Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 01:50
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
The big grey beard Sep 14, 2009

Susan Andrew wrote:

Photoshop a bald patch in and give yourself a big grey beard if you want!

It will scare the clients away!

Edit: David, the current picture is better in my opinion. You looked somewhat like a young college student on the first one.

[Edited at 2009-09-14 19:01 GMT]

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Dutch to English
+ ...
From the society for the protection of dancing spidermen and women Sep 14, 2009

Edward Vreeburg wrote:

(Having said that I believe some people won't hire anybody that doesn't displaye their own portrait, but use a beachball, spiderman or some other other gif..)

===
Ed

I am usually swamped with work so it has never affected me

Anne-Marie Grant (X)
Anne-Marie Grant (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:50
French to English
+ ...
Marijke's photo Sep 14, 2009

is hypnotic. I can imagine a client falling under its spell...

David Jessop
David Jessop  Identity Verified
Laos
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks. No really. Thanks Sep 14, 2009

Thanks for outing me Gianni. No really, thanks. You see, I actually AM Bryan Adams. David Jessop is just my stage name.

Much obliged.

David

Gianni Pastore wrote:

Lawyer-Linguist wrote:

you look like a dead ringer for a younger Jason Donovan, so no complaints here

Seriously, far better picture.

David is the ultimate Bryan Adams lookalike!
G

David Jessop
David Jessop  Identity Verified
Laos
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Mid-late 20s is my true age Sep 14, 2009

Luisa Ramos wrote:

Amy Duncan wrote:

...you could grow some facial hair! (Sorry, I couldn't resist)

Seriously, though, I kind of disagree with the others about pic # 2. I think you look older when you don't smile.

I too disagree about pic number 2. I vote for number 1; cropped. You look handsome and mature. Yeah, smiling makes you look younger.

Great, mid-late 20s is a good age for a "young professional" (AKA yuppie in some parts) ((in other words treat me seriously and let's go have a beer afterwards)).

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 19:50
English to French
+ ...
Keep it simple Sep 14, 2009

Your picture is perfectly fine if you ask me. But I am the type of person who doesn't judge based on looks.

However, even though there is a lot of constructive criticism in this thread, I find that some of it is going overboard. In a sense, you are using that picture so that potential clients see who you are. I think it is perfectly fine to display who you really are instead of trying to guess what your prospects would like you to look like. They are not hiring you for your good loo
... See more
Your picture is perfectly fine if you ask me. But I am the type of person who doesn't judge based on looks.

However, even though there is a lot of constructive criticism in this thread, I find that some of it is going overboard. In a sense, you are using that picture so that potential clients see who you are. I think it is perfectly fine to display who you really are instead of trying to guess what your prospects would like you to look like. They are not hiring you for your good looks.

Some of the comments in this thread seem to recommend you try to look like someone you are not. I am against that. Those who recommend you control small details on your picture tend to have profile pictures I am not impressed with--they look like movie stars, and that scares me off, because I can imagine them having a fitting attitude...

I think the only things that matter are that you look clean, organized and that you smile--your picture already has all that. The rest is pretty much irrelevant. Besides, some people on this site use pictures of their babies--they get work nonetheless.

Your picture is fine. You should only change it if you really do personally feel something is wrong with it, just to feel better about it (which builds self-confidence, always handy when you are in business). If you are uncomfortable with it, change it. If you like it, keep it. I would hire you with this picture, provided you have what it takes to do a good job.
Collapse

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:50
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
The other side of the hill (if you're over it) Sep 14, 2009

As ICL says, some may want to look younger. I experimented with a few photos before settling on my present one, but at 78, I didn't want one making me look any older than I am!

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:50
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Congratulations Sep 15, 2009

Congratulations on being concerned about your image. As you can see, there are many who are not, because their images are inappropriate in many ways. Even my own is not very good, but at least it is honest because it reflects how I always look. I know I'm not getting any work because I look like a movie star. After all, I meet many of my clients personally, so there is no fooling them.

But yes, your image does look good and yes, you are young. I think age is always an advantage in o
... See more
Congratulations on being concerned about your image. As you can see, there are many who are not, because their images are inappropriate in many ways. Even my own is not very good, but at least it is honest because it reflects how I always look. I know I'm not getting any work because I look like a movie star. After all, I meet many of my clients personally, so there is no fooling them.

But yes, your image does look good and yes, you are young. I think age is always an advantage in our profession because it spells experience, and experience is a vital ingredient to success. But good preparation and hard work must start when you are young so you can become credible, and good work and energy can overcome any prejudice there might be against youth.

The fact is, we older people appear to be very much in the minority. Most of the universe appears to be much younger, so we are not your competition, they are. So make the best of your youth and good looks, for with any luck you will end up with a lot of experience and looking like me.

By the way, my photo is about 4 years old, I need a new one.
Collapse

Cristina Heraud-van Tol
Cristina Heraud-van Tol  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 18:50
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
What a good trick... Sep 15, 2009

...to get people focused on you and increase the number of visitors to your profile Just kidding! I think this new picture you chose looks very good. The last one, showed you more mature, though more serious too.

People also tell me that I look younger than my actual age. Once I tried to teach Spanish to an American who needed it. He came for a private class, looked at me, and said, "Hey, but if you're just a girl!".
... See more
...to get people focused on you and increase the number of visitors to your profile Just kidding! I think this new picture you chose looks very good. The last one, showed you more mature, though more serious too.

People also tell me that I look younger than my actual age. Once I tried to teach Spanish to an American who needed it. He came for a private class, looked at me, and said, "Hey, but if you're just a girl!". After 15 minutes, he paid and left. The class had been scheduled for one hour *sigh*

The good thing of all is that if you are hired, make a beeeeeeeautiful translation, and they still think you're very young, then you hold all the aces. They will think you're a whiz kid and will overwhelm you with work.

Greetings!
Collapse

Annamaria Arlotta
Annamaria Arlotta  Identity Verified
English to Italian
for Jack Sep 15, 2009

Well, congratulations on the way you look. You are doing great. Your picture reminds me of a Navy officer, or else a yacht owner. Il the latter case, please feel free to contact me directly...

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:50
German to English
+ ...
Logo? Sep 15, 2009

I prefer to use a logo. I find that looking young - and I mean, I am pushing 40, but still get carded buying alcohol here in the States (where you have to be 21 to buy it!!) - is detrimental when trying to project the image of a serious translator / businessperson. So, by not using my photo, my work history and my work itself can stand on its own, and people can be surprised much later if I choose to share my picture with them.

Weronika Tomaszewska-Collins
Weronika Tomaszewska-Collins  Identity Verified
United Arab Emirates
Local time: 03:50
English to Polish
+ ...
Hmmm Sep 16, 2009

I think it's a bit like a dating service - you will find people for whom you are too young and ones for whom young is great! I'm not sure whether there has been any research done on what the majority likes. If yes, then I'd love to know what the results have been, as I haven't given any thought to my picture to be honest.

giuseppina franich
giuseppina franich
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
keep that photo Sep 24, 2009

David Jessop wrote:

Hi!

I have been using my profile pic for a variety of marketing functions lately. A friend of mine saw it and he said, "Hey! Nice pic but you look like you're 18. I wouldn't hire you with that photo." The pic was taken when I was 24 and I'm 28 now....I have more than five years of experience in the industry so don't want to give the idea that I am a total n00b but also want to present a young and fresh face.

Please take a look and give me yer brutal truth.

Best wishes,
David

Bryan Crumpler
Bryan Crumpler  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:50
Dutch to English
+ ...
Hmmmz... Apr 26, 2010

I wouldn't know in terms of getting projects...

I have noticed, however, that it might have some influence in how seriously your KudoZ answers are rated or taken into consideration... and THAT is a fact.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does my pic make me look "too young?"

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »