Thread poster: linda_gong
linda_gong
linda_gong  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 09:53
Chinese to English
+ ...
Jan 31, 2013

Rushdie has frequently been listed as the candidate among the Nobel Prize competition, but in china there is just Shame which has been translated in Chinese. I think it is compulsary to translate his other works into Chinese for I think he is very possible to become the winner of next Nobel Prize winner.

Yvette Neisser Moreno
Yvette Neisser Moreno  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:53
Spanish to English
+ ...
I have "The Satanic Verses" Jan 31, 2013

Hi Linda. I have a copy of Rushdie's novel "The Satanic Verses." I'm not sure if that addresses your question.

Suzan Hamer
Suzan Hamer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 03:53
English
+ ...
And I have "The Ground Beneath her Feet." Jan 31, 2013

Are you asking because you'd like people to send you the books in English?

linda_gong
China
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How can I get it? Jan 31, 2013

Yvette Neisser Moreno wrote:

Hi Linda. I have a copy of Rushdie's novel "The Satanic Verses." I'm not sure if that addresses your question.

Really? terrific! Thanks very much!
Yours is e-book or paper version? How can I get yours?
Please tell me how much does it cost.
Thanks and happy new year!

linda_gong
China
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
YES Jan 31, 2013

Suzan Hamer wrote:

Are you asking because you'd like people to send you the books in English?

Thanks for your reply!
Yes, it had better to be e-book. But if it is not e-book, other version is also ok.

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Rushdie Jan 31, 2013

I have practically everything he ever wrote. Midnight's Children, The Ground beneath her Feet (although I have an uneasy feeling someone has stolen that one) and Haroun and the Sea of Stories being my favourites, at least one of them would make it into my personal top ten.
But no way will I send anyone any of them, I need them, I re-read them often. I sometimes dip into them in search of linguistic inspiration. I'd rather buy copies and give them away (and I have done on several occasions)
... See more
I have practically everything he ever wrote. Midnight's Children, The Ground beneath her Feet (although I have an uneasy feeling someone has stolen that one) and Haroun and the Sea of Stories being my favourites, at least one of them would make it into my personal top ten.
But no way will I send anyone any of them, I need them, I re-read them often. I sometimes dip into them in search of linguistic inspiration. I'd rather buy copies and give them away (and I have done on several occasions).

You do realise you might be treading on sensitive ground, don't you? The Satanic Verses was banned in many countries and several translators and publishers were targeted by terrorists. The Japanese translator even lost his life. I am firmly in favour of free speech and free publication and firmly believe that the entire fatwa episode was totally ludicrous, and misplaced, in that it was only a character in the novel who said anything remotely anti-Islam, and the character is told by another in no uncertain terms that he should not say such things. However you might want to give it some thought before launching into a translation. One of his recent publications gives an account of the whole affair (can't remember the name but you'll find it easily).

And if you do go ahead, I would advise investing in a good thesaurus, his command of vocabulary being probably triple that of the average writer
Collapse

Graham Allen-Rawlings
Graham Allen-Rawlings  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Have a look at this link Jan 31, 2013

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/search/advanced?searchAuthor=Salman%20Rushdie

I have Fury, Grimus, Luka and the Fire of Life, Midnight's Children, Shalimar the Clown, Shame, The Enchantress of Florence, The Moors's Last Sigh and The Satanic Verses in Epub format.

I wouldn't be surprised if he wins a Nobel, he has certainly made an imp
... See more

I have Fury, Grimus, Luka and the Fire of Life, Midnight's Children, Shalimar the Clown, Shame, The Enchantress of Florence, The Moors's Last Sigh and The Satanic Verses in Epub format.

I wouldn't be surprised if he wins a Nobel, he has certainly made an important literary contribution.
Collapse

linda_gong
China
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good news for me! Jan 31, 2013

Graham Allen-Rawlings wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised if he wins a Nobel, he has certainly made an important literary contribution.

Yes, I think so. Thanks for your advice, but the above link is owned by yourself? You had said that you had his books like Fury, Grimus, Luka and the Fire of Life, Midnight's Children, Shalimar the Clown, Shame, The Enchantress of Florence, The Moors's Last Sigh and The Satanic Verses. However, will you sell them to me or did you suggest me buying via this link?
I think translating him is a great task and I will be dedicated to it for he is a author worth it. I think he will definitely win at last.
Look farward to your reply!
Thanks and happy new year!

Catherine Howard
Catherine Howard
United States
Portuguese to English
+ ...
"Satanic Verses" already translated into Chinese May 3, 2013

linda_gong wrote:

Rushdie has frequently been listed as the candidate among the Nobel Prize competition, but in china there is just Shame which has been translated in Chinese. I think it is compulsary to translate his other works into Chinese for I think he is very possible to become the winner of next Nobel Prize winner.

Hi Linda,

Before you plunge into translating anything by Rushdie, I suggest you do some more investigating to find out which books of his have already been translated into Chinese. "The Satanic Verses" was translated into Chinese in 2002 (and was a bestseller), as reported in this on-line article:

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/archives/2002/10/23/0000176752

I don't know about his other books, but I would besurprised if some of them weren't already translated into Chinese, given the success of the "Verses" book and the size of the Chinese market. The task you face is finding out which ones have not been translated yet.

Also, since he is such an internationally well-known author, you need to inquire of his English publishers FIRST about whether you can obtain the rights to do a translation. Rights to bestseller books by famous authors are usually arranged soon after the original publication. It may be necessary to pay for these rights, which is something probably only a Chinese publisher could afford. But sometimes translators convince publishers to get the rights and pay for the translation. Right now I'm in the midst of reading his most recent book, "Joseph Anton: A Memoir" (2012), about his years spent in hiding to avoid the "fatwa" the Iranian ayatollah declared against him after "The Satanic Verses" was published. Maybe you could find out if the translation rights are available and convince a publisher to pay you to translate it. Good luck, and keep us posted!

[Edited at 2013-05-03 00:30 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-05-03 00:34 GMT]

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Chinese to English
amazon, taobao May 3, 2013

Linda, you know Amazon is in China now, right?

http://www.amazon.cn/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?__mk_zh_CN=亚马逊网站&url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=rushdie

There are also many English language books availa
... See more
Linda, you know Amazon is in China now, right?

http://www.amazon.cn/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?__mk_zh_CN=亚马逊网站&url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=rushdie

There are also many English language books available on Taobao:

http://s.taobao.com/search?q=rushdie&commend=all&ssid=s5-e&search_type=item&sourceId=tb.index

Things have changed in the last 5 years! Most of the stuff you want can easily be bought in China now.
Collapse

Catherine Howard
Catherine Howard
United States
Portuguese to English
+ ...
P.S.: interview with Rushdie on Chinese censorship May 3, 2013

P.S.: I just found this link to an article published yesterday in "The Atlantic Monthly" magazine, in which Rushdie specifically talks about Chinese censorship.

http://www.theatlantic.com/china/archive/2013/05/salman-rushdie-on-chinese-censorship/275484/

In it he says "very few" of his books have been published in C
... See more
P.S.: I just found this link to an article published yesterday in "The Atlantic Monthly" magazine, in which Rushdie specifically talks about Chinese censorship.

http://www.theatlantic.com/china/archive/2013/05/salman-rushdie-on-chinese-censorship/275484/

In it he says "very few" of his books have been published in China, even though he tried twice to get all of them published there. He said both times he was just told "No," but it's not clear who said no, whether publishers or the government. Apparently he's been very critical of Chinese censorship, so that may be why Chinese publishers are reluctant to take him on board. But what this suggests, again, is that you really DO have to do your homework before starting a translation, to find out who he contacted, whether he already has the books translated and ready for publication, or what. Several literary translation websites have good advice on how to do this background research. "Joseph Anton: A Memoir" was published in England by Jonathan Cape Publishers, so they would be the first ones to contact. (It was published in the U.S. by Random House, but I think his British publisher is the place to start.)

Also, since "The Satanic Verses" was published in Taiwan (as I mentioned earlier), maybe you could research whether other Taiwanese publishers have put out Chinese translations of his other works.

Again, good luck!

[Edited at 2013-05-03 14:13 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does someone have Rushdie's works of English version

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »