Thread poster: Andrew Wright (X)
Andrew Wright (X)
Andrew Wright (X)
United States
Local time: 08:53
English
Feb 7, 2006

Hello forum goers,

I've recently converted this forum to using Unciode as the default character set. There is no need to change your browser's default encoding, it should recognize the page's character set automatically.

You will, however, notice that older posts may not currently be legible. If you view these posts you will see a link reading "Is the text in this post garbled? Click here", or an icon of a speech bubble containing a question mark. Clicking either of th
... See more
Hello forum goers,

I've recently converted this forum to using Unciode as the default character set. There is no need to change your browser's default encoding, it should recognize the page's character set automatically.

You will, however, notice that older posts may not currently be legible. If you view these posts you will see a link reading "Is the text in this post garbled? Click here", or an icon of a speech bubble containing a question mark. Clicking either of these will bring you to a dailgue that will ask you a few questions to determine how to convert that post into Unicode.

For more information on Unicode, see the recently revised Character Set and Localization FAQ:

http://www.proz.com/faq/localization

For more information on the conversion tool see the about page:

http://www.proz.com/?sp=charset_issues

If there is anything else that is not fully explained, please let me know.

Andrew Wright
Site Staff
Collapse

Andrew Wright (X)
Andrew Wright (X)
United States
English
TOPIC STARTER
Note Feb 7, 2006

I noticed just now that the Windows-1250 character set wasn't showing up as an early option for Lithunian and some tickets were marked as not being able to find a conversion. After double checking that Windows-1250 was the correct character set for several of these I made sure it was coming up in the first three character set guesses.

Andrew Wright

diana bb
diana bb  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 14:53
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
Thanks, Andrew Feb 7, 2006

Yes, there were several postings that I wasn't able to convert, all coming from the same poster. (I hope that is what you are talking about... )
Also, there was one posting with garbled characters (just one or two) and without 'Does this text look garbled?' link. Yet it doesn't affect readability, so I guess it's all right. Or isn't it? If necessary, I will check again and find it.

BR,

Diana

... See more
Yes, there were several postings that I wasn't able to convert, all coming from the same poster. (I hope that is what you are talking about... )
Also, there was one posting with garbled characters (just one or two) and without 'Does this text look garbled?' link. Yet it doesn't affect readability, so I guess it's all right. Or isn't it? If necessary, I will check again and find it.

BR,

Diana

[Edited at 2006-02-07 21:12]
Collapse

Andrew Wright (X)
Andrew Wright (X)
United States
English
TOPIC STARTER
Probably nothing wrong Feb 7, 2006

diana bb wrote:

Diana

This was probably caused by the duplicate prevention system. Only one ticket can exist for a particular bit of text. This is to prevent duplication of effort, and also to make sure the text does not get converted more than once.

Sometimes a ticket will be left unfinished or it will take a little while for someone to vet the character set selection, this is when you'll notice a garbled text without the link to the troubleshooter.

Andrew Wright

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Kristina Radziulyte[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Forum migrated to Unicode

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »