Eva Blanar
Eva Blanar  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 07:25
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Jun 6, 2004

Dear All,

There are a couple of children's book written by Benoit Coppée and illustrated by Nicholas Viot, published by the EU DG Environment in recent years and allegedly translated into all official languages of the EU.
Now I am in charge of translating one of these into Hungarian and I would like to know how the problem of translating the personal names into the other languages was solved. On the web, I could find the French version, but no trace of German etc.
It w
... See more
Dear All,

There are a couple of children's book written by Benoit Coppée and illustrated by Nicholas Viot, published by the EU DG Environment in recent years and allegedly translated into all official languages of the EU.
Now I am in charge of translating one of these into Hungarian and I would like to know how the problem of translating the personal names into the other languages was solved. On the web, I could find the French version, but no trace of German etc.
It would be of course too much luck to have a Prozian as the translator of these books, but still... possible, isn't it?
Thanks in advance,
Eva
Collapse

Ruxi
Ruxi
German to Romanian
+ ...
Good luck, Eva Jun 6, 2004

Dear Eva,

I don't know what the names are like, if they can be translated.If they include a personal name followed by a common noun, you can translate the last one (e.g Donald Duck). Personally I am not for translating personal names.
Do you translate from the original version, or from another language?
Can you tell me if the idea was yours, or the one of the editor? I am asking because I would like to know how you solve the problem of the copy-right.
If the idea c
... See more
Dear Eva,

I don't know what the names are like, if they can be translated.If they include a personal name followed by a common noun, you can translate the last one (e.g Donald Duck). Personally I am not for translating personal names.
Do you translate from the original version, or from another language?
Can you tell me if the idea was yours, or the one of the editor? I am asking because I would like to know how you solve the problem of the copy-right.
If the idea comes from the editor it is simple, he is responsible for the copy right, but if you have the idea to translate something interesting?

Good luck anyway,

Ruxi
Collapse

Eva Blanar
Eva Blanar  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all... Jun 12, 2004

... who contacted me by email and gave me very useful comments and hints.
This actually is a series of books, actually translated into several EU languages (the first one even exists in two translations into English), so I could find an answer to all of my questions.

I wish you all lots of fun in your work: I like to translate literature, because it is at least well-written (as opposed to many business or even legal texts).

See more
... who contacted me by email and gave me very useful comments and hints.
This actually is a series of books, actually translated into several EU languages (the first one even exists in two translations into English), so I could find an answer to all of my questions.

I wish you all lots of fun in your work: I like to translate literature, because it is at least well-written (as opposed to many business or even legal texts).

Eva
Collapse

Martin Schöneich
Martin Schöneich  Identity Verified
Germany
French to German
Hello, in other languages names are "translated" Jun 13, 2004

Dear Eva,

I have at home the french and the german edition of your book. Other fantasy names are chosen in the translation (Lilli -> Lila, Tom stays Tom, Merlin-Ville -> Niederamsbach). I know that this is true also for the swedish edition.
Good luck

Martin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Children's book by Benoit Coppée - Nicholas Viot

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »