Florence Gagne (X)
Florence Gagne (X)  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 23:42
English to French
+ ...
Jan 25, 2008

Hello,

My name is Florence, and in the end of March i ll be moving to Lithuania for one year /one year a half, for my boyfriend´s work. I am currently living in Spain, and i was thinking of establishing myself as a freelance translator there. Considering our relocation, i have serious doubts though, as i dont think i could go on with the spanish social security and taxes when i m there. So i thought i might register as a freelance translator in Lithuania, but i have to say that 1 -
... See more
Hello,

My name is Florence, and in the end of March i ll be moving to Lithuania for one year /one year a half, for my boyfriend´s work. I am currently living in Spain, and i was thinking of establishing myself as a freelance translator there. Considering our relocation, i have serious doubts though, as i dont think i could go on with the spanish social security and taxes when i m there. So i thought i might register as a freelance translator in Lithuania, but i have to say that 1 - I do not speak Lithuanian yet and 2 - I dont know how to do it. Could somebody please explain me the requirements for one to establish himself as a freelance translator?

Thank you very much,

Florence
Collapse

IngaPan
IngaPan  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:42
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
Welcome to Lithuania Jan 26, 2008

Hello Florence,

I am happy to be the first one to welcome you to Lithuania. Before setting yourself as a freelancer in Lithuania I would suggest going to your local tax office and consult with them. They might be able to give you some advice. If not you would have to go to the tax office in Lithuania. Good news is that Spanish is very popular in Lithuania so you might consider teaching Spanish, of course if you like teaching. If this is the case you could even try going to Vilnius
... See more
Hello Florence,

I am happy to be the first one to welcome you to Lithuania. Before setting yourself as a freelancer in Lithuania I would suggest going to your local tax office and consult with them. They might be able to give you some advice. If not you would have to go to the tax office in Lithuania. Good news is that Spanish is very popular in Lithuania so you might consider teaching Spanish, of course if you like teaching. If this is the case you could even try going to Vilnius University and see if you can get a position of a Spanish lecturer.

Good luck!
Collapse

Florence Gagne (X)
Florence Gagne (X)  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jan 27, 2008

Hello!

Thank you very much for your reply! In the end i think i will establish myself here in Spain, and then continue from Lithuania, just as if i was still at home (apparently as long as you have your fiscal address in spain and you pay your taxes in spain it should be fine). I will eventually consider the teaching option, for spanish or french (which is my actual native language), even though im not sure to be really qualified for this...
See more
Hello!

Thank you very much for your reply! In the end i think i will establish myself here in Spain, and then continue from Lithuania, just as if i was still at home (apparently as long as you have your fiscal address in spain and you pay your taxes in spain it should be fine). I will eventually consider the teaching option, for spanish or french (which is my actual native language), even though im not sure to be really qualified for this

Have a nice day, and again, thanks!

Florence
Collapse

Marila Tosi
Marila Tosi  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Italian
+ ...
Info about relocating... Dec 12, 2011

Hello Lithuanian colleagues!
I am considering relocating in Lithuania, maybe Kaunas or Vilnius. I don't know if it could happen in a short time (I hope max 1 year from now), so in the meantime I would like to gather as much info as I can to organize better this event.
I live in Italy and I am Italian mothertongue. In my country I am registered as freelance worker with regular VAT ID and obviously I am resident in here. Do I need to move my residence in Lithuania if I want to open a
... See more
Hello Lithuanian colleagues!
I am considering relocating in Lithuania, maybe Kaunas or Vilnius. I don't know if it could happen in a short time (I hope max 1 year from now), so in the meantime I would like to gather as much info as I can to organize better this event.
I live in Italy and I am Italian mothertongue. In my country I am registered as freelance worker with regular VAT ID and obviously I am resident in here. Do I need to move my residence in Lithuania if I want to open a VAT position in there? (I suppose yes...) I am not sure if I will continue to be a freelance or open a translation office, or maybe build up a translator team... Which is the most common type of business for Lithuanian translators? (Yes, maybe it's a strange question; for example, in Italy I think it's better to open a translation agency simply for tax reasons).
Thank you very much for your help!
Mary
Collapse

The LT>EN Guy
The LT>EN Guy  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Lithuanian to English
some legal stuff Dec 30, 2011

Hello Marila,

Here are a few bits of info that I hope will be helpful to you:

First of all, I just assume that you are an EU citizen, which would entitle you to be in Lithuania for 3 months without any conditions attached. If you do intend to spend more than 3 months over a period of 6 months, you will need to submit an application to be issued with a certificate that you are allowed to reside as an EU citizen. For this you need to either have sufficient funds, be a stu
... See more
Hello Marila,

Here are a few bits of info that I hope will be helpful to you:

First of all, I just assume that you are an EU citizen, which would entitle you to be in Lithuania for 3 months without any conditions attached. If you do intend to spend more than 3 months over a period of 6 months, you will need to submit an application to be issued with a certificate that you are allowed to reside as an EU citizen. For this you need to either have sufficient funds, be a student/trainee/etc., or be (self-)employed. As you are going to be self-employed, so far so good. It is unclear to me how to register your activities with the tax office before you file for the certificate with the migration office, but I am sure that there must be a way to overcome this vicious circle.

Secondly, it will be mandatory to declare you place of residence. Unless you own residential premises in Lithuania in which you intend to stay, beware that you will need the landlord's consent to declare your place of residence in the property that you will rent from them. So be sure to bring this up with them before you sign the rental contract.

As regarding registration of activities. If you would like to trade as an individual, there are two different forms available. The first one is called "individuali veikla pagal verslo liudijimą," and the second one is called "individuali veikla pagal pažymą." The first is only available for those translators who only supply their services to other individuals. I assume that you will be supplying at least to some agencies, which necessitates registration under the second type.
To do this, you will need to submit a simple form to the tax office (can be done online). The accounting procedures are minimal - you keep a journal of income and expenses, where you record your invoices. As for expenses, you can choose to deduct actual expenses, or choose to deduct 30% of the income without furnishing any proof. The actual income tax on your adjusted income is currently only 5%, but various social taxes amount to 28.5% (levied, however, on only 50% of your actual income). All in all, you will be paying about 16%.
You may choose to register an "individuali įmonė" (individual company), but that means more formalities and bookkeeping, and you still have personal liability. Establishing a limited company requires substantial expenses.

VAT registration. You can apply for a VAT ID at any point, though this is only mandatory if your income over any period of 12 months exceeds 100.000 LTL (almost 30.000 EUR).

I hope this is of use!
Collapse

Marila Tosi
Marila Tosi  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Italian
+ ...
Many thanks! Dec 31, 2011

I am grateful to you, TransLithuanian! Your answer is extremely clear!
Have a great 2012!

M.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Kristina Radziulyte[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Relocating to Lithuania...

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »