Question about credit on a literary translation
Thread poster: Yaron Dahan
Yaron Dahan
Yaron Dahan
Local time: 02:22
French to English
+ ...
Oct 27, 2006

Hi. I just got my first literary(ish) job to translate an interview by a writer, and I wanted to know how credit works for this sort of thing. If the agency is paying me, do they get credited for having translated my article? or are they supposed to credit my name whenever the article is published? should i specifically stipulate this if i want credit (which i do)? is there a risk they would say no?

nyway, any help on this is greatly appreciated.

James (Jim) Davis
James (Jim) Davis  Identity Verified
Seychelles
Local time: 03:22
Member (2022)
Italian to English
Depend on publisher Oct 27, 2006

It would probably depend on the publisher of the article. If the publisher usually credits writers and translators or not. I can't see a magazine crediting an agency. Then it would depend on the agency agreeing.

Jim Davis

Jarnail Gill
Jarnail Gill  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 04:52
Member (2006)
English to Punjabi
+ ...
There is dual practice being followed now a days Oct 27, 2006

Dear Yaron!!! Strictly speaking, any translation of a literary work should be credited to the translator, but in your case it is not a poem, novel, story, article or verse, which are recognised literary forms, it is just an interview. And I dont think, that a series of questions and answers about someone's life and work comes under literary work.

Moreover, now a days, there are people who act as ghost writers, I am sure you know that ghost writers receive money from a fa
... See more
Dear Yaron!!! Strictly speaking, any translation of a literary work should be credited to the translator, but in your case it is not a poem, novel, story, article or verse, which are recognised literary forms, it is just an interview. And I dont think, that a series of questions and answers about someone's life and work comes under literary work.

Moreover, now a days, there are people who act as ghost writers, I am sure you know that ghost writers receive money from a fame seeker and write a book/article on the specified topic and their name will not be found anywhere on the book. It might be the case with your client also. First you decide, what is important to you. Whether you want the money, which the client is offering you, or credit is more important to you? Then you can ask your client that you want the credit. And if they say OK, you are in a win win situation. Getting money and fame both. If they say no, you either choose money or say No and quit.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Question about credit on a literary translation

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »