french-english yourcenar help
Thread poster: langton
Nov 18, 2010

Could anyone try to translate this line of poetry into english?

"La mort est la seule mendiante qui n'aura qu'un refus."

Thanks

lang

[Edited at 2010-11-18 20:41 GMT]

Evans (X)
Evans (X)
Local time: 10:52
Spanish to English
+ ...
repost on Kudoz Nov 19, 2010

I suggest you post this as a question on Kudoz, you are more likely to get some helpful suggestions there.

Alison Sabedoria (X)
Alison Sabedoria (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Yes, of course I could, but... Nov 19, 2010

First of all, welcome to Proz!

Is this part of a paid job, or what? If you are looking for help with translating a particular term, you could try posting it as a KudoZ question (a simple procedure).

Telling us a little more upfront about yourself and what you are doing will not only encourage helpfulness, but will also help you find your place in this community. It's a matter of give and take. We have seen far too many postings by so-called "professional translators" wh
... See more
First of all, welcome to Proz!

Is this part of a paid job, or what? If you are looking for help with translating a particular term, you could try posting it as a KudoZ question (a simple procedure).

Telling us a little more upfront about yourself and what you are doing will not only encourage helpfulness, but will also help you find your place in this community. It's a matter of give and take. We have seen far too many postings by so-called "professional translators" who are clearly looking for other people to do their work for them for free, so this might well explain why no-one has replied to you yet!

You might like to read a recent forum thread where charging for poetry and other creative translation has been discussed: http://www.proz.com/forum/literature_poetry/184471-us$_004_a_word_for_editing_a_poem_and_translating_it.html

Best wishes,
Alison Sabedoria
(French-English bilingual poet)
Collapse

langton
langton
TOPIC STARTER
yourcenar Nov 20, 2010

Thanks Alison and others for responding.

No this is a personal interest question - I am sorry, I know very little about proz
I have some ideas about what to do with the line, but I am not sure.
Anyway I will give you the whole stanza (which will probably help).

(excuse the lack of diacriticals)

Temoin desespere de mes metamorphoses,
Sans pouvoir se saisir d'etre que je fus,
Comme on cherche un parfum au coeur secret des roses,
... See more
Thanks Alison and others for responding.

No this is a personal interest question - I am sorry, I know very little about proz
I have some ideas about what to do with the line, but I am not sure.
Anyway I will give you the whole stanza (which will probably help).

(excuse the lack of diacriticals)

Temoin desespere de mes metamorphoses,
Sans pouvoir se saisir d'etre que je fus,
Comme on cherche un parfum au coeur secret des roses,
La mort, pour me trouver fouillant au sein des choses,
Est le seul mendiant qui n'aura qu'un refus.

I look forward to hearing your ideas.

Lang

ps I am a retired philosophy teacher who has done some academic translation from french to english. I do love Yourcenar!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

french-english yourcenar help

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »