Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Seen the damning article about German literary translation in this week's edition of 'Der Spiegel'?
Thread poster: Glyn Haggett
Charlotte Blank
Charlotte Blank  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:31
Czech to German
+ ...
Thanks, Steffen! Mar 3, 2004

Steffen Walter wrote:
That said, I'm certainly not of the opinion that the quoted sentence can't be understood at all but it seems that, in a desperate attempt to stick as close as possible to the original, the translator has thrown a major part of his native competence overboard. This is not exactly proof of the translator's courage and freedom to create an adequate, satisfactory German version in its own right. (As it stands, the German sentence just doesn't "flow".)
[Edited at 2004-03-03 09:54]

That's exactly what I meant when writing that I had difficulties to understand this sentence at first reading - of course I did understand it (and, to speak honestly, I admired that translator for his/her following-up of the author's style though it was certainly quite hard to do so) but it just did not sound German to me. Maybe my wording in the first posting was not clear enough.

Charlotte

Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:01
English to Tamil
+ ...
In memoriam
Some clarifications are requested Mar 4, 2004

Steffen Walter wrote:
While I agree that it would be useful to consult the original to come to a better judgment, I'd say that the German translation - even if seen on its own - reveals stylistic blunders and is hard to read, not least because of some "strange" collocations used in the sentence. That said, I'm certainly not of the opinion that the quoted sentence can't be understood at all but it seems that, in a desperate attempt to stick as close as possible to the original, the translator has thrown a major part of his native competence overboard. This is not exactly proof of the translator's courage and freedom to create an adequate, satisfactory German version in its own right. (As it stands, the German sentence just doesn't "flow".)

Now my question. Can any one of the German mother tongue persons make it more flowing? That too conveying the same meaning? As I already mentioned, the translation was readable in the first instance itself and German is not my mother tongue. I am eager to be educated as to how that sentence can be made more flowing without being too verbose.

Also, the sentences "Es handelt sich um einen Einzelfall. Es handelt sich um keinen Einzelfall." have been consciously put one after another (in a somewhat irritating way, I admit, but this was exactly the intention of the author): At first glance, this (mis)translation seems to be an isolated case - after a more thorough look at the circumstances, there are many more examples of the same kind.

Now what can be the motive of the Spiegel writer? What does he want to prove with such apparent contradictions? Should he not have given more such examples? And what is the use of writing in that manner in a weekly magazine, where the readers' attention span is too short?

Regards,
N.Raghavan

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 05:31
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Dann lest mal Grass Mar 4, 2004

Also ich habe den Satz über den Stromausfall wieder gelesen und finde ihn spannend, konsequent und erheiternd. Ich sehe nicht, was ein deutscher Autor besser hätte formulieren können. Zum Vergleich solltet Ihr Grass' Hundejahre lesen. Oder Kleist. Übrigens ist es nicht die Aufgabe von Prosa, beim ersten Lesen verständlich zu sein, das ist eine Erfindung angelsächsischer Schreiber.
Sicher gibt es auch im Tschechischen Autoren, die in einen Satz viele Situationen frachten, leider kenne
... See more
Also ich habe den Satz über den Stromausfall wieder gelesen und finde ihn spannend, konsequent und erheiternd. Ich sehe nicht, was ein deutscher Autor besser hätte formulieren können. Zum Vergleich solltet Ihr Grass' Hundejahre lesen. Oder Kleist. Übrigens ist es nicht die Aufgabe von Prosa, beim ersten Lesen verständlich zu sein, das ist eine Erfindung angelsächsischer Schreiber.
Sicher gibt es auch im Tschechischen Autoren, die in einen Satz viele Situationen frachten, leider kenne ich nur den Schweik.
Es ist zu bedauern, dass in literarischen Übersetzungen die Sätze oft vereinfacht werden, wenigstens bei der ersten Übersetzung eines Werkes in eine Fremdsprache, und leider bleibt es in vielen Fällen bei der ersten Übersetzung. Seinerzeit wurden z.B. die Werke Solschenizyns auf die Schnelle übersetzt, im Wettlauf mit der Zeit, und diese Texte stehen immer noch in den Büchereien.
Weil viele Leser praktisch nur noch übersetzte Literatur lesen, sind diese dann an einfachen Satzbau gewöhnt und finden verschachtelte Originalprosa schwer verständlich, als Zumutung.
Collapse

Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:01
English to Tamil
+ ...
In memoriam
Bravo Herr Pesch Mar 4, 2004

We seem to be forming a minority of just 2 persons. I am eagerly awaiting the "improvements" to the translation under dispute.
I find the translation cited in Spiegel to be quite understandable.
I am reminded of the remarks by the English translator of the French book "Papillon" by Henri Charriere". The translator took concious efforts to retain the slangs utilized in the French original and he referred to a translation of another book, whereby the original was improved "out of exi
... See more
We seem to be forming a minority of just 2 persons. I am eagerly awaiting the "improvements" to the translation under dispute.
I am reminded of the remarks by the English translator of the French book "Papillon" by Henri Charriere". The translator took concious efforts to retain the slangs utilized in the French original and he referred to a translation of another book, whereby the original was improved "out of existence". And he did not want to fall into that trap.
Regards,
N.Raghavan
Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Sicher gibt es auch im Tschechischen Autoren, die in einen Satz viele Situationen frachten, leider kenne ich nur den Schweik.
Es ist zu bedauern, dass in literarischen Übersetzungen die Sätze oft vereinfacht werden, wenigstens bei der ersten Übersetzung eines Werkes in eine Fremdsprache, und leider bleibt es in vielen Fällen bei der ersten Übersetzung. Seinerzeit wurden z.B. die Werke Solschenizyns auf die Schnelle übersetzt, im Wettlauf mit der Zeit, und diese Texte stehen immer noch in den Büchereien.
Weil viele Leser praktisch nur noch übersetzte Literatur lesen, sind diese dann an einfachen Satzbau gewöhnt und finden verschachtelte Originalprosa schwer verständlich, als Zumutung.

[Edited at 2004-03-04 16:12]

[Edited at 2004-03-04 16:37]
Collapse

moonchild
moonchild  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:31
German to English
+ ...
Neid vielleicht? Mar 6, 2004

Narasimhan Raghavan wrote:

I am reminded of the remarks by the English translator of the French book "Papillon" by Henri Charriere". The translator took concious efforts to retain the slangs utilized in the French original and he referred to a translation of another book, whereby the original was improved "out of existence". And he did not want to fall into that trap.
Regards,
N.Raghavan
Heinrich Pesch wrote:

[Edited at 2004-03-04 16:12]

[Edited at 2004-03-04 16:37]

Ich schliesse mich dem an.

Nur mal so nebenbei:

Koennte es sein, dass die Verfasserin des Artikels vielleicht auch ein "ganz klein wenig" neidisch ist auf den Erfolg dieser jungen Leute, die mit dieser "ach so furchtbaren" Sprache so viel Geld machen?

Ich hatte beim Lesen des Artikels das Gefuehl, dass die Verfasserin nicht halb so boese auf die Authoren und deren uebersetzte Werke waere, wuerden sich nicht so viele Leute damit eine goldene Nase verdienen.

Heike Behl, Ph.D.
Heike Behl, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 03:31
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Wer im Glashaus sitzt... Mar 7, 2004

I wish Elke Schmitter, the author of the article, had placed both source and translation next to each other; only that would have been a fair approach. It is always easy to criticize somebody else's translation, in particular the translator’s "ängstliche Wort-für-Wort-Übertragung".
After maintaining that the translation appears rather to be at the early stage of a translation than the finished, polished work she would like to see, she continues to suggest just how this polished versi
... See more
I wish Elke Schmitter, the author of the article, had placed both source and translation next to each other; only that would have been a fair approach. It is always easy to criticize somebody else's translation, in particular the translator’s "ängstliche Wort-für-Wort-Übertragung".
After maintaining that the translation appears rather to be at the early stage of a translation than the finished, polished work she would like to see, she continues to suggest just how this polished version might look like (see bottom). But how can she think that her "translations" such as "beschädigte Phantasie" are in any way better? "Beschädigte Phantasie"? Give me a break! And without the context of the original translation, there is no way of telling whether "Vorstellung" isn’t better, but from the small excerpt it definitely makes more sense to me than "Phantasie". Man hat bestimmte Vorstellungen von einem Ort, selten Phantasien über einen Ort, zumindest nicht über seinen Arbeitsplatz.

What on earth doesn’t she like about "Leuchtstoffröhren"? Why is "Neonröhren" supposed to preserve "das Gefühl für das Deutsche, seinen Reichtum und seine Nuancen" better than "Leuchtstoffröhre"? BTW, all my dictionaries make distinctions between Leuchtstoffröhre and Neonröhre, i.e. they are not just synonyms!
So, unless the English source (which she withholds from us) uses neon tube/lights or something similar, she goes completely over board by criticizing "Leuchtstoffröhren".

Without source, one can, of course, not be sure but I bet the source does use the word "artifacts," and therefore, the German "Artefakt" is most likely very close to the original. Too close - as she claims? Why? Her suggestion of "Überbleibsel" has rather different connotations than "Artefakt," particularly due to the diminutive or even derogative ending "el" (remember "Hänsel und Gretel"? or: "Geschreibsel"). "Artefakt" stresses the different era, an era long past and gone for good, the "archeological" interest or even the admiration the speaker of the novel has for this era; "Artefakte" are something valuable and to be valued. One would never talk about the "Überbleibsel der Inkas"! This admiration for the "legendäre[.] Gegenkultur" is further reduced by Schmitter's next bad choice:
She changes "Gegenkultur" into "Subkultur"! These are two completely different concepts and neither interchangeable nor is one expression in any way better, preferable or "more German":

Gegenkultur
aus Wikipedia, der freien Enzyklopädie
Eine Gegenkultur ist eine bestimmte Untergruppe (Teilmenge) einer gegebenen menschlichen Kultur. Im Gegensatz zur Subkultur stellen ihre Mitglieder die primären Werte und Normen in Frage und entwickeln ihr eigenes System an sozialen Werten und Normen (siehe Vision, Utopie).
Beispiele für solche Gegenkulturen finden sich zum Beispiel in den Jugendbewegungen des 20. Jahrhunderts: Beatnicks, Hippies, 68er-Bewegung und Punks.
vs:
Subkultur
aus Wikipedia, der freien Enzyklopädie
Eine Subkultur ("Unterkultur") bezeichnet in der Soziologie eine bestimmte Untergruppe (Teilmenge) einer Kultur, deren grundsätzlichen Werte und Normen die Mitglieder der Subkultur teilen. Die verschiedenen subkulturellen Gruppierungen einer Kultur unterscheiden sich durch sekundäre kulturelle Elemente voneinander.

I.e. the author completely removes the idea of "counter" as amply demonstrated in the hippie era by peace marches and sit-ins, anti-war and anti-establishment demonstrations, etc., and reduces it to a nice, unprocovative conformist group that reinforces the status quo.

Her suggestions and translations might make the text flow very nicely indeed, since she smoothed away all the spikes, notches, and rough edges that add dimension to the style and the content. Does that make it better than Nikolas Stingl’s translation? Definitely not, particularly since she actually falsified the content and the connotations of the text substantially. And she dares to accuse Nikolas of "eine ängstliche Wort-für-Wort-Übertragung"!

And what about her accusation that many translators damage "das Gefühl für das Deutsche, seinen Reichtum und seine Nuancen"? This comes from someone who liberally uses expressions such as "beschädigte Phantasie" and who outdoes herself in the following:
"Dass sie ein Buch geschrieben haben, weil sie per Pech nicht singen können, macht langfristig keine Umstände [...]."
"Per Pech"? This is supposed to be a language that displays "das Gefühl für das Deutsche"?

If I were an author, I don’t know whether I would chose Nikolaus Stingl, the translator of "John Henry Days," as my translator – I just know too little of what he actually did and whether he succeeded or failed. But I do know that I would never ever let Elke Schmitter do the translation – I would be afraid that too much would be lost in translation, or rather – and even worse –: intentionally "improved" upon. Elke Schmitter might have a good number of valid arguments on bad translations, and she doesn’t blame the translators alone but the commercialization process as well. But overall, for me, she has lost her credibility.
And, by the way, her quote from Franzen "Korrekturen": In my opinion, the juxtaposition of endless nested sentence structures with "Es herrschte tiefes Schweigen" is absolutely brilliant and utterly delightful!

Elke Schmitter: "Der Übersetzer hat die Sache noch verschlimmert - unter anderem durch eine ängstliche Wort-für-Wort-Übertragung, wie sie in der ersten Arbeitsphase üblich sein mag. Aus reduzierten Vorstellungen wird später vielleicht eine beschädigte Phantasie, aus Leuchtstoff- werden Neonröhren, und möglicherweise vermisst man am Ende Überbleibsel der legendären Subkultur wie zinnoberrot verfärbte, harzig verkrustete Wasserpfeifen oder Plakate in allen Regenbogenfarben. In jedem Fall ist es vom zitierten Worthaufen zur Sprache noch ein weiter Weg."

Nikolaus Stingl: "Jeder Tag in dem Laden hat seine Vorstellungen reduziert. Am ersten Tag reduziert durch die dicht an dicht in den Deckenpaneelen sitzenden Leuchtstoffröhren; zurückgestutzt durch das fahlgrüne Licht auf den neutralen, vorgefertigten Stellwänden der Kabuffs und vollends kleingemacht durch die Rechtschaffenheit der kratzfesten Schreibtische, auf denen nichts zu sehen war von den Artefakten der legendären Gegenkultur, wie etwa zinnoberrot gefärbten, mit einem harzartigen Belag verkrusteten Bongs oder Regenbogenpostern, die die berühmten Gigs der psychedelischen Toten auflisteten, ja nicht einmal eine auf Irrwege geratene Schabe, irgendein kleines Etwas, das unterm Druck des Redaktionsschlusses den guten alten Gehirnstamm in Schwung brachte."

================================
Nikolaus Stingl was born in Baden-Baden in 1952. He has translated works by Patricia Highsmith, John Irving, Henry James, D.H. Lawrence, Bernard MacLaverty, Cormac McCarthy, Andrew Miller, Rick Moody, V.S. Naipaul, John Cowper Powys, Thomas Pynchon, Mark Richard, Neal Stephenson, and Cornell Woolrich, and in 2001 received the Stuttgarter Literaturpreis for his translation of Pynchon's 'Mason & Dixon.'

cf: http://www.williamgaddis.org/translating/stingl-frolic.shtml
Stingl describes the difficulties of literary translation.

[Edited at 2004-03-07 19:53]

[Edited at 2004-03-07 21:30]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Seen the damning article about German literary translation in this week's edition of 'Der Spiegel'?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »