Thread poster: Lizette Britz
Shouguang Cao
Shouguang Cao  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 01:01
English to Chinese
+ ...
Thanks guys Sep 23, 2017

Querying three engines simultaneously is a great idea. I will make it work.
I will check out Yandex.
No, I didn't implement duplicate check.

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Local time: 18:01
Different results, with different quality Sep 24, 2017

Shouguang Cao wrote:

I will check out Yandex.

Your users will enjoy that.

Lately, I have been querying 4 MT engines simultaneously (in CafeTran as you might guess).

The results are so different in quality. My favourite is DeepL, then Yandex, followed by Google Translate and Microsoft Translator. Though, for IT related texts, Microsoft Translator is better (who wonders ...).

Different language pairs and different subject fields can very likely cause different MT rankings .

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:01
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
:-) Sep 25, 2017

Shouguang Cao wrote:

I will check out Yandex.
No, I didn't implement duplicate check.

Cool, looking forward to that!

Michael

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
small problem (keyboard shortcut not working all the time on first try) Sep 25, 2017

Hi Dallas,

I'm not sure what's causing it, but I am having an intermittent problem where I need to press the keyboard shortcut a few times in order for GT4T to work. Usually on the third try it will work, but this is obviously kind of annoying.

I thought it might be interference from an AHK script, so I temporarily switched them all off, but this didn't help. I also tried switching off my AV, which also didn't help.

I also tried switching off "Wait for key
... See more
Hi Dallas,

I'm not sure what's causing it, but I am having an intermittent problem where I need to press the keyboard shortcut a few times in order for GT4T to work. Usually on the third try it will work, but this is obviously kind of annoying.

I thought it might be interference from an AHK script, so I temporarily switched them all off, but this didn't help. I also tried switching off my AV, which also didn't help.

I also tried switching off "Wait for key release", which seemed to help for a while, but now the problem is back.

Capture

Any tips?

Michael
Collapse

Shouguang Cao
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
I am aware of this Sep 25, 2017

Hi Michael,

I am aware of this problem especially in Word or other memory intensive programs. Sorry I am not able to solve it. But if it happens a lot, a solution could be click on the GT4T system tray icon and then click 'Reload'.

Dallas

Michael Joseph Wdowiak Beijer wrote:

Hi Dallas,

I also tried switching off "Wait for key release", which seemed to help for a while, but now the problem is back.

Capture

Any tips?

Michael

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Thanks Dallas, yes, I have been resorting to "Reload" quite frequently! Sep 29, 2017

Shouguang Cao wrote:

Hi Michael,

I am aware of this problem especially in Word or other memory intensive programs. Sorry I am not able to solve it. But if it happens a lot, a solution could be click on the GT4T system tray icon and then click 'Reload'.

Dallas

Hi Dallas,

Capture

Any tips?

Michael

Shouguang Cao
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
rewrite Sep 29, 2017

I think there might be a problem accessing the clipboard under certain programs. I will be rewriting some major parts of the program hoping to solve this.
Thanks Michael. Discussions like this are the major incentive for improvement.

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Cool, looking forward to the rewrite! Oct 3, 2017

Shouguang Cao wrote:

I think there might be a problem accessing the clipboard under certain programs. I will be rewriting some major parts of the program hoping to solve this.

I have been happily using GT4T in Studio 2017 for the last couple of days.

Shouguang Cao
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
new version out Oct 3, 2017

UPDATE: version 5.40 and 5.41 are bugged. DeepL won't work properly. Please update again if you are using them!

Hi colleagues,

I have updated GT4T to version 5.42:

1) You can now query all available MT engines simultaneously (use shortcut: Ctrl+Shift+j or select at setup). The request is sent to all engines at the same time to reduce lag.

2) Yandex is added.

3) Linguee is added to Dictionary (shortcut ctrl+d)

4) Micros
... See more
UPDATE: version 5.40 and 5.41 are bugged. DeepL won't work properly. Please update again if you are using them!

Hi colleagues,

I have updated GT4T to version 5.42:

1) You can now query all available MT engines simultaneously (use shortcut: Ctrl+Shift+j or select at setup). The request is sent to all engines at the same time to reduce lag.

2) Yandex is added.

3) Linguee is added to Dictionary (shortcut ctrl+d)

4) Microsoft Terminology is fixed

Thank you!

Dallas

[Edited at 2017-10-03 22:30 GMT]
Collapse

David Jessop
David Jessop  Identity Verified
Laos
Spanish to English
+ ...
GT4T in Studio? Oct 5, 2017

Shouguang Cao wrote:

What are the advantages of using GT4T in Studio instead of activating Automatic Translation? I am sure I am just missing something, just cannot see the benefit.

Thanks.

Shouguang Cao
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
more control Oct 5, 2017

Hi David,

1. With GT4T you can choose a word, a phrase within a Studio segment to be translated and replaced by MT.
2. You can select a word, a phrase or a segment and get translation suggestions in a pop-up. Then you can pick one to insert.
3. You can get different MT results in a pop-up to choose from.
4. A no-nonsense simple glossary feature: step 1: select a phrase and add a translation. step 2: When you see the phrase again, select it again and press a keyboar
... See more
Hi David,

1. With GT4T you can choose a word, a phrase within a Studio segment to be translated and replaced by MT.
2. You can select a word, a phrase or a segment and get translation suggestions in a pop-up. Then you can pick one to insert.
3. You can get different MT results in a pop-up to choose from.
4. A no-nonsense simple glossary feature: step 1: select a phrase and add a translation. step 2: When you see the phrase again, select it again and press a keyboard shortcut to have it replaced with the translation you added in step 1.

So when you feel that it could be useless for MT to translate a long and complex sentence, GT4T can still make MT useful as it allows you to pick any section of the sentence you feel that MT will be helpful.

A typical way working with Studio and GT4T would be press alt+insert to copy source to target. Use ctrl+shift+left(right) arrow to select a phrase (rather than the whole segment) and press ctrl+j (GT4T shortuct) to get the phrase replaced by MT translation, press ctrl+win+j to get a list of alternative translations, and press ctrl+shift+j to get a list of all MT results (DeepL, Google, Microsoft, Yandex)

Message for Michael: The major rewrite is done! You don't need to do lots of reloads now. Many of the age-old bugs (hotkey stops functioning, lots of 'failed to copy to clipboard', and temporary freeze when no action is possible) are gone! Thank you for 'pushing' me do what I should have done long time ago.

Dallas

David Jessop wrote:

Shouguang Cao wrote:

What are the advantages of using GT4T in Studio instead of activating Automatic Translation? I am sure I am just missing something, just cannot see the benefit.

Thanks.

[Edited at 2017-10-05 09:31 GMT]
Collapse

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
a few advantages Oct 5, 2017

David Jessop wrote:

Shouguang Cao wrote:

Thanks.

Currently, there are a few advantages. One of these is that Studio does not yet offer DeepL support (although I'm sure they will add it soon, once the official API is released).
Another advantage is that you can send only fragments to (multiple) MT engines, which is something Studio cannot yet do, although it is possible in DVX, CafeTran and, and maybe some other CAT tools.
and there is of course the advantage of being able to see up to five different MT engines in a little list, which is cool.
Plus, GT4T can also access Linguee's dictionary (Ctrl+D), and even has its own little glossary system (based on Excel files).

Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Poland
Local time: 18:01
English to Polish
+ ...
Problem with the new version Oct 5, 2017

Hi,
I had to revert to 5.35, because one of the later versions didn't display DeepL results. I set DeepL in the setup window, but then it went back to Google and presented results from Google, Microsoft and Yandex.

Shouguang Cao
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
works everywhere Oct 5, 2017

Another one would be GT4T works anywhere you can type, in all applications, including web-based CATs like crowdin.com, not just in Studio.

Currently, there are a few advantages. One of these is that Studio does not yet offer DeepL support (although I'm sure they will add it soon, once the official API is released).
Another advantage is that you can send only fragments to (multiple) MT engines, which is something Studio cannot yet do, although it is possible in DVX, CafeTran and, and maybe some other CAT tools.
and there is of course the advantage of being able to see up to five different MT engines in a little list, which is cool.
Plus, GT4T can also access Linguee's dictionary (Ctrl+D), and even has its own little glossary system (based on Excel files).

[Edited at 2017-10-05 09:33 GMT]

Shouguang Cao
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
fixed! Oct 5, 2017

Wojciech_ wrote:

Hi,
I had to revert to 5.35, because one of the later versions didn't display DeepL results. I set DeepL in the setup window, but then it went back to Google and presented results from Google, Microsoft and Yandex.

Hi Wojciech,

The bug is fixed. It only affects Polish. I forgot to add Polish as a supported language to DeepL. Please update.

Dallas

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

GT4T

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »