Virgina Woolf in Spanish
Thread poster: Kevin Brown
Kevin Brown
Kevin Brown
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dec 10, 2004

Hi, everybody. I understand that VW began to be translated into Spanish as early as the 1920s by people like Borges (Orlando, A Room of One's Own, etc.). Someone even told me Julio Cortázar translated one of her works [?]. I've been given an Independent Study assignment of translating one of her lesser known essays into Spanish, with the idea of possibly publishing it in Latin America or Spain. What I'd like to know is: (1) whether the essay I'm working on, «Reviewing» (1939) has already ... See more
Hi, everybody. I understand that VW began to be translated into Spanish as early as the 1920s by people like Borges (Orlando, A Room of One's Own, etc.). Someone even told me Julio Cortázar translated one of her works [?]. I've been given an Independent Study assignment of translating one of her lesser known essays into Spanish, with the idea of possibly publishing it in Latin America or Spain. What I'd like to know is: (1) whether the essay I'm working on, «Reviewing» (1939) has already been done; and (2) what essay collections of hers other than AROO currently exist in Spanish translation. Best email address to reach me is [email protected]Collapse

Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 06:56
German to English
Virginia Woolf in Spanish Dec 10, 2004

Kevin Brown wrote:

Best email address to reach me is [email protected][/quote]

Hi Kevin,
I'd like to look into this because I'm a huge Virginia Woolf fan. Can you help us by giving us a short synopsis of the essay?

By the way, the best place to reach you is right here. That way everybody can see the results

Kim

[Edited at 2004-12-10 20:21]

Kim Metzger
Mexico
German to English
Possible lead Dec 10, 2004

The Reception of Virginia Woolf in Europe is part of the Project's sub-series on Twentieth Century Authors. The volume editors are Prof. Mary Ann Caws (CUNY, Graduate Centre) and Dr Nicola Luckhurst (Goldsmith's). The volume was published in November 2002.

Eighteen essays, prepared by an international team of scholars, critics and translators, record the ways in which Virginia Woolf has been translated, evaluated and emulated in French, German, Polish, Swedish, Danish, Greek, Italia
... See more
The Reception of Virginia Woolf in Europe is part of the Project's sub-series on Twentieth Century Authors. The volume editors are Prof. Mary Ann Caws (CUNY, Graduate Centre) and Dr Nicola Luckhurst (Goldsmith's). The volume was published in November 2002.

Eighteen essays, prepared by an international team of scholars, critics and translators, record the ways in which Virginia Woolf has been translated, evaluated and emulated in French, German, Polish, Swedish, Danish, Greek, Italian, Spanish, Galician, Catalan, and Portuguese. A final chapter looks at the European dimensions of the Hogarth Press.
November 2002 • 234 x 156 mm • 480 pp. • Hardback • ISBN: 0 8264 5588 3 • £100.00

VIII Spanish
'A Gaping Mouth, But No Words': Virginia Woolf Enters the Land of Butterflies Laura Lojo Rodriguez • The Emerging Voice: A Review of Spanish Scholarship on Virginia Woolf Alberto Lázaro • Virginia Woolf and the Search for Symbolic Mothers in Modern Spanish Fiction: The Case of 'Tres Mujeres' María José Gámez Fuentes

http://www.clarehall.cam.ac.uk/rbae/VWoolf.htm
Collapse

Kevin Brown
Kevin Brown
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Aspects of Virginia Woolf Dec 10, 2004

Thanks, I stand corrected about keeping it in the forum:-)

As for VW, let me give a little background. She's one of several English-language prose artists I intentionally modeled myself on as an essayist these past 25 years. (The others were Baldwin & Vidal.)

Around about 2001, I started a 5,000 word essay on VW. The main theme of it was that «the who, what, where and when are inseparable from the how: how the letters, diaries, book reviews and essays fertilized the
... See more
Thanks, I stand corrected about keeping it in the forum:-)

As for VW, let me give a little background. She's one of several English-language prose artists I intentionally modeled myself on as an essayist these past 25 years. (The others were Baldwin & Vidal.)

Around about 2001, I started a 5,000 word essay on VW. The main theme of it was that «the who, what, where and when are inseparable from the how: how the letters, diaries, book reviews and essays fertilized the novels; and how each diamond facet of her art -- masculinity and femininity, intimacy and alienation, granite solidity and rainbow iridescence -- is but a different aspect of a brilliantly flawed, whole person.»

«Reviewing» appears in the Leonoard Woolf compilation _Collected Essays of Virginia Woolf», and seems to have been originally published in the _Captain's Death Bed_. It seems clear to me that this essay is a kind of «summa» of VW's 35 years as a reviewer for the Times Literary Supplement. It might be a little dry for the «common reader» to relate to, but, for a professional book reviewer, this piece is amazingly acute and still (unfortunately) very timely about the place of book reviewing -- or rather lack of it -- in a society where people read less even as the amount of things to read increases exponentially. So, unless CDB has been translated into Spanish, I'm hoping I'm the first to do this particular essay for publication.
Collapse

Kim Metzger
Mexico
German to English
Another possible lead Dec 10, 2004

http://www.utoronto.ca/IVWS/Woolf00.html

Kevin Brown
Kevin Brown
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Leads Dec 11, 2004

These two should more than get me started. Thanks, again.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Virgina Woolf in Spanish

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »