Thread poster: David Jessop
David Jessop
David Jessop  Identity Verified
Laos
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sep 14, 2009

Hi!

I have been using my profile pic for a variety of marketing functions lately. A friend of mine saw it and he said, "Hey! Nice pic but you look like you're 18. I wouldn't hire you with that photo." The pic was taken when I was 24 and I'm 28 now....I have more than five years of experience in the industry so don't want to give the idea that I am a total n00b but also want to present a young and fresh face.

Please take a look and give me yer brutal truth...
See more
Hi!

I have been using my profile pic for a variety of marketing functions lately. A friend of mine saw it and he said, "Hey! Nice pic but you look like you're 18. I wouldn't hire you with that photo." The pic was taken when I was 24 and I'm 28 now....I have more than five years of experience in the industry so don't want to give the idea that I am a total n00b but also want to present a young and fresh face.

Please take a look and give me yer brutal truth.

Best wishes,
David
Collapse

Edward Vreeburg
Edward Vreeburg  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 01:04
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
perhaps (funny question though) Sep 14, 2009

... you never know...

On the small version it does look like a school outfit a little, but on the larger picture in your profile you look a bit older.

Would it keep me from hiring you if you qualitfy for the job, I think not....

(Having said that I believe some people won't hire anybody that doesn't displaye their own portrait, but use a beachball, spiderman or some other other gif..)

===
Ed

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 00:04
Dutch to English
+ ...
Honestly? Sep 14, 2009

I've always thought you were around 21 in the picture.

On the other hand, I've also thought it's a nice picture -- you look earnest, yet easy to get along with, but yes, perhaps a little inexperienced.

FWIW, I'd update it, as it's four years old anyhow.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I always thought... Sep 14, 2009

...that you were very young. Maybe it is the shirt's collar outside of the pullover? Try putting it inside the pullover and repeat the question...

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Take it on the chin Sep 14, 2009

Yes, I do think you look too young, David - the fresh-faced photo might make some potential clients associate your image with lack of experience, although I'm sure your work will belie that. How about a photo taken after a long journey (or the holiday period with young children) - that will do wonders for the aging process! Of course the rest of us are busy trying to look for photos where we don't look quite so ancient...

As others have said, the question of what displayed image peo
... See more
Yes, I do think you look too young, David - the fresh-faced photo might make some potential clients associate your image with lack of experience, although I'm sure your work will belie that. How about a photo taken after a long journey (or the holiday period with young children) - that will do wonders for the aging process! Of course the rest of us are busy trying to look for photos where we don't look quite so ancient...

As others have said, the question of what displayed image people choose always bemuses me - among other reactions, I am surprised (at myself) to discover that I have a negative reaction to the many "vampy" photographs out there of female colleagues. Or maybe I should choose a different image of myself?! There was a poll on this some while back (on what photo you choose to use I mean).

While I'm jesting a bit here, this is a serious point because we're talking about your public image for potential clients, and my serious response is definitely that you should update.
Collapse

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:04
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Yes, the picture looks like a school picture Sep 14, 2009

I like that your picture is an actual professional studio picture, not a snapshot from a vacation.
But you do look very young, much like a school picture.
A few things you could change for the next picture:
- Your hair looks a bit uneven in this one, I mean the front, you could fix that
- Wear a nice collared shirt, preferably solid color, no pullover - you can even wear a tie (jacket may not be necessary, but you can try that, too)
- Whatever color you are wearing,
... See more
I like that your picture is an actual professional studio picture, not a snapshot from a vacation.
But you do look very young, much like a school picture.
A few things you could change for the next picture:
- Your hair looks a bit uneven in this one, I mean the front, you could fix that
- Wear a nice collared shirt, preferably solid color, no pullover - you can even wear a tie (jacket may not be necessary, but you can try that, too)
- Whatever color you are wearing, make sure it is at least slightly different from the background color (not like in your current picture)
- Before you upload the picture crop it so that more of your face is shown.
I hope this helps.
Katalin
Collapse

Kathryn Litherland
Kathryn Litherland  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:04
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
profile images Sep 14, 2009

aceavila - Noni wrote:

As others have said, the question of what displayed image people choose always bemuses me - among other reactions, I am surprised (at myself) to discover that I have a negative reaction to the many "vampy" photographs out there of female colleagues. Or maybe I should choose a different image of myself?! There was a poll on this some while back (on what photo you choose to use I mean).

While I'm jesting a bit here, this is a serious point because we're talking about your public image for potential clients, and my serious response is definitely that you should update.

To me, your profile photo indicates a person who is easily bemused (and I mean that in a good way) and lighthearted. I prefer to work with people who are not wound too tightly, so that's an entirely good thing from my perspective!

As far David's original question, I'd say that yes, especially in the thumbnail version the profile photo does make him look a good bit younger than he actually is. I suppose I prefer non-studio shots, because they allow a bit more personality to shine through, I think.

Karen Stokes
Karen Stokes  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
French to English
Hopefully not too brutal but... Sep 14, 2009

I'd probably update it - coming from the UK the colours say 'school uniform' to me and I think that's what made me think you were a lot younger and therefore less experienced than you actually are - or maybe just much, much older and using a very out-of-date photograph!

All the best,

Karen

David Jessop
David Jessop  Identity Verified
Laos
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks and whaddya think of these? Sep 14, 2009

So first of all thank you for your responses.

It is clear that while my pic is endearing, it does indeed come off as a bit young. So I am wondering if you could give me your feedback on the three photos I have posted at the Picasa Web albums link below:

http://picasaweb.google.com/david.jessop/PossibleProfilePhotos?feat=directlink... See more
So first of all thank you for your responses.

It is clear that while my pic is endearing, it does indeed come off as a bit young. So I am wondering if you could give me your feedback on the three photos I have posted at the Picasa Web albums link below:

http://picasaweb.google.com/david.jessop/PossibleProfilePhotos?feat=directlink

Perhaps one of these is as endearing yet demonstrates my older and wiser self.

Thanks again.

Best,
David
Collapse

Karen Stokes
Karen Stokes  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
French to English
No. 2 Sep 14, 2009

But I'd crop it to head and shoulders.

Katalin Szilárd
Katalin Szilárd  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
2. picture Sep 14, 2009

Definitely the 2nd picture!

Rebekka Groß (X)
Rebekka Groß (X)  Identity Verified
English to German
much better Sep 14, 2009

I like the 2nd picture:

But I'd crop it - link removed as David's seen my suggestion

[Edited at 2009-09-14 16:00 GMT]

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Second picture Sep 14, 2009

But David, for God's sake, you ARE young!!

Andrea Flaßbeck (X)
Andrea Flaßbeck (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
No 2 Sep 14, 2009

I also like the second picture, and I, too, think you should crop it. (Well done, Rebekka)

Cheers,
Andrea

Ivette Camargo López
Ivette Camargo López  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Age in profile pictures Sep 14, 2009

Hi David,

This is going to sound completely off topic, but your thread made me think about how we change about "photo looks" with age.

Here you are worrying about looking too young, when some of us try hard to look younger.

And about your new possible photos, I also vote for # 2, btw.

Kathryn Litherland wrote:

I prefer to work with people who are not wound too tightly, so that's an entirely good thing from my perspective!

Me too, Kathryn, and that is why I think that if people choose to post a profile picture it should be a combination of both, your "lighhearted" side and your professional side. Not always easy to achieve this, though...

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does my pic make me look "too young?"

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »