Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Off topic: What are your country's typical (and favourite) children's books?
Thread poster: Andrea Riffo
simona dachille
simona dachille  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:34
Italian to English
remember barbapapa'? May 29, 2007

Barbapapa', the eco-friendly pink blob!

lingomania
lingomania
Local time: 01:34
Italian to English
Pinocchio May 29, 2007

In Italy, I think the most popular children's book is Pinocchio adapted to film by Robert Benigni. In my native Australia, there are many children's books, but I know that "Alice in Wonderland" topped them all for 70% of my generation (although it was not written by an Australian author of course). Among strictly Australian books, I'd say any book written by Rolf Harris (short stories), "Skippy, the bush kangaroo" series, etc.

Rob

Andrea Riffo
Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 11:34
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
:) May 29, 2007

I'm touched by the interest all of you have shown, and am also happy that this topic seems to have brought back some good memories to many of you. I am slowly but steadily making a list of:

- "Jaime will surely like and should be easy to find"
- "Jaime will surely like but might be hard to find"
- "Jaime will probably like and should be easy to find"
- "Jaime will probably like but might be hard to find"

AND

- "
... See more
I'm touched by the interest all of you have shown, and am also happy that this topic seems to have brought back some good memories to many of you. I am slowly but steadily making a list of:

- "Jaime will surely like and should be easy to find"
- "Jaime will surely like but might be hard to find"
- "Jaime will probably like and should be easy to find"
- "Jaime will probably like but might be hard to find"

AND

- "I will most probably like and must get now, in either Spanish or English"

You have mentioned quite a few books that I already have or at least have read, but in English, and quite a few others that I love but had slipped my mind.

Please, keep them coming. I think this thread could make a good reference list for parents and/or relatives wanting to raise or help raise culturally sensible children, for grownups wanting to learn a little bit more of the childhood influences of collegues from different countries, etc. ... and it's so much fun!!!!

Regarding comments about simple tales, or not giving Jaimito books that are too complicated, you don't need to worry: I would never try to force a book on him (he loves reading and I want to encourage that as much as I can, not the other way around!), so I usually just hand him a book, we peruse the first pages together, and then it's up to him if he wants to carry further. He usually does

Unfortunately, he currently rejects books with too many pictures, big print, or talking animals. I'm not totally sure why, but I think it may be because his classmates at school (he's in 1st grade) are just learning to read, whereas he's been reading perfectly since he was 4, so he gets terribly bored. When the teacher makes them read aloud, the other kids go "la ca- ca- ca- ca- caaaa- sa" (repeat the first syllable 3 or 4 times) and by then he's already finished the page, and my guess is that he links those picture books to learners and he thinks of himself as a "big boy". Does that make any sense? I remember when I was 10 I suddenly decided I was a "big girl" and stopped watching cartoons because those where "for babies" and not for "grownups" such as me. I think it may be a similar thing and I hope that he grows out of it eventually, so we can enjoy Bunnicula together.

Anyhow, I'm rambling now.

Hugs to all
Collapse

BC45
BC45
English to French
for France May 30, 2007

I would say the "Martine" collection
Martine à la ferme
Martine à la plage

best ever books for little girls

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
These aren't the Babar the Elephant books, are they? May 30, 2007

simona dachille wrote:

Barbapapa', the eco-friendly pink blob!

I forgot to mention the delightful Babar the Elephant books that I (and later my son) loved - originally French, but surely translated into Spanish.
And Orlando the Marmalade Cat. And, of course, Rudyard Kipling's "Just So Stories", which he wrote in the early 1900s for his own children. They are intriguing and amusing, and full of repetitions that children usually love, although I must admit that both the above suggestions have "talking animals", but such intelligent and amusing talking animals! And of course Kipling's "The Jungle Book".
Regards,
Jenny.

Stefanie Sendelbach
Stefanie Sendelbach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:34
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
France May 30, 2007

Barbara CARME wrote:

I would say the "Martine" collection
Martine à la ferme
Martine à la plage

best ever books for little girls

How about Le petit Nicolas (Little Nicolas) by René Goscinny (illustrated by Jean-Jacques Sempé) for little boys? I still love to read these stories today. The little boy and his friends are just too funny.

Happy reading, everyone!

Stefanie

Mihai Dascalu
Mihai Dascalu  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 18:34
Romanian to English
+ ...
Romania Jul 2, 2007

There is this author, in Romania, Ion Creanga that is my favorite and to whose works I came back whenever I have time, but kids these days read, if they read, Harry Potter or Spiderman related stories. There are a lot of fairy tales that are studied in schools though, very beautiful and full of teachings.

Noe M
Noe M  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
El barco de vapor Jul 10, 2007

HI,

My favorites were always the books of "El barco de vapor". Another post you have in the first page also recommends them. You can become an addict of these books as they follow your age. I started reading them with 6 years old, and my last one was at 14.

Regards
Noe

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 09:34
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Martín Fierro Jul 13, 2007

I liked the Argentinean tales of gaucho "Martín Fierro", written by José Hernández.

I used to read Italian tales by D'Amici and many mayan and aztec tales too.

tokyo woman (X)
tokyo woman (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:34
English to Japanese
+ ...
From Japan Jul 13, 2007

First of all, I have to mention "Guri to Gura" series, and I loved "Tanta no Tanken".

Guri to Gura is the book all Japanese mothers know and I believe it is already translated in English.

By the way, my 7 years old is bilingual Japanese/French, and what he loves most is TinTin, but he also likes to read JoJo-Lapin series in French.

[Edited at 2007-07-13 09:57]

tokyo woman (X)
tokyo woman (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:34
English to Japanese
+ ...
From Japan Jul 13, 2007

First of all, I have to mention "Guri to Gura" series, and I loved "Tanta no Tanken".

Guri to Gura is the book all Japanese mothers know and I believe it is already translated in English.

By the way, my 7 years old is bilingual Japanese/French, and what he loves most is TinTin, and but he also likes to read JoJo-Lapin series in French.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What are your country's typical (and favourite) children's books?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »