Survey: "Post-Editing of Machine-Translated Documents (MT)" - help needed
Thread poster: gizmore
gizmore
gizmore
English to German
Sep 9, 2011

Survey: "Post-Editing of Machine-Translated Documents (MT)"

For my speech on the above mentioned topic on October 20, 2011 at the Tekom annual conference in Wiesbaden, Germany (TERM 19, room 6.2, see http://www.tekom.de/tagung/referenten.jsp, -> contributor: Mohr, Gabriele), I would very much appreciate it if you would answer and return the questions below by October 4, 2011. All a
... See more
Survey: "Post-Editing of Machine-Translated Documents (MT)"

For my speech on the above mentioned topic on October 20, 2011 at the Tekom annual conference in Wiesbaden, Germany (TERM 19, room 6.2, see http://www.tekom.de/tagung/referenten.jsp, -> contributor: Mohr, Gabriele), I would very much appreciate it if you would answer and return the questions below by October 4, 2011. All answers will, of course, be treated confidentially and shall only be used for statistical purposes. Please mark multiple-choice questions with an "X" and answer any other questions in writing. Please send your answers and any queries to: [email protected]
Many thanks in advance for your support!

1. Are you a freelance translator?

o Yes
o No

2. Have you already been offered projects dealing with the post-editing of machine-translated documents and did you accept these projects?

o Yes
o No
o Yes/No: [Your comment]

3. If you have accepted such projects: What was your impression of the quality of the machine translation?

o Good
o Needs improvement
o Poor

4. What percentage of your "standard" word rate were you paid for machine-translated projects?

5. Are you able to assess what percentage of the machine translation you had to redo completely, i. e. from scratch?

o >/= 25 %
o >/= 50 %
o >/= 75 %
o >/= 90 %

6. Which subject areas did the projects deal with (e.g. IT, automotive, medical, life sciences, mechanical engineering, etc.)?

7. Would you be interested in doing more MT post-editing jobs?
If yes, please state reasons

If no, please state reasons

8. What is your overall impression of the post-editing of machine-translated documents?

9. What are the benefits?

a. For the customer

b. For the translator

10. What are the disadvantages?

a. For the customer

b. For the translator

11. What are the risks?

a. For the customer

b. For the translator

12. Are there any requirements that, in your opinion, have to be met to make machine translation a helpful tool for translators?

13. Any further comments?

[Bearbeitet am 2011-09-10 10:03 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Survey: "Post-Editing of Machine-Translated Documents (MT)" - help needed

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »