Sarah Ponting
Sarah Ponting  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 01:39
Italian to English
+ ...
Aug 29, 2006

Hi folks,

In the Italian text that I'm translating I have a quotation from Seven Years in Tibet by Heinrich Harrer. I obviously can't translate it in my own words, but need the quotation from the English book. Unfortunately I don't have it, nor have I been able to find an online version.

The sentences in question are about Mount Kailash:

“Il sacro Kailas era solitario nella sua maestosa bellezza. Alla sua vista i nostri tibetani si gettarono in terra dice
... See more
Hi folks,

In the Italian text that I'm translating I have a quotation from Seven Years in Tibet by Heinrich Harrer. I obviously can't translate it in my own words, but need the quotation from the English book. Unfortunately I don't have it, nor have I been able to find an online version.

The sentences in question are about Mount Kailash:

“Il sacro Kailas era solitario nella sua maestosa bellezza. Alla sua vista i nostri tibetani si gettarono in terra dicendo le loro orazioni. Questo è senza dubbio uno dei più bei posti del mondo”

A rough translation would be:

“Sacred Kailash was solitary in its majestic beauty. Upon sighting it, our Tibetans threw themselves to the ground, saying their prayers. This is undoubtedly one of the most beautiful places in the world”

Thanks in advance to whoever may be able to help.

Sarah
Collapse

Dagmar Jenner
Dagmar Jenner  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Amazon's "Search inside" Aug 30, 2006

Dear Sarah,

Amazon gives you the option of searching inside the book:

http://www.amazon.com/Seven-Years-in-Tibet/dp/0874778883/sr=8-2/qid=1156922662/ref=pd_bbs_2/104-0178637-3503103?ie=UTF8

Just enter a word you believe is part of the quote you're looking for (e.g. "beauty") and h
... See more
Dear Sarah,

Amazon gives you the option of searching inside the book:

http://www.amazon.com/Seven-Years-in-Tibet/dp/0874778883/sr=8-2/qid=1156922662/ref=pd_bbs_2/104-0178637-3503103?ie=UTF8

Just enter a word you believe is part of the quote you're looking for (e.g. "beauty") and hit enter - good luck!

Best,
Dagmar
Collapse

Johanna Timm, PhD
Johanna Timm, PhD  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 16:39
English to German
+ ...
page 260 Aug 30, 2006

"The landscape was dominated by the 25 000-foot peak of Gurla Mandhata; less striking, but far more famous, was the sacred Mount Kailas, 3,000 feet lower, which stands in majestic isloation apart from the Himalayan range. When we first caught sight of it, our Tibetans prostrated themselves and prayed. For Buddhists and Hindus, this mountain is the home of their gods..."

ISBN 0-87477-8883

Cheers, j.

Sarah Ponting
Sarah Ponting  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to both Aug 30, 2006

I actually found that link, but the last bit of my quotation is missing. Anyway, I solved that by paraphrasing it.
Thanks!
Sarah

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Quotation from English version of Seven Years in Tibet by Heinrich Harrer

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »