Off topic: Best translation of The Count of Monte Cristo?
Thread poster: Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:27
German to English
+ ...
Feb 20, 2007

I love this story and have seen two film versions, but have never read the book! Can anyone recommend the best translation of this work into English (I don't read French)?

Thanks!

georgina singh
georgina singh  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 05:57
Tamil to English
+ ...
One of the most wonderful books!! Feb 21, 2007

Daina Jauntirans wrote:

I love this story and have seen two film versions, but have never read the book! Can anyone recommend the best translation of this work into English (I don't read French)?

Thanks!

Hi Daina,

The "Count of Monte Cristo" is one of the most amazing and arresting books I've ever read. Originally written by Alexander Dumas a French writer. I have the translated version (English) I will send you the details shortly as I am searching for it .

Luv,

Georgina

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:27
German to English
+ ...
Gutenberg Feb 21, 2007

I don't know if it is the best translation into English, but this one is available for free on Project Gutenberg:

www.gutenberg.org/etext/1184
www.readeasily.com/alexandre-dumas/00155/index.php

Catherine Brix
Catherine Brix
Local time: 02:27
Swedish to English
+ ...
Wordsworth Classics Feb 21, 2007

has the complete and unabridged version - all 875 pages. I couldn't say if this is the 'best' translation but it is a fabulous story that no movie can do justice. The scenes you paint in your head from Dumas' words outdo anything on the screen. It's one of those books that make you wish there was a sequel or two. (While not fully at the same level, I can recommend The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Luiz Zafon to alleviate the worst withdrawal symptoms or one of Donna Tartt's books.)

H
... See more
has the complete and unabridged version - all 875 pages. I couldn't say if this is the 'best' translation but it is a fabulous story that no movie can do justice. The scenes you paint in your head from Dumas' words outdo anything on the screen. It's one of those books that make you wish there was a sequel or two. (While not fully at the same level, I can recommend The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Luiz Zafon to alleviate the worst withdrawal symptoms or one of Donna Tartt's books.)

Happy reading
Catherine
Collapse

Daina Jauntirans
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Great! Feb 21, 2007

I'm looking forward to it - I'm in a swashbuckling mood!! (watched Zorro last night, too.) What a great way to unwind from a day of financial translation...

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Translations Feb 21, 2007

A paragraph from:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Count_of_Monte_Cristo

"The most common English translation was originally published in 1846 by Chapman and Hall. Most unabridged English editions of the novel, including the Modern Library and Oxford World's Classics editions, use this translation, although Penguin Classics published a new translation by Ro
... See more
A paragraph from:

"The most common English translation was originally published in 1846 by Chapman and Hall. Most unabridged English editions of the novel, including the Modern Library and Oxford World's Classics editions, use this translation, although Penguin Classics published a new translation by Robin Buss in 1996. Buss' translation updated the language, is more accessible to modern readers, and restored content that was modified in the 1846 translation (due to Victorian English social restrictions (for example, references to Eugénie's lesbian traits and behavior)) to Dumas' actual publication. Other English translations of the unabridged work exist, but are rarely seen in print and most borrow from the 1846 anonymous translation."

A (modern) translation by Lorenzo Carcaterra also seems to be in print besides the one by Buss, I note.
Collapse

georgina singh
georgina singh  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 05:57
Tamil to English
+ ...
Count of Monte Cristo! Feb 22, 2007

Daina Jauntirans wrote:

I'm looking forward to it - I'm in a swashbuckling mood!! (watched Zorro last night, too.) What a great way to unwind from a day of financial translation...

Dear Diana,

Collected this information for you - you could get the unabridged translated version from the following places.

1. BookSense.com

2. Barnes&Noble.com

3. Gobookshopping.com

4. Froogle

5. Amazon.com

6. Oxford University Press

7. Penguin Books

8. A1 Books.co.in

A couple of translators of this book are -Robin Buss and David Coward. The book has around 1312 pages.

Luv,

Georgina

Daina Jauntirans
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks everyone! Feb 22, 2007

I'll look for the Buss!

Try the translation to English by Lowell Blair. May 28, 2010

georgina singh wrote:

Daina Jauntirans wrote:

Thanks!

Hi Daina,

The "Count of Monte Cristo" is one of the most amazing and arresting books I've ever read. Originally written by Alexander Dumas a French writer. I have the translated version (English) I will send you the details shortly as I am searching for it .

Luv,

Georgina

You may be interested in the audio book May 16, 2011

I love this work. As a child I grew up listening to my mom serializing it, while I would press her feet. As a teacher, she walked to school and back.

Anyways, I am just finishing listening to this book second time. I dont know who translated this, but it is wonderful.

Check your local library and you should be able to download it to your mp3 for free. I listen to it while running, shopping, waiting at the airport etc.

BTW, I think it is Blackstone Audio. I
... See more
I love this work. As a child I grew up listening to my mom serializing it, while I would press her feet. As a teacher, she walked to school and back.

Anyways, I am just finishing listening to this book second time. I dont know who translated this, but it is wonderful.

Check your local library and you should be able to download it to your mp3 for free. I listen to it while running, shopping, waiting at the airport etc.

BTW, I think it is Blackstone Audio. I love the narrator. He is sonorous with great tone variations for French, Italian, Greek (for Haidee) and English.

Equalling my enjoyment is my amazement at the knowledge and wisdom of Dumas!

Enjoy
Collapse

Ingunite
Ingunite
Local time: 20:27
Latvian to English
+ ...
you can read it in Latvian May 16, 2011

as translated by Rainis. Although Rainis allegedly took a few liberties with the original text (eliminating a few paragraphs, I think?), the overall quality of the translation is high, and it is very enjoyable. Needless to say, the translation was done some time ago, so it might seem old-fashioned.:)
Just realized that it does not answer the question you asked, but that's my two cents' worth anyway...

[Edited at 2011-05-16 20:42 GMT]

The Modern Library Translation Jul 18, 2012

Robert Tucker wrote:

A paragraph from:

"The most common English translation was originally published in 1846 by Chapman and Hall. Most unabridged English editions of the novel, including the Modern Library and Oxford World's Classics editions, use this translation, although Penguin Classics published a new translation by Robin Buss in 1996."

A (modern) translation by Lorenzo Carcaterra also seems to be in print besides the one by Buss, I note.

I have the Modern Library Translation with an Introduction by Lorenzo Carcaterra. It's over 1,400 pages long, but it's still abridged a bit. It's not severly abridged, like some editions are, but there are entire conversations of 1,000+ words that are left out of the Modern Library edition. Additionally, there are some bizarre additions that make no sense and only confused me as a reader. I started reading this version, got 2/3's of the way through it, then realized that at least one lengthy conversation had been cut out of the story (so frustrating).

I also have the 1846 edition. This is better than the Modern Library edition. The confusing additions are absent, and the whole text seems to be there, minus, perhaps, some of the language describing Eugenie's lesbianism. The passages are still present, however, they just may be toned down a bit. This is still a good translation, in my opinion.

My suggestion: either read the 1846 or the Buss (I actually haven't looked at the Buss yet, so this isn't a 100% endorsement).

Daina Jauntirans
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jul 18, 2012

Funny how this question pops back up now and then. Thanks for all of the suggestions!

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
I missed this thread the first time around Jul 18, 2012

I'm chiming in rather late, I fear.
The Count of Monte Cristo is one of my favourite books and I've read it countless times. I have it in French, but also an English version first published by Collins of London and Glasgow in 1884, with an introduction by Richard Church, which curiously enough doesn't name the translator. In fact, I don't think the translation is very good - a bit stilted and almost "non-native" in places (if I dare raise that red-hot topic here!).

The best fi
... See more
I'm chiming in rather late, I fear.
The Count of Monte Cristo is one of my favourite books and I've read it countless times. I have it in French, but also an English version first published by Collins of London and Glasgow in 1884, with an introduction by Richard Church, which curiously enough doesn't name the translator. In fact, I don't think the translation is very good - a bit stilted and almost "non-native" in places (if I dare raise that red-hot topic here!).

The best film version I've seen was a TV serial back in the 1970s (?) with Alan Badel as the perfect Edmond Dantès. Although the Gérard Depardieu version was quite good, M. Depardieu just isn't the right type.

Recently, Stephen Fry re-hashed the story in his likewise fascinating book The Stars' Tennis Balls, set in the modern world of international espionage.
Worth a look for revenge-enthusiasts!

Happy reading,
Jenny

[Edited at 2012-07-18 16:04 GMT]
Collapse

Daina Jauntirans
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Jenny Jul 18, 2012

for the Stephen Fry tip - I am an enthusiast of both revenge and international espionage

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Best translation of The Count of Monte Cristo?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »