Ramsés Cabrera Olivares
Ramsés Cabrera Olivares
Spain
Local time: 11:05
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 6, 2013

Dear colleagues from proz.com,

I am translating a sci-fi book that features a four-armed alien species. Both pairs of arms are located at shoulder height, but the terms used to distinguish one pair from the other - forward arms and rear arms - confuse me. Reading the sentence "The alien picked up a magazine from the ground using his rear hands", would you think he is using the pair that is closer to his back, or the one that is closer to his chest?

Thank you for your at
... See more
Dear colleagues from proz.com,

I am translating a sci-fi book that features a four-armed alien species. Both pairs of arms are located at shoulder height, but the terms used to distinguish one pair from the other - forward arms and rear arms - confuse me. Reading the sentence "The alien picked up a magazine from the ground using his rear hands", would you think he is using the pair that is closer to his back, or the one that is closer to his chest?

Thank you for your attention. I could really use some help, and I would deeply appreciate any translating tips given in this regard.
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Depends on the register Jun 6, 2013

To me, the rear arms are the ones that are closer to the back. As for translating forward and rear, you have two options, depending on the register you want: "delanteros/traseros" and "anteriores/posteriores". The latter is the one I would use. Good luck!

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:05
Russian to English
+ ...
The rear arms will be always the arms closer to the back. Jun 6, 2013

I am sure. he probably has some arms that he uses when the object is in front of him, and then some rear arms for things behind him.

Ramsés Cabrera Olivares
Ramsés Cabrera Olivares
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I agree with the solutions provided. Jun 6, 2013

Dear colleagues:

Thank you for your kind answers. I agree with you both, Tomás and Lilian. The truth is, I had been struggling with this issue for quite some time. In fact, I had some difficulties distinguishing "posterior" and "anterior", even when it's my mother tongue! I guess I should watch Sesame Street again to get directions right, ha.

Regards.
Ramsés.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Eng -> Sp - Description: four-armed aliens

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »