Literary works set on islands
Thread poster: Philip Taylor
juvera
juvera  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:23
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Nice thread Nov 7, 2010

Started in 2006 and this is the first time I came across it!

I have to confess, I am conducting an experiment. I am trying to establish, how many posts are visible on the "latest posts" list, and what happens when a long thread like this one turns up.

The reason for it is precisely that: the list is supposed to be limited by the number of posts, and it restricts availability. The visibility of a thread may be as short as one day, and that may be the reason why I never
... See more
Started in 2006 and this is the first time I came across it!

I have to confess, I am conducting an experiment. I am trying to establish, how many posts are visible on the "latest posts" list, and what happens when a long thread like this one turns up.

The reason for it is precisely that: the list is supposed to be limited by the number of posts, and it restricts availability. The visibility of a thread may be as short as one day, and that may be the reason why I never caught this one before.

So please forgive me for grabbing it now for an ulterior motive. I noticed it because it is a sizeable thread, but I thoroughly enjoyed looking through it, and it brought back memories of some nearly forgotten books I read long time ago.

Are there any more island stories about?
Collapse

JohnCregion
JohnCregion
Late to the party Aug 17, 2012

I've only just seen this post, so sorry for reviving the dead! I read a good survival horror novel recently, set on a Welsh island. It was called Turner by K. Drinkwater. (Checks...) Yep, it's on Goodreads http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13512735-turner

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Graham Greene Aug 17, 2012

I've just remembered what I think is Graham Greene's most enjoyable book - Our Man in Havana - set in Cuba, of course.

BeaDeer (X)
BeaDeer (X)  Identity Verified
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Die Insel des zweiten Gesichts Aug 18, 2012

The story is set in Majorca, just before the Spanish Civil War. Translated into English as The Island of Second Sight. An amazing book that reads like a... movie. Written by Albert Vigoleis Thelen in the nineteen-fifties.

For those who read any of the languages of former Yugoslavia, there is a novel titled "Osmi povjerenik" (Trustee Number Eight). Renato Baretić's first book, written in Croatian, translated into Serbian and Slovenian. The story unfolds on the farthest of Croatia's
... See more
The story is set in Majorca, just before the Spanish Civil War. Translated into English as The Island of Second Sight. An amazing book that reads like a... movie. Written by Albert Vigoleis Thelen in the nineteen-fifties.

For those who read any of the languages of former Yugoslavia, there is a novel titled "Osmi povjerenik" (Trustee Number Eight). Renato Baretić's first book, written in Croatian, translated into Serbian and Slovenian. The story unfolds on the farthest of Croatia's inhabited islands, Trećič ("the third one"). The islanders lead an idyllic life until the arrival of the eighth (there were seven before him) "government trustee", a man sentenced to exile on the island but nonetheless entrusted with a mission: to organise elections and establish a reliable local government. This turns out to be an impossible task, for the islanders not only do not give a fig about the continental authorities, they speak in their own dialect, incomprehensible to outsiders. On this island in the Adriatic there are no phone connections with the mainland, but the people run a regular privately operated sea-route for smuggling in goods from Australia. Incredibly hilarious.

(edited for typos)

[Edited at 2012-08-18 17:43 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Literary works set on islands

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »