Interpreting for the police--the Kieslowski way
Thread poster: Jacek Krankowski (X)
Jacek Krankowski (X)
Jacek Krankowski (X)  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
Aug 4, 2002

Interpreting for the police can turn into a love story which defeats violence and death. The film \"Heaven,\" based on the late Krzysztof Kieslowski\'s last screenplay, opened the other day a film festival in Kazimierz Dolny, a cult town on the banks of the Vistula River in Poland. Featuring Cate Blanchett and Giovanni Ribisi it was shot in Italian, but I could dedicate it not only to my Italian friends.

When reporting on the opening of the last Berlin film festival, Guar
... See more
Interpreting for the police can turn into a love story which defeats violence and death. The film \"Heaven,\" based on the late Krzysztof Kieslowski\'s last screenplay, opened the other day a film festival in Kazimierz Dolny, a cult town on the banks of the Vistula River in Poland. Featuring Cate Blanchett and Giovanni Ribisi it was shot in Italian, but I could dedicate it not only to my Italian friends.

When reporting on the opening of the last Berlin film festival, Guardian wrote that the director of \"Run Lola Run\" had made a brave attempt to interpret the great Polish film-maker\'s unshot screenplay:

\"...It was perhaps inevitable that anyone adapting a Kieslowski project would be unfavourably compared with him. But the least that can be said about Heaven is that it is an attempt at the impossible that consistently refuses to compromise. It is a beautifully made film, shot with real flair and well acted throughout. As an opener for the huge Berlin festival, it makes the kind of statement that suggests more risks will be taken by the films in competition, even if some of them don\'t quite come off.\"

P.S. The film has just won the audience award in Kazimierz, despite reservations of film critics.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-08-11 21:05 ]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Interpreting for the police--the Kieslowski way

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »