Should cataloguing details be translated?
Thread poster: Magdalena Ponce
Magdalena Ponce
Magdalena Ponce  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:01
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 7, 2012

Hi everyone!
I've been sent a manuscript to translate, only including the extracts of a book the author expects me to translate. Surprisingly, he included the cataloguing details of the book that appear in the copyright page (similar to the index card they would keep at a library, for those who have no idea what I'm talking about!). My first reaction was to tell him that it should not be translated, but before doing so I thought it wouldn't hurt to check with you guys. What do you think?... See more
Hi everyone!
I've been sent a manuscript to translate, only including the extracts of a book the author expects me to translate. Surprisingly, he included the cataloguing details of the book that appear in the copyright page (similar to the index card they would keep at a library, for those who have no idea what I'm talking about!). My first reaction was to tell him that it should not be translated, but before doing so I thought it wouldn't hurt to check with you guys. What do you think?
Thanks!
Collapse

Barbara Carrara
Barbara Carrara  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 19:01
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Not sure what you mean by 'cataloguing details' Feb 8, 2012

Can you please elaborate? Thanks.

Magdalena Ponce
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Cataloguing details Feb 8, 2012

Cataloguing details appear in the bottom half of the copyright page. Here's an example:
http://www.tileyourworld.com/images/book%20samples%20006.jpg
It's similar to a library index card.
Thanks for asking!

Barbara Carrara
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
These Details Come After the Translation Process Feb 8, 2012

If you are still translating the manuscript how can you possibly know the book ISBN number or the other details (CIP catalogue record; printer's details; cover information)?
The 'All rights reserved' part is a set phrase, which I believe might differ slightly from publisher to publisher.
I would inform the author accordingly.
Ciao!

Magdalena Ponce
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Feb 8, 2012

Tante grazie, Barbara! I've already talked to my client and he agreed with us. Thanks for answering!

Barbara Carrara
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
... Feb 9, 2012

Always a pleasure to discuss books and book parts and publishing issues...
Happy translating, Cuiviewen!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Should cataloguing details be translated?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »