Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Cases of translating something we didn't like by principle?
Thread poster: Stilgar
Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:36
Italian to English
McTrans Nov 19, 2010

If it's against your principles, don't take the job.
The only time that happened to me was a building specification for the world's best known fast food chain, intending to open an outlet in one of the classiest and most iconic shopping arcades in northern Italy. I know someone else must have done it but the culture clash just stuck in my gullet (like their apologies for food).

When I was new to translating, I was given the descriptive display boards for an ornithological mus
... See more
If it's against your principles, don't take the job.
The only time that happened to me was a building specification for the world's best known fast food chain, intending to open an outlet in one of the classiest and most iconic shopping arcades in northern Italy. I know someone else must have done it but the culture clash just stuck in my gullet (like their apologies for food).

When I was new to translating, I was given the descriptive display boards for an ornithological museum housing the legacy of a local but famous ornithologist. They gloated over his skill as a hunter and rifle marksman, in graphic detail. The best I could do was to warn the client of the effect this would have on anglophone sensitivities and offer to do a non-faithful, toned down version. They didn't take me up on it.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cases of translating something we didn't like by principle?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »