Off topic: Blind Man's Beauty
Thread poster: Lesley Clarke
Lesley Clarke
Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 05:34
Spanish to English
Dec 6, 2010

I can't recommend this radio programme enough, it about what blind people find beautiful. It will become available in a couple of hours, but then only for seven days, unfortunately

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b008qs4b

Enjoy

Evans (X)
Evans (X)
Local time: 12:34
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thanks Dec 6, 2010

Thanks for that link Lesley. I will definitely check it out.

Peter White is very good. Today on BBC radio 4, I heard him describing how he negotiated his way to work via a completely new route because they've closed a building and moved everything he is used to. He gave a real insight into what it must be like getting around a city when you are blind (and how much easier it is on London buses now that they announce the name of the next stop - when they remember to turn it on!).

Alison Sabedoria (X)
Alison Sabedoria (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Thank you, Lesley! Dec 6, 2010

Like Gilla, I heard Peter White earlier - a favourite broadcaster of mine for many years.

I enjoyed hearing John Hull, an old friend from Birmingham, describing how he can feel the presence of trees.

BBC Radio is full of beautiful things.

Lesley Clarke
Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 05:34
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Blind Man's Beauty Dec 6, 2010

Yes, I actually heard this programme years ago, and found the descriptions fascinating, that is why I decided to put this in the poetry and literature sections.

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 13:34
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
John Milton Dec 6, 2010

When I saw "Blind Man's Beauty" title in Literature/Poetry forums, I immediately thought of the blind English poet John Milton.

Echolocation is also used by some animals, such as bats, it's fascinating.

How do blind people dream? Apparently if they were born blind, they only dream sounds, shapes, tactile sensations and scents. If they lost their vision throughout their life, then they can also dream some images that had been encrypted in the brain.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Blind Man's Beauty

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »