Aurora Humarán (X)
Aurora Humarán (X)  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 11:09
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Translators... Nov 23, 2005

God employs several translators; some pieces are translated by age, some by sickness, some by war, some by justice.
John Donne

Aurora Humarán (X)
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Untranslatability Nov 23, 2005

Poetry cannot be translated; and, therefore, it is the poets that preserve the languages; for we would not be at the trouble to learn a language if we could have all that is written in it just as well in a translation. But as the beauties of poetry cannot be preserved in any language except that in which it
... See more

Poetry cannot be translated; and, therefore, it is the poets that preserve the languages; for we would not be at the trouble to learn a language if we could have all that is written in it just as well in a translation. But as the beauties of poetry cannot be preserved in any language except that in which it was originally written, we learn the language.
Johnson
Collapse

Aurora Humarán (X)
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
On words... Nov 23, 2005

[img]http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:2zmoh3a4F_cJ:images.encarta.msn.com/xrefmedia/sharemed/targets/images/pho/t044/T044897A.jsm[/img]

Grasp the subject, the words will follow.
Cato the Elder.

Aurora Humarán (X)
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
On dictionaries... Nov 28, 2005

DICTIONARY, n.
A malevolent literary device for cramping the growth of a language and making it hard and inelastic.

Ambrose Bierce

Aurora Humarán (X)
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
On interpreters... Nov 28, 2005

INTERPRETER, n.
One who enables two persons of different languages to understand each other by repeating to each what it would have been to the interpreter's advantage for the other to have said.

Ambrose Bierce

Aurora Humarán (X)
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
On translators Nov 28, 2005

The translator is not a necessary evil that interposes himself
between the text and the reader's ignorance. He is another voice that says, with whatever freedom the text permits, what the voice of the author has expressed. He installs himself within the word in order to say the word.

Dr. Alicia María Zorrilla (Academia Argentina de Letras)... See more

The translator is not a necessary evil that interposes himself
between the text and the reader's ignorance. He is another voice that says, with whatever freedom the text permits, what the voice of the author has expressed. He installs himself within the word in order to say the word.

Dr. Alicia María Zorrilla (Academia Argentina de Letras)
(translated by Dan Newland)
Collapse

Aurora Humarán (X)
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Translation is... Nov 29, 2005

"Translation is that which transforms everything so that nothing changes."
Günter Grass

(Translated by Dan Newland)

Aurora Humarán (X)
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Why translate? Nov 29, 2005

I am sometimes asked why I translate, since to many it seems a thankless vocation. Why, they ask, don\'t I write my own novels, since I have lived (they assume) an interesting life and must by now have an idea of what a novel should be? I can only say that not all translators are closet novelists, and that I do not consider translation to be a lesser
... See more

I am sometimes asked why I translate, since to many it seems a thankless vocation. Why, they ask, don\'t I write my own novels, since I have lived (they assume) an interesting life and must by now have an idea of what a novel should be? I can only say that not all translators are closet novelists, and that I do not consider translation to be a lesser art -- one that ought to lead to something better. The short, and very personal, answer to the question is: Because I love it. I love to read Chinese; I love to write in English. I love the challenge, the ambiguity, the uncertainty of the enterprise. I love the tension between creativity and fidelity, even the inevitable compromises. And, every once in a while, I find a work so exciting that I\'m possessed by the urge to put it into English. In other words, I translate to stay alive.

Howard Goldblatt

[Edited at 2005-11-29 09:34]
Collapse

nikolaev
nikolaev
Bulgaria
Local time: 17:09
Bulgarian to English
+ ...
Love Nov 30, 2005

Translation is love. Love of introducing foreign culture into your own. It is never paid as it should be, so it IS love.

Aurora Humarán (X)
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Money, money, money... Nov 30, 2005

nikolaev wrote:

Translation is love. Love of introducing foreign culture into your own. It is never paid as it should be, so it IS love.

I remember having read (sometime, somewhere) that sophists were not supposed to charge for the lessons to their students as no money compensation (or whatever the system was in 450 BC) was to be involved in the teaching process.

Au

(Let's hope our clients are not reading this, nikolaev!)

Aurora Humarán (X)
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Translating... Nov 30, 2005

Translating is also writing, and the words are an invitation to a nearly chess-like game between two persons: the author of the text (original expression) and the person that translates it (expression of the original in the Spanish language).
There is no victor or vanquished, but rather, two people who meet and need one another, and many (chess) pieces that must
... See more

Translating is also writing, and the words are an invitation to a nearly chess-like game between two persons: the author of the text (original expression) and the person that translates it (expression of the original in the Spanish language).
There is no victor or vanquished, but rather, two people who meet and need one another, and many (chess) pieces that must occupy their proper places following no few disputes and a few heroic feats.

Dr. Alicia María Zorrilla
Collapse

Aurora Humarán (X)
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
On translating... Nov 30, 2005

As far as modern writing is concerned, it is rarely rewarding to translate it, although it might be easy. Translation is very much like copying paintings.
Boris Pasternak

Aurora Humarán (X)
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A gift Nov 30, 2005

Translation is the paradigm, the exemplar of all writing. It is translation that demonstrates most vividly the yearning for transformation that underlies every act involving speech, that supremely human gift.
Harry Mathews

[Edited at 2005-11-30 18:28]

Aurora Humarán (X)
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Translators to be Dec 1, 2005

Students of translation need knowledge of linguistics, literary history, literary theory, and cultural history. The study of translation does not compartmentalize; it unifies.

André Lefevere

[Edited at 2005-12-01 02:05]

Aurora Humarán (X)
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Never ending studies Dec 1, 2005

Translators, who work with two or more languages, have the privilege of reflecting constantly on the material, and therefore, the obligation to do so.

Dr. Alicia María Zorrilla
(translated by Dan Newland)

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

On translators and translation

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »