https://www.proz.com/forum/literature_poetry/17872-kleists_penthesilea.html&phpv_redirected=1

Kleist's Penthesilea
Thread poster: kaybee71
kaybee71
kaybee71  Identity Verified
German to English
Jan 29, 2004

Looking for an English translation of the following from Penthesilea:

"Küsst ich ihn tot? Nicht? Küsst ich nicht? Zerrissen, wirkich? Sprecht! Dann war's Versehen. Küsse, Bisse, das reimt sich. Und wer recht von Herzen liebt, kann schon das eine für das andere greifen."

Thanks

ingo_h
ingo_h
Germany
Local time: 12:34
English to German
Only one sentence Feb 2, 2004

kaybee71 wrote:

Looking for an English translation of the following from Penthesilea:

"Küsst ich ihn tot? Nicht? Küsst ich nicht? Zerrissen, wirkich? Sprecht! Dann war's Versehen. Küsse, Bisse, das reimt sich. Und wer recht von Herzen liebt, kann schon das eine für das andere greifen."

Thanks

Kissing, biting, that rhymes (Times Literary Supplement, www.textkritik.de/rezensionen/kleist/bka_17.htm
So if you have the text online, look for these words.
I could not find the text as etext, Gutenberg-project has it in German.
Perhaps somone has the book in English.
It seems that no one has the English translation. So you will have to go to a library and look for an English translation. The best one seems to be that of Joel Agee, he got a translator Price for this translation.
Good luck.
Ingo

[Edited at 2004-02-04 09:53]

Berni Armstrong
Berni Armstrong  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:34
English
+ ...
Ah...Penthesilea! Feb 4, 2004

Hi there,

there is definitely a translation into English of this play, because I directed an adaptation of it for theatre back in 1979.

I have just spent an hour in fruitless search for my copy, so I am sorry I cannot tell you the exact translation of that passage.

However, here are some further details. The Version that I used as the basis of my adaptation was: from "The Classic Theatre Vol.2" Tr. Humphrey Trevelyan. Maybe this might be on a local libra
... See more
Hi there,

there is definitely a translation into English of this play, because I directed an adaptation of it for theatre back in 1979.

I have just spent an hour in fruitless search for my copy, so I am sorry I cannot tell you the exact translation of that passage.

However, here are some further details. The Version that I used as the basis of my adaptation was: from "The Classic Theatre Vol.2" Tr. Humphrey Trevelyan. Maybe this might be on a local library or bookshop shelf near you.

For those who may not know the play, it is the Romantic work "par excellence" - the scene where she suicides by willing herself to death sent shivers down my spine every night during performances.

If it turns up I will keep you posted. Have you an Act and a Scene for where this line appears in the play?

[Edited at 2004-02-04 20:47]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Kleist's Penthesilea

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »