build a model language
Thread poster: cyrine84
Jul 26, 2010

Hi all,
I want to buid a 5 gram language model, so i want to know if it is necessary to do these three steps :
Tokenize training data,

Filter out long sentences
and
Lowercase training data
and why ?

Any one can help me

Best regards

plotinus
plotinus
Local time: 18:05
Italian to Portuguese
+ ...
It depends Aug 12, 2010

Hi cyrine84,

a language model is not a unique solution/tool that you can apply to every single situation. In short, a language model will (and should) only model the characteristics that you want it to model. You should also be aware that the size of the model (you want a 5-gram model) is also subject to these restrictions: for many languages, such a large gram size would either result in an extremely large model in terms of bytes (which can make it slow or even impossible to load i
... See more
Hi cyrine84,

a language model is not a unique solution/tool that you can apply to every single situation. In short, a language model will (and should) only model the characteristics that you want it to model. You should also be aware that the size of the model (you want a 5-gram model) is also subject to these restrictions: for many languages, such a large gram size would either result in an extremely large model in terms of bytes (which can make it slow or even impossible to load in memory) or in a model that needs to be purged.

Anyway, the filtering of long sentences is usually not necessary for language models if you are not concerned about the time it will take to build the model itself (however, it matters a lot if you want candidates for statistical machine translation), because you will usually filter out uncommon grams (i.e., grams whose frequencies are below a given value, usually obtained with an estimator).

The lowercasing of the training data is usually done both to make a short/faster language model and to make it more general and less context-specific; if you are not sure about lowercasing or not (i.e., if what you want to model is not case-significant), you should lowercase it.

Could you be a little more specific about what you want to model and why?

- Tiago
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

build a model language

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »