Let's talk about White Teeth by Zadie Smith
Thread poster: Zhoudan
Zhoudan
Zhoudan  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:28
English to Chinese
+ ...
Oct 15, 2004

I finally finished the translation of White Smith by Zadie Smith and would like to thank all the proziens that helped me out! By now many of you must have read the book! So, let's talk about the book. Let's share our understanding or misunderstanding of the theme, the structure, the language, the difficulty in translation (of course!), etc. The book is so complex that I believe it would make a good topic for any interesting discussion.

Zhoudan

David Knowles
David Knowles  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:28
Member (2002)
Russian to English
+ ...
Zhou Dan's questions Oct 16, 2004

Quite a good point to start is the list of questions that Zhou Dan asked during her translation. All the questions she has asked are to be found at

http://www.proz.com/pro/11821?show_mode=kudoz&sub_mode=asked

I think she asked her first question on 6 January this year (to koof=to cuff), so it's reasonable to assume it took at least 10 months to do the
... See more
Quite a good point to start is the list of questions that Zhou Dan asked during her translation. All the questions she has asked are to be found at

http://www.proz.com/pro/11821?show_mode=kudoz&sub_mode=asked

I think she asked her first question on 6 January this year (to koof=to cuff), so it's reasonable to assume it took at least 10 months to do the translation!

It's a while since I read the book, and I will have to look at it again, but my main impressions of the book are the rich, extravagant language, and the vignettes of life that she wrote about. One in particular, the sad tale of Irie trying to get her hair straightened, I found very touching and close to life.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Let's talk about White Teeth by Zadie Smith

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »