Roomy Naqvy
Roomy Naqvy  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 06:22
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Interesting Oct 10, 2007

Eco and Kundera are both interesting. So, would be Achebe and perhaps, Ngugi Wa Thiong'o.

Roomy Naqvy
India
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
and additions Oct 10, 2007

But we had Coetzee one year and so, going by surprises... what do you people think of Ha Jin?

Has anyone read his novel, Waiting?

Roomy

Marcus Malabad
Marcus Malabad  Identity Verified
Canada
German to English
+ ...
guesses Oct 10, 2007

Eco has never really surpassed his Il Nome della Rosa and Kundera his Nesnesitelná lehkost bytí so it is likely they won't get the prize. If one of the criteria were a compendium of significant work then Mario Vargas Llosa, John Updike, Philip Roth and Margaret Atwood seem to be the frontrunners among the English/Spanish writers.

I'd be glad if Peter Carey got it. Australian literature needs a boost...and some recognition. His Oscar and Lucinda is one of my favorite novels from th
... See more
Eco has never really surpassed his Il Nome della Rosa and Kundera his Nesnesitelná lehkost bytí so it is likely they won't get the prize. If one of the criteria were a compendium of significant work then Mario Vargas Llosa, John Updike, Philip Roth and Margaret Atwood seem to be the frontrunners among the English/Spanish writers.

I'd be glad if Peter Carey got it. Australian literature needs a boost...and some recognition. His Oscar and Lucinda is one of my favorite novels from the 90s. Remember the glass church being transported to the outback? Has anyone seen the film with Ralph Fiennes and Cate Blanchett?

It was a bit of a disappointment 2 years ago when they gave the prize to Harold Pinter. I think Tom Stoppard is a much superior playwright (Coast of Utopia, Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead, The Real Thing, Arcadia, Indian Ink) and - many people don't know this - a scriptwriter. He wrote (and co-wrote) the scripts for Empire of the Sun (Spielberg), The Russia House (John Le Carre novel), Shakespeare in Love (won best script Oscar) and The Bourne Ultimatum.

Chinua Achebe would be a great choice just for sheer prolific output. The prize would also lend a voice to African literature which remains unread except in academic circles. I've actually never heard of Derek Walcott before he received the prize. I was proud to have my picture taken beside his bust in Castries, St. Lucia two years ago.
Collapse

Roomy Naqvy
India
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Stoppard and Pinter Oct 10, 2007

Marcus Malabad wrote:

I'd be glad if Peter Carey got it. Australian literature needs a boost...and some recognition. His Oscar and Lucinda is one of my favorite novels from the 90s. Remember the glass church being transported to the outback? Has anyone seen the film with Ralph Fiennes and Cate Blanchett?

It was a bit of a disappointment 2 years ago when they gave the prize to Harold Pinter. I think Tom Stoppard is a much superior playwright (Coast of Utopia, Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead, The Real Thing, Arcadia, Indian Ink) and - many people don't know this - a scriptwriter. He wrote (and co-wrote) the scripts for Empire of the Sun (Spielberg), The Russia House (John Le Carre novel), Shakespeare in Love (won best script Oscar) and The Bourne Ultimatum.

Chinua Achebe would be a great choice just for sheer prolific output. The prize would also lend a voice to African literature which remains unread except in academic circles. I've actually never heard of Derek Walcott before he received the prize. I was proud to have my picture taken beside his bust in Castries, St. Lucia two years ago.

I knew all that you told us about Stoppard! Well, I teach both Pinter and Stoppard and our Indian postgraduate students have a great problem studying.

Achebe is important... his junior contemporary Wole Soyinka got it and Achebe has long been known as the father of the African novel. He has inspired a number of people including Ben Okri, whom I heard publicly acknowledge that in a book reading years ago.

Llosa and Fuentes are always great names.

Roomy

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:52
English to Turkish
+ ...
I would give it to Ian McEwan Oct 11, 2007

But I don't know who they'll give it to

Roth would be another choice... but then, there are many authors I haven't ever read in the list. (Who cares, I've read McEwan!)

Aïda Garcia Pons
Aïda Garcia Pons
United States
Local time: 17:52
English to Catalan
+ ...
I'd like it to be Oct 11, 2007

I'm bad at guessing so I really have no idea who'll get it. But I'd like it to be Doris Lessing, without a doubt.
Most unlikely, not to say impossible, but someone worthy of the prize.

A Giridhar RAO
A Giridhar RAO
English to Esperanto
+ ...
And the winner is... Doris Lessing Oct 11, 2007

Aida Pons wrote:

I'm bad at guessing so I really have no idea who'll get it. But I'd like it to be Doris Lessing, without a doubt.
Most unlikely, not to say impossible, but someone worthy of the prize.

And Lessing it is! Voila!

Steffen Walter
Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Yes, as just announced in the news Oct 11, 2007

Here's one of many news sources where the award has just been announced:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071011/ap_en_bu/nobel_literature

Steffen

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Aida right on spot - congratulations! Oct 11, 2007

But then there's 2008 and 2009 and on it goes - and candidates mentioned here will stay around. As will their books - bought myself 3 books at the airport while dropping off our business partner - it's such fun to buy new books ...

No Doris Lessing though - but let not my personal gout interfere.

[Edited at 2007-10-11 12:29]

Roomy Naqvy
India
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
very interesting Oct 11, 2007

Great news.

Marcus Malabad
Marcus Malabad  Identity Verified
Canada
German to English
+ ...
Boo! Oct 11, 2007

Completely irrelevant and ununteresting choice. She was good in the 70s but now she's just a bland writer fading away. Total dud in my opinion.

Liliana Roman-Hamilton
Liliana Roman-Hamilton  Identity Verified
English to Italian
satisfied Oct 11, 2007

I didn't know Doris Lessing was a candidate. I am happy to know that she got the Nobel, though.

Aïda Garcia Pons
Aïda Garcia Pons
United States
English to Catalan
+ ...
Blimey! Oct 11, 2007

WOW!
But why now and not ages ago? I mean, is it because she's getting old and chances of her wining might not happen again? I any case, I'm SO pleased. She's definitely one of my most favourite writers. Yipeeeeeeee!

Roomy Naqvy
India
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
views on the choice Oct 11, 2007

Marcus Malabad wrote:

Completely irrelevant and ununteresting choice. She was good in the 70s but now she's just a bland writer fading away. Total dud in my opinion.

To be honest, I haven't read much of Doris Lessing; we did have a small passage we taught as compulsory English textbook. She is a name I have heard. Not someone who would make me go out and rush to buy the book. But that is something one does rarely these days. Yes, I knew My Name is Red when Pamuk got it and I was so excited... I went to the Nobel website, heard Pamuk's phone interview--I wanted to listen to his voice. I found out an earlier interview with Time and gave a quote to my wife who worked with a newspaper. Then I gave extracts of Pamuk's Nobel acceptance speech to my translation students to read and to comprehend the import of his words. I knew My Name is Red when Pamuk got the prize but I got Snow and The Black Book after the prize.

I think that palpable excitement is missing.

Roomy

Aïda Garcia Pons
Aïda Garcia Pons
United States
English to Catalan
+ ...
still so excited! Oct 11, 2007

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7039100.stm

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Guess: 2007's Nobel Literature Laureate

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »