retaining the meaning
Thread poster: Alban Fenle
Alban Fenle
Alban Fenle
Germany
Local time: 15:47
English to German
May 27, 2006

"Laws must be communicated if they are to be helpful. In effect, they must be translated for those who speak different languages. Nevertheless, a good translator, although he must alter the form of what he translates, never changes the meaning. In fact, his whole purpose is to change the form so that the original meaning is retained. The Holy Spirit is the translator of the laws of God to those who do not understand them. You could not do this yourself because a conflicted mind cannot be faithfu... See more
"Laws must be communicated if they are to be helpful. In effect, they must be translated for those who speak different languages. Nevertheless, a good translator, although he must alter the form of what he translates, never changes the meaning. In fact, his whole purpose is to change the form so that the original meaning is retained. The Holy Spirit is the translator of the laws of God to those who do not understand them. You could not do this yourself because a conflicted mind cannot be faithful to one meaning, and will therefore change the meaning to preserve the form.
The Holy Spirit's purpose in translating is exactly the opposite. He translates only to preserve the original meaning in all respects and in all languages. Therefore, He opposes the idea that differences in form are meaningful, emphasizing always that these differences do not matter. The meaning of His message is always the same; only the meaning matters. God's law of creation does not involve the use of truth to convince His Sons of truth. The extension of truth, which is the law of the Kingdom, rests only on the knowledge of what truth is. This is your inheritance and requires no learning at all, but when you disinherited yourself you became a learner of necessity." (taken from A Course In Miracles, Chapter 7, II. The Law of the Kingdom)
Collapse

Roomy Naqvy
Roomy Naqvy  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 19:17
English to Hindi
+ ...
definition May 27, 2006

Dear Poster,
Though this is a religious quote but its emphasis is not so and that is why this is being vetted.

One would be open to further definitions of the role of the translator but one hopes that the discussion would not veer into any controversial areas, including religion.

Roomy Naqvy

Alban Fenle
Alban Fenle
Germany
Local time: 15:47
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
apology May 27, 2006

I actually think I have misplaced this quote. I should have placed it in "On translators and translation". I apologize.
Alban

Aurora Humarán (X)
Aurora Humarán (X)  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 10:47
English to Spanish
+ ...
... May 27, 2006

Alban wrote:

I actually think I have misplaced this quote. I should have placed it in "On translators and translation". I apologize.
Alban

No need to apologize, Alban and...welcome to the Literature & Poetry Forum!

Au

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

retaining the meaning

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »