Off topic: Looking for a Spanish poem for a funeral (in English translation)
Thread poster: Buzzy
Buzzy
Buzzy
Local time: 17:34
French to English
May 12, 2011

Hello everybody,
I wonder if anyone can help. I am looking for a poem to be read at my father's funeral. He loved Spanish and we have a collection of poetry books from his student days in his home, but none with translations!
Does anyone have any suggestions? (I will need the actual text in English, as I don't speak any Spanish).
Among the poets we have found on his bookshelves are Gregorio Maranon, Antonion Machado, Pedro Salinas, Garcia Lorca and Cervantes, if that's any help
... See more
Hello everybody,
I wonder if anyone can help. I am looking for a poem to be read at my father's funeral. He loved Spanish and we have a collection of poetry books from his student days in his home, but none with translations!
Does anyone have any suggestions? (I will need the actual text in English, as I don't speak any Spanish).
Among the poets we have found on his bookshelves are Gregorio Maranon, Antonion Machado, Pedro Salinas, Garcia Lorca and Cervantes, if that's any help...
Gracias in advance to anyone who has an idea.
Buzzy
Collapse

Maria Hoskins
Maria Hoskins  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
Jorge Manrique May 12, 2011

Commiserations.

You could do worse than look up Longfellow's translation of "Coplas por la muerte de su padre" by Jorge Manrique.

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jorge_Manrique

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes! May 12, 2011

Maria Hoskins wrote:
You could do worse than look up Longfellow's translation of "Coplas por la muerte de su padre" by Jorge Manrique.

Supported!

Buzzy
Buzzy
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you both May 15, 2011

Thanks for taking the time to reply. At times like these, there's something particularly moving about strangers offering help. Apologies for not answering sooner but there have been things to do!
We read the poem you suggested, but in the end we have opted for a poem by Antonio Machado: Last night as I was sleeping.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for a Spanish poem for a funeral (in English translation)

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »