Local time: 17:05
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Feb 7, 2003

\"Those who can, write

Those who can\'t write, translate

Those who can\'t translate write about translation.\"

(Peter Newmark)

(tradução) ... jogo do gato e do rato que nasce da procura do sentido da palavra exacta.\"

(Pedro Támen)

[\"(translation) ... a hide-and-seek game, a long search for the real meaning of the right word.\"]

María Alejandra Funes
María Alejandra Funes
Local time: 13:05
English to Spanish
+ ...
More quotations on translation Feb 7, 2003

\"Woe to the makers of literal translations, who by rendering every word weaken the meaning! It is indeed by so doing that we can say the letter kills and the spirit gives life.\"

-- Voltaire

\"Humor is the first gift to perish in a foreign language.\"

-- Virginia Woolf

\"The best thing on translation was said by Cervantes: translation is the other side of a tapestry.\"

-- Leonardo Sciascia

... See more
\"Woe to the makers of literal translations, who by rendering every word weaken the meaning! It is indeed by so doing that we can say the letter kills and the spirit gives life.\"

-- Voltaire

\"Humor is the first gift to perish in a foreign language.\"

-- Virginia Woolf

\"The best thing on translation was said by Cervantes: translation is the other side of a tapestry.\"

-- Leonardo Sciascia

\"God employs several translators; some pieces are translated by age, some by sickness, some by war, some by justice.\"

-- John Donne

Have a nice weekend!

ALE
Collapse

Arthur Borges
Arthur Borges
China
Local time: 00:05
English
+ ...
Oh Alda, Feb 7, 2003

I\'ve read the same piece but with \"Those who can do, those who cannot, teach\" and so on.

I teach too.

Alda Maria Durães
Alda Maria Durães
Portugal
Local time: 17:05
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
There is nothing so serious as developing a healthy sense of humour, no matter the activity! Feb 8, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-02-07 21:01, Arthur wrote:

I\'ve read the same piece but with \"Those who can do, those who cannot, teach\" and so on.

I teach too.

Arthur Borges
Arthur Borges
China
Local time: 00:05
English
+ ...
I agree of course, Alda Feb 9, 2003

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Some more quotations ...

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »