About me" section. No comment about those.

Your writing skills are good, but you need to polish them and economize with words, that is, try to say as much as possible using as little number of words as possible. The about me section is not a place for novels and long narrations, I am afraid.

Edit: Looking forward to your new thread about your profile

[Edited at 2009-09-15 18:23 GMT]
Collapse

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
German to English
+ ...
You lose with "affordable" Sep 15, 2009

With comments about how inexpensive you are and mentioning your typing speed and transcription, it looks like you are advertising yourself as a cheap secretary. It's up to you what market you work, of course, but I think you'll be looking over your shoulder a lot with the market for which you seem to be positioning yourself. Give me a reason to hire you instead of the young bilingual girl who graduated from high school, started having kids and will do the same job for two cents an hour just to h... See more
With comments about how inexpensive you are and mentioning your typing speed and transcription, it looks like you are advertising yourself as a cheap secretary. It's up to you what market you work, of course, but I think you'll be looking over your shoulder a lot with the market for which you seem to be positioning yourself. Give me a reason to hire you instead of the young bilingual girl who graduated from high school, started having kids and will do the same job for two cents an hour just to have some change in her pocket. Convince me that your technical specialties are really that (more sample translations in the profile perhaps?).

The light blue type is hard on my old eyes. More contrast would be helpful.

I like your new, cropped photo.

I don't want "affordable". I want excellence. If I am convinced of that I'll find a way to afford it.

[Edited at 2009-09-15 16:25 GMT]
Collapse

Maria Karra
Maria Karra  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
feedback Sep 15, 2009

David Jessop wrote:
My GENUINE intention in asking for peer feedback about my profile was simply that, to request others make suggestions so that I can improve it. I genuinely appreciate those comments. The ulterior motive you accused me of honestly never crossed my mind in my post.
I do not think there was anything "wrong" or "suspect" or "inappropriate" about my post as you seem to feel.

David, for someone asking for our "brutal truth", you sure took my comment quite badly. Like I said, "This might be far from your intention but it's what it looks like to me.". It's my impression. I didn't say your posting was "wrong", "suspect", or "inappropriate" (I don't know why you used quotes, those weren't my words), I pointed out how your posting might come across, and how it came across to me.

Isn´t Proz about "translators helping translators?" It perturbs me that on a regular basis, genuine requests for help are hijacked and posters are attacked or judged.

I'm sorry you feel attacked and judged.

Of course I looked at other translator´s profiles in creating mine but having a fresh set of eyes once it is all said and done never hurts. And whose eyes are better suited than my translator peers?

I agree 100%. A fresh set of eyes never hurts. In fact it can help tremendously. So get that fresh set of eyes, get two sets, get 10. Write to some friends/colleagues whose opinion you trust, and request their feedback. This forum is read by hundreds of people. Hence my comment.

In conclusion, it seems silly to me to think that if I had an ulterior motive as you accused me of having, driving traffic to my profile from peers whom I have asked to evaluate such profile would really help me. The traffic I want on my profile is from agencies or direct clients who would see me in a positive light.

Not quite that silly. A colleague reading this forum today may become your client or a good collaborator tomorrow.
Listen, I don't mean to attack or offend you in any way. I do think that asking hundreds of people for feedback about one's picture and then one's profile is a bit much (what would happen if everyone did the same?), but I am sorry if my words were harsh.

Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Take two... Sep 15, 2009

Allright then, David, here's what I think, since obviously your intentions are genuine:

on the whole, I think your profile spells 'marketing' more than 'translating'. If really wonder if outsourcers would actually take the time to read your whole profile. In my experience they want to know what you can do, when you can do it and how to reach you, basically.
More importantly, they want to know as quickly as possible, so make sure you respond to any queries the same working day.
... See more
Allright then, David, here's what I think, since obviously your intentions are genuine:

on the whole, I think your profile spells 'marketing' more than 'translating'. If really wonder if outsourcers would actually take the time to read your whole profile. In my experience they want to know what you can do, when you can do it and how to reach you, basically.
More importantly, they want to know as quickly as possible, so make sure you respond to any queries the same working day. In my opinion, when and how you respond is more important to outsourcers than how you present yourself in your profile. I always send a reply, even when only to let them know I'm not available to take on new projects.

Why not just try it out as it is and see what happens? Maybe soon you'll be asking us how to cope with being so popular!!

Best regards and good luck,
Marjolein
Collapse

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
User message? Sep 15, 2009

"Thank you for...." whatever grovelling bilge came after.

If you're that good, you'll be beating clients off with a muddy stick. Dickensian obsequiousness turns me right off, sorry. And does none of us a favour, by furthering the impression that we should be grateful for the opportunity to type until our fingers bleed in the hope that a client might toss us three groats before the end of the quarter.

[Edited at 2009-09-17 16:43 GMT]

Pablo Bouvier
Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
German to Spanish
+ ...
My Profile, Your Brutal Truth Sep 16, 2009

Well, my brutal truth is: If I were an LSP, I would NOT hire you.... That's it.

Bear in mind: I am a busy LSP manager...

a) I haven't time to read LONG profiles So, be concise as possible. A well made profile (CV, translation, or what do you want) is the one were it is not possible to remove, neither to add anything.

b) ... See more
Well, my brutal truth is: If I were an LSP, I would NOT hire you.... That's it.

Bear in mind: I am a busy LSP manager...

a) I haven't time to read LONG profiles So, be concise as possible. A well made profile (CV, translation, or what do you want) is the one were it is not possible to remove, neither to add anything.

b) I have A LOT of profiles, CV and all kind of papers to read and better things to do Your profile must attract my attention in the first two lines. If not, you have lost. Nobody reads beyond the third line, if you have not woken up his interest before

b) I don't care on how you get your work done, I care about wich benefits I can get from your job Think about at least three key benefits you can provide me or my business. State them clearly at your profile.

A though for food: ¿Why should I hire you (and only you and not another translator)?

[Editado a las 2009-09-16 02:14 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

My Profile, Your Brutal Truth

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »