Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Any freeware desktop translators for paid Google service?
Thread poster: Samuel Murray
FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:29
English to Hungarian
+ ...
block Oct 30, 2013

esperantisto wrote:

Samuel Murray wrote:

I was under the impression that using HTTP requests in a way that does not involve a web browser is not allowed by Google

It’s debatable since the Google rules are quite vague. And from the practical point of view, an HTTP request is just an HTTP request. How can they tell?

They probably just monitor the number of requests you send in a day based on your IP and block you if it's too many. If a program is responsible for a lot of abuse and it has the decency to identify itself in the useragent string, it will probably get blocked too. I'm sure they have a "browsers only" constraint but that only matters in that it serves as justification for shutting out programmes that misbehave.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
All very interesting, but not relevant for me Oct 30, 2013

We all wrote:
They probably just monitor the number of requests you send in a day based on your IP and block you if it's too many.

Yes, that is an interesting discussion, but my question relates to software (or a web portal, perhaps) that would allow me to specify my own Google Translate ID that I pay for via their API site. Using such a tool would ensure that I get the best quality translations available and that my source texts are covered by the API's privacy policy and not the public service's privacy policy.

If I had a bit more web programming skills I would have created a web page with a text field on it and a field where one can enter one's Google Translate ID, with a submit button, so that I (or anyone who has a paid ID and whose browser can remember what was filled in into a form) can use the service easily.

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:29
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
What for? Oct 30, 2013

Samuel Murray wrote:

I would have created a web page with a text field on it and a field where one can enter one's Google Translate ID, with a submit button, so that I (or anyone who has a paid ID and whose browser can remember what was filled in into a form) can use the service easily.

What for? Didn’t you know about translate.google.com?

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Esperantisto Oct 30, 2013

esperantisto wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:
I would have created a web page with a text field on it and a field where one can enter one's Google Translate ID, with a submit button, so that I (or anyone who has a paid ID and whose browser can remember what was filled in into a form) can use the service easily.

What for? Didn’t you know about translate.google.com?

When last did you use translate.google.com extensively? Like I said in previous posts, it munges the translation to make it less useful for translators. For one or two sentences at a time, it's fine, but as soon as you paste large pieces of text, Google intentionally breaks the text a bit. It changes the initial capitals of some words to lowercase, and it adds spaces before almost all fullstops, commas, brackets and hyphens, etc. This does not happen when I use GTT (for which you have to log in and upload a file). My reasoning is that if I use an API key, then this would also not happen, so even if I can use a web page, then this munging would not happen either, as long as I use the API key.

Alex Lago
Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not tried this but it sounds as though it's what you want Oct 30, 2013

http://www.onlinedoctranslator.com/index.html

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:29
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Last week Oct 31, 2013

Samuel Murray wrote:

When last did you use translate.google.com extensively?

Last week by feeding texts of various length. Actually, I do notice the behavior you describe but Google translations require editing anyway.

Heartsome Support
Heartsome Support
Local time: 04:29
another trick Nov 1, 2013

Smuel, If your desktop or cloud based CAT does not support Google Translate, you may export it to exchange file format, such as XLIFF or TMX, then use another familiar CAT supporting Google Translate to translate the XLIFF or TMX. After the translation is done, you may import/recycle/leverage the translation to your CAT.

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Heartsome Nov 1, 2013

Heartsome Support wrote:
If your desktop or cloud based CAT does not support Google Translate, you may export it to exchange file format, such as XLIFF or TMX, then use another familiar CAT supporting Google Translate to translate the XLIFF or TMX. After the translation is done, you may import/recycle/leverage the translation to your CAT.

I understand that that option is available, but that is exactly what I'm trying to avoid -- having to juggle various programs and files that each require its own workflow and shortcuts. If I have a text file source.txt then I want to use one, single system and produce target.txt, preferably in the same amount of time as it would have taken me to paste the text into translate.google.com and hitting the "Translate" button.

I suspect I'm going to have to write something like that myself anyway (in... AutoIt).

It's a pity that the JavaScript method described on the API's own web site doesn't work for documents longer than about 1200 characters, otherwise I would have been able to create an HTML file (that sits on my desktop, i.e. not on some web site) that I can put my API key into, to do quick translations. It might still be possible to do that but it would require a little more advanced JavaScript programming than I can manage as a dumb linguist at this time.

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Centillian version 0.1 Nov 1, 2013

Samuel Murray wrote:
I suspect I'm going to have to write something like that myself anyway (in... AutoIt).

Here it is (a very early version):
http://wikisend.com/download/346088/centillian%20v01.zip

Input file = plaintext file in UTF8Y with one segment per line, using Windows line breaks

Flames welcome.

Luiz Barucke
Luiz Barucke  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 17:29
Spanish to Portuguese
+ ...
QTranslate Nov 1, 2013

Another practical option is QTranslate, wich is a portable (it doesn't need installation and you can save in your pen drive to use it anywhere with Windows) freeware.

It's very light and easy to use. You just select the text (from a word to a complete text of any size) and press double control (configurable hotkeys). It will open a window with the original text and its translation.

The best of it is that you can use simultaneously several translation servers (google, mi
... See more
Another practical option is QTranslate, wich is a portable (it doesn't need installation and you can save in your pen drive to use it anywhere with Windows) freeware.

It's very light and easy to use. You just select the text (from a word to a complete text of any size) and press double control (configurable hotkeys). It will open a window with the original text and its translation.

The best of it is that you can use simultaneously several translation servers (google, microsoft, babylon, sdl and more) and dictionaries (google, babylon, wordreference, wikipedia and many others).

http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=2237

[Editada em 2013-11-01 13:23 GMT]

[Editada em 2013-11-01 13:25 GMT]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Luiz Nov 1, 2013

Luiz Alexandre Barucke Marcondes wrote:
Another practical option is QTranslate.

Thanks, this application seems to do exactly what I wanted, and it works without the API key.

http://quest-app.appspot.com/home

DLyons
DLyons  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 21:29
Spanish to English
+ ...
Some care advised. Nov 3, 2013

There's a brief review at
http://www.killerstartups.com/web-app-tools/onlinedoctranslator-com-translate-office-documents/

It seems to be an Indian startup and the interface is a bit clunky, but none of that matters too much.
The real issue is that it runs Java applets that could read, copy, change, most files on your computer as well as translating the one you point it to.

That's just too much trust to give to even big established companies. I backed away from actually translating anything with it because of the risk so I can't comment on how well it preserves formatting.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Any freeware desktop translators for paid Google service?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »