Thread poster: veratek
veratek
veratek
Brazil
Local time: 23:14
French to English
+ ...
Dec 20, 2010

Take a look at this "news" site. I had the impression THE ENTIRE site was published using machine translation! And they actually have an entire team of "reporters!"

http://frenchtribune.com/

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:14
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Why do you think it's MT? Dec 21, 2010

Why do you think they used MT on this site? I don't think the language is great but it is far from anything you could achieve by means of MT, also what would be the source language? Most news come from English speaking countries.

Best Regards
Stanislaw

veratek
veratek
Brazil
Local time: 23:14
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
it's bad Dec 21, 2010

"Why do you think they used MT on this site?"

Because it's so awkward, it has convoluted grammatical structures everywhere, and it's so bad. It could be simply real bad English, produced by humans. However, it doesn't seem much different from what I've seen by done through MT. (I hadn't investigated any sources for their "news.")

IrimiConsulting
IrimiConsulting  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 04:14
Member (2010)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Here is another one Feb 2, 2011

www.worldlingo.com

The Swedish pages under the links in the top menu are definitely machine translated.

I find it hilarious that the owner is a company providing language services. It's like when I worked as an in-house translator and applied for new translators -- some of the applications made it painfully clear that the applicant was not qualified.

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 04:14
French to German
+ ...
Whatever it is... Feb 2, 2011

veratek wrote:

Take a look at this "news" site. I had the impression THE ENTIRE site was published using machine translation! And they actually have an entire team of "reporters!"

http://frenchtribune.com/

but it is probably not QE or even standard BE (from my understanding as a translator from English).

[Edited at 2011-02-02 12:22 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

An entire machine-translated news site?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »