John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 23:53
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Dec 12, 2013

In case anyone noticed, close to a million machine translated words of legal and technical topics, to be post-edited in 30 days! Takes my breath away!

I'm just glad I'm not the end client, counting on the accuracy of these legal and technical documents.

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yikes! Dec 12, 2013

Even at .02 a word (.01 for the agency and .01 for the "translator") that is still $19,000 of the client's money that they may as well just flush down the toilet.

Better to pay someone $3000 to distill the information down to the 50,000 words they really need and then pay someone .20 a word to translate. They would spend less money and have a translation they can use for something other than the bathroom or lining a birdcage.

[Edited at 2013-12-12 03:38 GMT]

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
What a wast of the internet Dec 12, 2013

and electricity -- so many potentially harmful words.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A million machine translated words

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »