Off topic: Frida Kahlo and family - novel - looking for help regarding location in Oaxaca, or maybe elsewhere
Thread poster: Evert DELOOF-SYS
Evert DELOOF-SYS
Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 03:43
English to Dutch
+ ...
Dec 16, 2002

Would anyone (in e.g. Mexico) be able to help us out with the following?

A very good friend of mine is writing a novel (and nearing the end).

Her problem is that she had already

set up her plot to end dramatically in Oaxaca city, at the house where Frida Kahlo\'s mother (Matilde Calderon b. 1876) spent her childhood.

So we\'re searching for the location of this house as well as any info about her maternal

grand
... See more
Would anyone (in e.g. Mexico) be able to help us out with the following?

A very good friend of mine is writing a novel (and nearing the end).

Her problem is that she had already

set up her plot to end dramatically in Oaxaca city, at the house where Frida Kahlo\'s mother (Matilde Calderon b. 1876) spent her childhood.

So we\'re searching for the location of this house as well as any info about her maternal

grandparents (Antonio Calderon, photographer and Isabel Gonzalez y Gonzalez,

daughter of a general).

Questions: did Frida visit them there and therefore know this house? Or did they move to Mexico City, where Matilde met Guillermo Kahlo?

A nice stranger in Oaxaca, Maria, actually did some research for us and came

up with the bad news that they didn\'t live in Oaxaca city but in the state of Oaxaca, on the isthmus of Tehuantepec (nothing more specific). She also said that they may have moved to the city at some point, but she

couldn\'t find out without going to a lot of trouble. So that was that.

We\'ve scoured books and the internet, but this seems to be a mystery.

All we need to know is whatever anyone else knows, what isn\'t known allows my friend a license to invent.

As stated before, we\'re stuck because this finding of her mother\'s house (ie. the mother) is a central theme.

Would anyone have some suggestions with reference to the above?

You may, of course, email me in private ([email protected]).

Many thanks in advance and enjoy your day,

Evert Deloof-Sys
[addsig]
Collapse

Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 19:43
German to English
Maybe this will help Dec 16, 2002

Hi Evert, I live in Guadalajara and will be in Oaxaca City in two weeks - not that that matters much, but anyway I found this info that might help you.

Frida Kahlo was born Magdalena Carmen Frieda Kahlo y Calderon on July 6, 1907, in her parents\' house in Coyoacan, Mexico a suburb of Mexico City.

http://www.lasmujeres.com/fridakahlo/life.shtml

Evert DELOOF-SYS
Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 03:43
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Muchas gracias, Kim Dec 18, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-12-16 20:56, kmetzger wrote:

Hi Evert, I live in Guadalajara and will be in Oaxaca City in two weeks - not that that matters much, but anyway I found this info that might help you.

Frida Kahlo was born Magdalena Carmen Frieda Kahlo y Calderon on July 6, 1907, in her parents\' house in Coyoacan, Mexico a suburb of Mexico City.

... See more
Quote:

On 2002-12-16 20:56, kmetzger wrote:

http://www.lasmujeres.com/fridakahlo/life.shtml

Hi Kim,

Sincerest thanks for this, but I\'m not sure yet this will be helpful, as it\'s the maternal grandparents (details in previous posting) we need to find.

I\'ve sent the site you mentioned to my friend.

She replied:

\"Who is this person who will be in Oaxaca? A friend? I\'m sure that whoever it is, they\'re not going to get excited by a request to visit the city archives and start searching for the Calderons. Or not unless you invent a fancy connection for me, like I\'m a lost relative of XXX, or put some letters after my name.

Dammit, I feel so pathetic that I can\'t just

jump on a plane and do it myself.\"

So, what about it? Having a stroll to Oaxaca\'s city archives

Take good care,

Evert

[addsig] ▲ Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Frida Kahlo and family - novel - looking for help regarding location in Oaxaca, or maybe elsewhere

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »