Pippi Longstocking quote needed
Thread poster: Craig Meulen
Craig Meulen
Craig Meulen  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:59
German to English
Aug 11, 2006

There isn't a forum English->Pippi-speak, but I need someone who knows the Pippi-speak word for *local taxes* in the quote below.

I'm translating a speech that a client is giving to an international audience about entrepeneurship in which he
claims "the Pippi Longstocking trilogy can give us some hints how we could deal with the world and what pedagogical principles to apply if we aim at enabling human beings, organizations and employees to become entrepreneurs or more entrepr
... See more
There isn't a forum English->Pippi-speak, but I need someone who knows the Pippi-speak word for *local taxes* in the quote below.

I'm translating a speech that a client is giving to an international audience about entrepeneurship in which he
claims "the Pippi Longstocking trilogy can give us some hints how we could deal with the world and what pedagogical principles to apply if we aim at enabling human beings, organizations and employees to become entrepreneurs or more entrepreneurial. "

For those who understand German, here is the quote from the German version, and for those who don't, my attempt at a translation, only made in the hope that someone recognises the passage and can tell me the English version!

DE:
„Große Menschen, “ so Pippi Langstrumpf, „haben niemals etwas Lustiges. Sie haben nur einen Haufen langweilige Arbeit und komische Kleider und Hühneraugen und Kumminalsteuern.“

EN:
"Grown-ups," said Pippi Longstocking, "never have anything funny. They only have piles of boring work, strange clothes, corns on their feet and *local taxes / municipal taxes*.

(In German, the word is Pippi-speak, since the real German word is Kommunalsteuern, and she gets corrected by another character in the next line).
Collapse

Brie Vernier
Brie Vernier  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:59
German to English
No English->Pippi-speak forum but ... Aug 13, 2006

Hi Craig,

I'm afraid I can't help you with the proper word, but even though there is no English->Pippi-speak forum, you might get more attention if you post the question in German-English! Or possibly even English monolingual. Or both!

Cheers--

Brie

Craig Meulen
United Kingdom
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
not German original Aug 13, 2006

Brie Vernier wrote:

I'm afraid I can't help you with the proper word, but even though there is no English->Pippi-speak forum, you might get more attention if you post the question in German-English! Or possibly even English monolingual. Or both!

Hi Brie

I did already post an English monolingual Kudoz question. The thing is, I'm not looking for translation help, I'm looking for the quote from the authorized English version of this Swedish kids story.

I hate clients who quote famous authors ....

Craig

Eva Middleton
Eva Middleton  Identity Verified
German to English
the quote Aug 13, 2006

I've found it! .

'No, that's nothing to pine for,' said Pippi.
'Grown-ups never have any fun. All they have is a lot of dull work and stupid clothes and corns and nincum tax.'
'It's called income tax,' said Annika.

That's on page 244 of 'The Best of Pippi Longstocking', Oxford University Press, 2003

[Edited at 2006-08-13 13:40]

Craig Meulen
United Kingdom
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
A great big pig-tailed Thank You !! Aug 13, 2006

'Grown-ups never have any fun. All they have is a lot of dull work and stupid clothes and corns and nincum tax.'
'It's called income tax,' said Annika.
[Edited at 2006-08-13 13:40]

I knew I could rely on my fellow ProZers - just in time as well, 'cos the client really wants his translation tomorrow!

'nincum' tax - I'd never have been able to invent a "muddle-up" as simple but as effective as that!!

Thanks again

Craig

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Pippi Longstocking quote needed

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »