If we could shrink the earth´s population to 100 people...
Thread poster: Aurora Humarán (X)
Aurora Humarán (X)
Aurora Humarán (X)  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 03:40
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 8, 2002

All these numbers have had a very strong effect on my mind and my heart.

May be because I´m a right-brain sort...

May be seeing the figures exercises a special something that my friends (words) do not exercise...

May be the message is so terribly true...

Quería compartirlo con ustedes. Aurora

If we could shrink the earth\'s population to a village of precisely 100 people, with all the existing human ratios remai
... See more

May be seeing the figures exercises a special something that my friends (words) do not exercise...

If we could shrink the earth\'s population to a village of precisely 100 people, with all the existing human ratios remaining the same, it would look something like the following:

There would be:

57 Asians

21 Europeans

14 from the Western Hemisphere, both north and south

8 Africans

52 would be female

48 would be male

70 would be non-white

30 would be white

70 would be non-Christian

30 would be Christian

89 would be heterosexual

11 would be homosexual

6 people would possess 59% of the entire world\'s wealth and all 6 would be from the United States.

80 would live in substandard housing

70 would be unable to read

50 would suffer from malnutrition

1 would be near death; 1 would be near birth

1 (yes, only 1) would have a college education

1 would own a computer

When one considers our world from such a compressed perspective, the need for acceptance, understanding and

education becomes glaringly apparent.

The following is also something to ponder...

If you woke up this morning with more health than illness...you are more blessed than the million who will not survive this week.

If you have never experienced the danger of battle, the loneliness of imprisonment, the agony of torture, or the pangs of starvation ...you are ahead of 500 million people in the world.

If you can attend a church meeting without fear of harassment, arrest, torture, or death ...you are more blessed than three billion people in the world.

If you have food in the refrigerator, clothes on your back, a roof overhead and a place to sleep...you are richer than 75% of

this world.

If you have money in the bank, in your wallet, and spare change in a dish someplace ... you are among the top 8% of the world\'s wealthy.

If your parents are still alive and still married ... you are very rare, even in the United States and Canada.

If you can read this message, you just received a double blessing in that someone was thinking of you, and furthermore,

you are more blessed than over two billion people in the world that cannot read at all.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-04-08 16:08 ]
Collapse

swisstell
swisstell
Italy
Local time: 08:40
German to English
+ ...
Thank you Aurora. Refreshing to get a most interesting input not connected to KudoZ points. Apr 8, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-04-08 16:02, aurorah wrote:

If we could s... See more
Quote:

On 2002-04-08 16:02, aurorah wrote:

If we could shrink the earth\'s population to a village of precisely 100 people, with all the existing human ratios remaining the same, it would look something like the following:

There would be:

57 Asians

21 Europeans

14 from the Western Hemisphere, both north and south

8 Africans

52 would be female

48 would be male

70 would be non-white

30 would be white

70 would be non-Christian

30 would be Christian

89 would be heterosexual

11 would be homosexual

6 people would possess 59% of the entire world\'s wealth and all 6 would be from the United States.

80 would live in substandard housing

70 would be unable to read

50 would suffer from malnutrition

1 would be near death; 1 would be near birth

1 (yes, only 1) would have a college education

1 would own a computer

When one considers our world from such a compressed perspective, the need for acceptance, understanding and

education becomes glaringly apparent.

The following is also something to ponder...

If you woke up this morning with more health than illness...you are more blessed than the million who will not survive this week.

If you have never experienced the danger of battle, the loneliness of imprisonment, the agony of torture, or the pangs of starvation ...you are ahead of 500 million people in the world.

If you can attend a church meeting without fear of harassment, arrest, torture, or death ...you are more blessed than three billion people in the world.

If you have food in the refrigerator, clothes on your back, a roof overhead and a place to sleep...you are richer than 75% of

this world.

If you have money in the bank, in your wallet, and spare change in a dish someplace ... you are among the top 8% of the world\'s wealthy.

If your parents are still alive and still married ... you are very rare, even in the United States and Canada.

If you can read this message, you just received a double blessing in that someone was thinking of you, and furthermore,

you are more blessed than over two billion people in the world that cannot read at all.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-04-08 16:08 ]

Collapse

Rosa LARA
Rosa LARA  Identity Verified
French to Spanish
+ ...
Cuánta verdad Apr 8, 2002

Estas cifras deberían ayudarnos a ser más humanos y también menos egoístas y egocéntricos...

[addsig]

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sagittarians of the world unite Apr 8, 2002

What else can I say? I knew there was something special about this lady.

Marisapad
Marisapad  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
Thank you, Aurora, very interesting... Apr 8, 2002

...and moving !

José Luis Villanueva-Senchuk (X)
José Luis Villanueva-Senchuk (X)  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aurora... Apr 8, 2002

uff!

Uschi (Ursula) Walke
Uschi (Ursula) Walke  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:40
German to English
+ ...
Thank you, Aurora! Apr 8, 2002

Somehow we are all aware of these facts but we tend to forget them and concentrate on the relatively small burdens we carry ourselves.

This is beautiful and will go on my pinboard.

Printer is busily printing, surprisingly in RED. (that\'s truly annoying, isn\'t it?)

Thank you!

Uschi

Bernardo Ortiz
Bernardo Ortiz
Colombia
Local time: 01:40
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aurora es una brillante cuentista de ciencia-ficción Apr 8, 2002

Lo que pregunta es porqué todos los que estamos en el planeta no ganamos cada uno siquiera $1000. El Mundo en realidad con internet y todo esto, se encogió, se hizo más cerca, conversamos los que nunca, sentimos un mundo a nuestros pies, o mejor, vimos como algo en las estrellas, palpamos la cercania de seres infinitamente lejos,sentimos el canto y el llanto de los seres, su sabiduría, que yo en Proz he aprendido más que en los 11 años de estudios superiores en inglés, en gramática caste... See more
Lo que pregunta es porqué todos los que estamos en el planeta no ganamos cada uno siquiera $1000. El Mundo en realidad con internet y todo esto, se encogió, se hizo más cerca, conversamos los que nunca, sentimos un mundo a nuestros pies, o mejor, vimos como algo en las estrellas, palpamos la cercania de seres infinitamente lejos,sentimos el canto y el llanto de los seres, su sabiduría, que yo en Proz he aprendido más que en los 11 años de estudios superiores en inglés, en gramática castellana, escucha uno que Henry eng-jap y se pregunta, lo haría Gates, lo haría yo, cómo no es posible utilizar los talentos más espectaculares de proz, para que cada uno al fía, traduzca, fragmentos, e ir formando la totalidad. Con peers online y todo!

Los japoneses no han dicho nada de Israel?

Invito a toda la comunidad judeo-cristiana a orar por la Tierra Santa e Israel. A actuar !

Collapse

Bernardo Ortiz
Bernardo Ortiz
Colombia
Local time: 01:40
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aurora es una brillante cuentista de ciencia-ficción Apr 8, 2002

Lo que pregunta es porqué todos los que estamos en el planeta no ganamos cada uno siquiera $1000. El Mundo en realidad con internet y todo esto, se encogió, se hizo más cerca, conversamos los que nunca, sentimos un mundo a nuestros pies, o mejor, vimos como algo en las estrellas, palpamos la cercania de seres infinitamente lejos,sentimos el canto y el llanto de los seres, su sabiduría, que yo en Proz he aprendido más que en los 11 años de estudios superiores en inglés, en gramática caste... See more
Lo que pregunta es porqué todos los que estamos en el planeta no ganamos cada uno siquiera $1000. El Mundo en realidad con internet y todo esto, se encogió, se hizo más cerca, conversamos los que nunca, sentimos un mundo a nuestros pies, o mejor, vimos como algo en las estrellas, palpamos la cercania de seres infinitamente lejos,sentimos el canto y el llanto de los seres, su sabiduría, que yo en Proz he aprendido más que en los 11 años de estudios superiores en inglés, en gramática castellana, escucha uno que Henry eng-jap y se pregunta, lo haría Gates, lo haría yo, cómo no es posible utilizar los talentos más espectaculares de proz, para que cada uno al fía, traduzca, fragmentos, e ir formando la totalidad. Con peers online y todo!

Los japoneses no han dicho nada de Israel?

Invito a toda la comunidad judeo-cristiana a orar por la Tierra Santa e Israel. A actuar !

[addsig]
Collapse

Elinor Thomas
Elinor Thomas  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
That's my girl! ;-) Apr 9, 2002

Siempre ocupándonos de lo urgente y olvidándonos de lo importante.

Es bueno refrescar la memoria cada tanto.

Gracias, nena!

Subhamay Ray (X)
Subhamay Ray (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:10
English to Bengali
+ ...
Soul-stirring Apr 9, 2002

That\'s soul-stirring Aurora! You\'re a star!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

If we could shrink the earth´s population to 100 people...

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »