Help: theatre translation
Thread poster: irene*
irene*
irene*
English to Italian
Apr 21, 2004

Hello,
my name is Irene and as topic of my graduation thesis I chose to write a critic of an Italian translation of the play “Look back in anger”.
Unfortunately I realized too late how difficult is this task…! Indeed I’m very pragmatic person and -despite many translation courses – I’m still convicend that a good transation is just a matter of good sense. In these last days I red a jungle of reviews, essays about the different translation techniques (Nida, Cicerone, Sch
... See more
Hello,
my name is Irene and as topic of my graduation thesis I chose to write a critic of an Italian translation of the play “Look back in anger”.
Unfortunately I realized too late how difficult is this task…! Indeed I’m very pragmatic person and -despite many translation courses – I’m still convicend that a good transation is just a matter of good sense. In these last days I red a jungle of reviews, essays about the different translation techniques (Nida, Cicerone, Schleiermacher, Goethe, Newmark…) with the obvious result to get confused.
I know, it's not so easy, but may be thank to your experience you could help me to understand which is the best way to approach a play’s translation.translation; I’m quite sure it’s the semantic translation but there are hundreds of buts...
Could you also suggest me some links?
Thank you in advance!
Regards
Irene
Collapse

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:00
Spanish to English
+ ...
article Apr 21, 2004

http://www.erudit.org/revue/meta/1988/v33/n4/004168ar.pdf

Here's an article to start you off. If you search in Google
e.g. < translating drama > you will find more.

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 16:00
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Take more than one translation Apr 22, 2004

It seems rather fruitless to me for a graduation thesis to analyse only one translation of a play. Rather compare three or four and analyse their differences from theoretical viewpoints. But first of all you should understand at least on modern school of translation theory. At least Goethe and Schleiermacher are rather old, German contemporary names are Reiß, Vermeer, Holz-Mänttäri, Nord etc.

KSchuster
KSchuster
Portugal
Local time: 14:00
Spanish to German
+ ...
Theatre Translation Apr 22, 2004

Dear Irene,
I had the same topic and I think the very first approach should be to understand and figure out the differences between "normal" narrative texts and dramatic texts, so to know on what you should focuss when you translate a play.
Just then you should read theories about theatre translation. For that, I can recommend Sophia Totzeva ("The Dramatic text in performance and translation") and Mary Snell-Hornby.

Good luck!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help: theatre translation

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »