Publishing translations - Contracts with Author-Editor
Thread poster: Clare Hine-Goubin
Clare Hine-Goubin
Clare Hine-Goubin  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:43
French to English
Jan 24, 2013

Hi,

I am embarking on a translation project working directly with the author, who has set up his own publishing company, but publishes through Amazon's kindle and POD deal.

This is a very small edition and I don't expect it to make any money at all, but still need to sort out a contract.

The author is offering me 10% of the royalties he receives from Amazon (which I think are 70%).

Does anyone have experience of this? I suppose in this situatio
... See more
Hi,

I am embarking on a translation project working directly with the author, who has set up his own publishing company, but publishes through Amazon's kindle and POD deal.

This is a very small edition and I don't expect it to make any money at all, but still need to sort out a contract.

The author is offering me 10% of the royalties he receives from Amazon (which I think are 70%).

Does anyone have experience of this? I suppose in this situation, Amazon is considered to be the editor. So that means that my contract is actually with the author, rather than the editor... All the sample contracts I can find (I'm based in France) are between translator and editor.

Any hints or advice?

Many thanks,

Clare
Collapse

Allison Wright (X)
Allison Wright (X)  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 23:43
You need to agree a basic rate. Jan 24, 2013

You have said yourself that you do not expect the book to sell much.

10% of almost nothing is almost nothing.
You cannot and must not work for nothing!

Longer works (books, projects, etc.) have a way of being much more arduous than one imagines at the outset.

You need to get remunerated for your work, and establish a set fee for the translation work (a rate per word), as well as time spent collaborating with the author (an hourly rate),
... See more
You have said yourself that you do not expect the book to sell much.

10% of almost nothing is almost nothing.
You cannot and must not work for nothing!

Longer works (books, projects, etc.) have a way of being much more arduous than one imagines at the outset.

You need to get remunerated for your work, and establish a set fee for the translation work (a rate per word), as well as time spent collaborating with the author (an hourly rate), and possibly travel expenses too.

Depending on the length of time spent on this work, you will need at least 50% of your fee in advance. Translating and starving at the same time is no fun. You need to agree a schedule/date for the balance of the payment due too. This should be independent from whether the book sells well or not. If the author still want to offer you a percentage of royalties over and above the fee for translation, then this is reasonable. Some translators receive this as a matter of course, and the EU has specific guidelines on the matter (except Portugal where translators have no leverage in this regard at all).

"Your" author is dreaming if he thinks that what he is offering is reasonable.

You mention that this is a "small edition". If it is a small edition of poetry, with heavy involvement by the author in the translation, you may find you will be spending more time collaborating than anything else.

This link might enlighten!
http://fit-ift.org.dedi303.nur4.host-h.net/index.php?frontend_action=display_compound_text_content&item_id=3378

[Edited at 2013-01-24 13:02 GMT]
Collapse

Clare Hine-Goubin
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Ebooks on Amazon Direct Jan 24, 2013

Many thanks for all your advice and suggestions.

Whereas I do agree with you on the principal of not working for free, and I apply this to the rest of my translation work, in this case, I am not looking on this is a direct money-earner. Yes, in an ideal world I should be paid for the time spent, but the author is a teacher, not a professional author earning a living.

The subject matter is a series of short traditional-type tales for children, and as a professional story
... See more
Many thanks for all your advice and suggestions.

Whereas I do agree with you on the principal of not working for free, and I apply this to the rest of my translation work, in this case, I am not looking on this is a direct money-earner. Yes, in an ideal world I should be paid for the time spent, but the author is a teacher, not a professional author earning a living.

The subject matter is a series of short traditional-type tales for children, and as a professional storyteller I will appropriate those stories to be able to tell them to audiences live. Having my name on the book and being able to reference it online etc. will, I hope, enable me to promote my storytelling activities, while the book sale proceeds will, I imagine, be minimal for all concerned.

I was wondering more about the relationship between an author/editor publishing on Amazon Direct and about being paid a percentage of the author/editor's royalties. Sorting out the details and drafting the contract looks set to take more time than the actual translation itself!!!

Have any other translators worked on translations of ebooks published on Amazon Direct?
Collapse

OlafK
OlafK
United Kingdom
English to German
+ ...
Don't work for royalties only Jan 24, 2013

I agree with everything Allison says. Don't work for for royalties only. Teachers earn money, don't they? So if the author wants their book published in a foreign language why shouldn't they pay? I don't understand your point. Get a fixed fee plus royalties and get at least half of the fixed fee in advance.
Or alternatively: Work for free (since you say you don't need the money). But then what is the purpose of this thread? You may excuse my irritation but I'm trying to make a living trans
... See more
I agree with everything Allison says. Don't work for for royalties only. Teachers earn money, don't they? So if the author wants their book published in a foreign language why shouldn't they pay? I don't understand your point. Get a fixed fee plus royalties and get at least half of the fixed fee in advance.
Or alternatively: Work for free (since you say you don't need the money). But then what is the purpose of this thread? You may excuse my irritation but I'm trying to make a living translating books.
Collapse

Helen Shiner
Helen Shiner  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Society of Authors Jan 24, 2013

You might do well to consult the Society of Authors or its equivalent in the country where you are based. They have extensive resources on such subjects and also provide contract vetting services.

http://www.societyofauthors.org/about-us/regional-groups

Clare Hine-Goubin
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Renegotiating Feb 5, 2013

Thanks to all of you for your comments. You're quite right of course about payment and I'm trying to renegotiate. (I certainly do need the money!!) A little reminder from colleagues is a very useful thing... Thank you!!

I've not got any further with questions regarding the legal status of author/editor/Amazon etc., but will post back here if I find anything useful.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Publishing translations - Contracts with Author-Editor

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »