Husband and wife team - marketing ideas needed
Thread poster: H Barrett
H Barrett
H Barrett
English to French
Jan 5, 2009

Hi

I would like to ask you all how you would go about marketing a French/English husband and wife team translating from English to French and French to English?

Would you use a joint CV to highlight the fact that there is expertise, experience and in-depth cultural knowledge for both the source and target languages?

Or would you forget the dual approach and treat the business as 2 individuals who happen to work in the same business, contacting agencies sepa
... See more
Hi

I would like to ask you all how you would go about marketing a French/English husband and wife team translating from English to French and French to English?

Would you use a joint CV to highlight the fact that there is expertise, experience and in-depth cultural knowledge for both the source and target languages?

Or would you forget the dual approach and treat the business as 2 individuals who happen to work in the same business, contacting agencies separately?

I look forward to your opinions, thanks.
Collapse

Valentina Novakova
Valentina Novakova
Bulgaria
Local time: 19:04
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Separate approach Jan 9, 2009

You are 2 individuals, I find it strange to use one CV and promote yourselves as one.

You are different people and I am sure everyone has its own style. You might offer quality in technical translations, your wife may be a wonderful poetry translator, and vise versa)

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 17:04
German to English
+ ...
Team marketing works Jan 9, 2009

I would refer to the "CV" as a business profile perhaps, and use it to describe the unique services that you offer as a team. Customers can presumably get competent service in-house in both language directions, checking against the source text for accuracy may be better with your arrangement, etc.

I use a joint marketing approach most of the time I submit a job quotation, though my arrangements are a bit different than yours, since my partner and I work in the same language directio
... See more
I would refer to the "CV" as a business profile perhaps, and use it to describe the unique services that you offer as a team. Customers can presumably get competent service in-house in both language directions, checking against the source text for accuracy may be better with your arrangement, etc.

I use a joint marketing approach most of the time I submit a job quotation, though my arrangements are a bit different than yours, since my partner and I work in the same language direction. However, she was married to a native speaker of her second language for many years and used his skill as an editor very successfully in her marketing and actual work.

Some of this will depend, of course, on your working areas being compatible. Just think honestly about how the partnership allows each of you to offer more than you could alone and weave a good, honest story from that.
Collapse

PRen (X)
PRen (X)
Canada
Local time: 13:04
French to English
+ ...
I agree with Kevin Jan 9, 2009

... and remember, because you can market yourselves as a team, offering complete French-English English-French services, you can focus on end clients, not agencies. A lot of end clients use agencies simply because they don't want to go to the bother of finding one translator for each pair - you have an advantage in that you can offer both, from the same workplace, thus ensuring consistency. (And if you happen to live in Canada, that's a real bonus, let me tell you).

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 13:04
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Does marriage make any difference in business? Jan 10, 2009

You two could be simply business partners. I wonder where the fact of being a married couple enters the translation issue.

Here at home it's all very clear-cut: I am an EN-PT translator, my wife is an ESL teacher in a PT-speaking country. I don't teach English, she doesn't translate.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Husband and wife team - marketing ideas needed

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »