Flaubert, Sentimental Education - quotemining needed
Thread poster: S P Willcock (X)
S P Willcock (X)
S P Willcock (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:30
German to English
+ ...
Jul 11, 2012

I have a short literary translation from German to English, but it is peppered with quotes from other writers including Flaubert. I could of course just shrug my shoulders and translate the German without further ado, but I prefer to get to the source if I possibly can.

Sadly, living in small-town Romania I don't have easy access to a French or English edition to check quotes, so I am relying on colleagues for help here! Either the French original or an accepted, standard Emglish t
... See more
I have a short literary translation from German to English, but it is peppered with quotes from other writers including Flaubert. I could of course just shrug my shoulders and translate the German without further ado, but I prefer to get to the source if I possibly can.

Sadly, living in small-town Romania I don't have easy access to a French or English edition to check quotes, so I am relying on colleagues for help here! Either the French original or an accepted, standard Emglish translation would be equally helpful.

In particular I need help with the description of the brothel in Nogent, the little grey house by the Seine.

First, what phrase do the towsnfolk use to describe it when Frédéric was young? The German phrase is roughly equivalent to "den of perdition" or "house of sin" but I welcome any other phrasings.

Next, what phrase do Frédéric and Deslauriers use in their old age when they look back on their failed visit to the brothel? The German might translate as "We never had it so good" or "That was the best we ever had" but again, I'd like to hear how Flaubert himself or other Eglish translators have dealt with it.

With thanks to all colleagues.
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:30
Member (2008)
Italian to English
ebook Jul 11, 2012

You can search the text here or buy it as an ebook - a very slightly revised version of Robert Baldick's very good translation done in the 1960s.

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=_SVz5dXrEHIC

[Edited at 2012-07-11 16:06 GMT]

Kate Chaffer
Kate Chaffer
Italy
Local time: 07:30
Member (2009)
Italian to English
Possibly? Jul 11, 2012

"This home of perdition"

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=B4gSUy6HZl0C&pg=RA1-PA207&dq="this%20home%20of%20perdition"&hl=en&sa=X&ei=-qT9T8PJIPHU4QTvrNDUBg&ved=0CDsQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q="this%20home%20of%20perdition"&f=false
... See more
"This home of perdition"

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=B4gSUy6HZl0C&pg=RA1-PA207&dq="this%20home%20of%20perdition"&hl=en&sa=X&ei=-qT9T8PJIPHU4QTvrNDUBg&ved=0CDsQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q="this%20home%20of%20perdition"&f=false

"That was the best time we ever had"

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=B4gSUy6HZl0C&pg=RA1-PA208&dq="best%20time%20we%20ever%20had"&hl=en&sa=X&ei=eaT9T8LyBYjk4QT5tojFBg&ved=0CDEQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q="best%20time%20we%20ever%20had"&f=false
Collapse

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:30
German to English
+ ...
French Jul 11, 2012

Ce lieu de perdition...

C'est là ce que nous avons eu de meilleur !

http://www.ebooksgratuits.com/ebooksfrance/flaubert_education_sentimentale.pdf

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 07:30
Spanish to English
+ ...
Personal experience Jul 11, 2012

The last time I had to deal with quotes in a book translation, I found that I really didn't like some of the "official" or "original" translations and ended up redoing some of them, after consulting the author. You'll sometimes find several English versions of the same quote, so why not add your own to the list?

S P Willcock (X)
S P Willcock (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:30
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Absolutely agree Jul 12, 2012

I very much agree with neilmac that the only thing to do, in the end, is come up with my own version - but many, many thanks nevertheless to all who have helped me track down the other versions that are out there.

Since I'm translating my author's German, of course, and not Flaubert directly, there is another layer of interference/nuance that I have told you good people nothing about.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Flaubert, Sentimental Education - quotemining needed

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »