William Weaver, American translator of Italian literature (1923-2013)
Thread poster: Aisha Maniar
Aisha Maniar
Aisha Maniar  Identity Verified
Arabic to English
+ ...
Nov 19, 2013

The famous American translator of modern Italian literature William Weaver has died. Unusually, here is an obituary for a translator in the mainstream media http://www.theguardian.com/books/2013/nov/18/william-weaver
It also contains interesting notes on how he worked - alone and with the writers he translated - and the process of becoming a renowned literary translator.
... See more
The famous American translator of modern Italian literature William Weaver has died. Unusually, here is an obituary for a translator in the mainstream media http://www.theguardian.com/books/2013/nov/18/william-weaver
It also contains interesting notes on how he worked - alone and with the writers he translated - and the process of becoming a renowned literary translator. Maybe some inspiration for budding literary translators and I'm sure many of us - English speakers - have read his translations of Italian literature too. RIP.
Aisha
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:35
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Dear Bill Nov 19, 2013

Aisha Maniar wrote:

It also contains interesting notes on how he worked - alone and with the writers he translated - and the process of becoming a renowned literary translator. Maybe some inspiration for budding literary translators and I'm sure many of us - English speakers - have read his translations of Italian literature too. RIP.
Aisha

I knew Bill Weaver and saw him (and many others) often at long, well-lubricated Sunday lunches at the ancient "casa da signori" in the hinterland of Florence, owned by some publisher friends I knew. He was an urbane and enjoyable man from whom I learned a lot about translation. His accounts of working with Italo Calvino on translating Calvino's books into English were illuminating. He also worked with Umberto Eco and others. One key thing he taught me, when I was a beginner: "don't worry about the first version of a translation; it's always a complete mess".

RIP for a very important translator. The fame of Calvino and Eco (and so much other Italian literature) in English is largely thanks to Bill's translations.

[Edited at 2013-11-19 12:44 GMT]

Aisha Maniar
Aisha Maniar  Identity Verified
Arabic to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you... Nov 19, 2013

for sharing that, Tom, and the tip he gave you. I agree that his translations are in large part responsible for the fame of many Italian novelists and writers in English, as well as, I would posit, respect for translated literature in general, which is not as well received by English-speaking readers as it is by others. He certainly was and remains important to translation and literature.

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:35
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
A loss Nov 19, 2013

I enjoyed his translations of Eco's books very much - never once did I sense that I was reading a translation rather than an original work.
I'm sure it was possible to learn a great deal about the art and profession from him.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

William Weaver, American translator of Italian literature (1923-2013)

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »