Frankfurter Book Fair 2012: are you going?
Thread poster: Mathilda Banfield
Mathilda Banfield
Mathilda Banfield  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 16:51
Chinese to Dutch
+ ...
Oct 6, 2012

Maybe I didn't search correctly, but I cannot find a topic about the Frankfurter Book Fair, while it seems that it might be important for translators. So I'm wondering if it's that everyone knows something I don't know, namely one shouldn't go there...

I am just curious whether literary translators think it is useful to go to a book fair. I've decided to go to Frankfurt coming week, because I'd like to see what it's like and if I can get some ideas for new books to introduce to publ
... See more
Maybe I didn't search correctly, but I cannot find a topic about the Frankfurter Book Fair, while it seems that it might be important for translators. So I'm wondering if it's that everyone knows something I don't know, namely one shouldn't go there...

I am just curious whether literary translators think it is useful to go to a book fair. I've decided to go to Frankfurt coming week, because I'd like to see what it's like and if I can get some ideas for new books to introduce to publishers. I'm also going because I hope it's enjoyable.

I am also curious whether anyone has been there in the past and whether they felt it helped them in some way.

So are you going? Have you been? Why (not)? Ever thought of going?

For those who'd like to know, literary translation is not my main activity, because I wouldn't be able to live off it. So I go to Frankfurt out of interest, hoping to increase the amount of literary translation that I can do, but at the same time knowing that my investment (i.e. train tickets and other costs) is not necessarily worth it...
Collapse

Usch Pilz
Usch Pilz
English to German
+ ...
Enjoy! Oct 7, 2012

I go there every other year or so, just to see which way things are moving in the book and publishing world.
I find the fair inspiring - if sometimes somewhat overwhelming.
It always makes me wonder who will read all those books and how many translators must be out there, somewhere, making them readable.

The fair itself may not be the best place to do business, because the publishers' representatives usually have a very tight schedule for meetings and talks. But you can
... See more
I go there every other year or so, just to see which way things are moving in the book and publishing world.
I find the fair inspiring - if sometimes somewhat overwhelming.
It always makes me wonder who will read all those books and how many translators must be out there, somewhere, making them readable.

The fair itself may not be the best place to do business, because the publishers' representatives usually have a very tight schedule for meetings and talks. But you can always ask for the name and business card of the editor of your field and contact them after the fair.

You can also talk to representatives of VdÜ who as an association represent lots of German literary translators ...

If you have never been, just the experience is worth trying it at least once.
Enjoy!
Collapse

Mathilda Banfield
Netherlands
Chinese to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Oct 7, 2012

Thank you so much for your comment!

It's interesting that we actually see here one of the questions I have been asking myself: should I be going for the contacts, the people, when trying to establish myself (this word is a bit too big for me..) as a literary translator, or should I be paying more attention to the literary field in order to know what books are the real gems that I can introduce to a publisher for immediate success...? I think both are important, if you have time...
... See more
Thank you so much for your comment!

It's interesting that we actually see here one of the questions I have been asking myself: should I be going for the contacts, the people, when trying to establish myself (this word is a bit too big for me..) as a literary translator, or should I be paying more attention to the literary field in order to know what books are the real gems that I can introduce to a publisher for immediate success...? I think both are important, if you have time...

So I'll be sure to collect name cards of interesting contacts, as well as paying attention to the literature that's there.

However, maybe all the literature that's out there on the Book Fair has already been picked up by a translator? I should think most publishers have a chapter ready to show the English..
Collapse

Mathilda Banfield
Netherlands
Chinese to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
reporting on how it went Oct 14, 2012

I know this is not a hot topic, but in case someone finds this through search and wonders how it went in the end, I'm pasting part of a short report that I put on my website, hoping it helps someone who's thinking of going to a (any) Book Fair. Here's part of the report:

A general phenomenon that was to be expected seems to be that publishers don’t realize how important literary translators are for their business. Publishers depend heavily on a lively, globalized liter... See more
I know this is not a hot topic, but in case someone finds this through search and wonders how it went in the end, I'm pasting part of a short report that I put on my website, hoping it helps someone who's thinking of going to a (any) Book Fair. Here's part of the report:

A general phenomenon that was to be expected seems to be that publishers don’t realize how important literary translators are for their business. Publishers depend heavily on a lively, globalized literary scene. Translators facilitate this interaction, and help make sure the global literary scene stays alive and inspiring. Literary agents (or the ones we met) seem to have a clearer awareness of this. However, agents are extremely busy and difficult to be introduced to at the Fair itself. It is better to know who’s who beforehand and make sure there are existing contacts. Publishers are interested when you ask for their rights lists, they become more eager when you tell them you are interested in their titles and want to introduce some of the best titles to foreign agents for translation. But then they pay much less attention when you offer to introduce titles from abroad for translation to be published by them. The relevant people focusing on that aspect were never there and those in rights selling positions told us they would forward anything relevant to them.
Thus, the Book Fair mostly becomes a good venue to get to know other translators, exchange ideas with them and discuss translation related matters, besides this the Book Fair is good for keeping contact with people (agents, contacts within publishing houses) that you already know, rather than establishing new contacts with people who are not translators. Then there is the huge amount of time spent walking around all the stands of publishers, gathering piles of material on interesting and uninteresting books, filtering through it and chucking part when the bag becomes too heavy, and trudging on… Much inspiration and knowledge is out there waiting, as well as a lot of less interesting material. We enjoyed our trip very much, and hope to follow up on interesting information and contacts in the coming weeks.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Frankfurter Book Fair 2012: are you going?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »