Prices in fiction
Thread poster: Morten Alme
Morten Alme
Morten Alme

English to Norwegian
Dec 6, 2011

Anyone have an idea on what the norm is for translating fiction?

I've done technical translations. And this is normally priced higher. But fiction, specially when there is competition, I do not want to overprice, and I do not want to underprice. Anyhow, this is a dream job, as I will do my speciality, and I can travel at the same time.

All advice is appreciated.

Evans (X)
Evans (X)
Local time: 16:51
Spanish to English
+ ...
Depends on the country Dec 6, 2011

The rates vary hugely according to the country in which the fiction is or would be published. The best thing is to contact the translation association of the country concerned. If it were England, you could get the relevant information from the Translators Association of the Society of Authors. I imagine there is something equivalent in Norway. They should be able to give you an idea.

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:51
Russian to English
+ ...
Check this forum thread, and this item in particular Dec 6, 2011

http://www.proz.com/forum/literature_poetry/143723-can_you_earn_a_living_as_a_literary_translator.html#1202636

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Prices in fiction

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »