Where can I find out about "abusive translation"?
Thread poster: RustransX
RustransX
RustransX
Local time: 02:47
Russian to English
Nov 23, 2003

I am trying to find out about "abusive translation" of literary works, but so far have found very little.

Can anybody suggest any resources (preferably online) where I could get some info? All suggestions will be helpful.

Evert DELOOF-SYS
Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 03:47
English to Dutch
+ ...
Blunders by translators Nov 24, 2003

RustransX wrote:

I am trying to find out about "abusive translation" of literary works, but so far have found very little.

Can anybody suggest any resources (preferably online) where I could get some info? All suggestions will be helpful.

Here's a first link:

http://www.worldwideschool.org/library/books/lit/literarystudies/LiteraryBlunders/chap3.html

Hope it's helpful.

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:47
Spanish to English
+ ...
Lawrence Venuti and other Nov 24, 2003

His work 'The Translator's Invisibility' delas with this theme.

There is also an author who published an aricle about translation of Japanaese anime in these terms --> Nornes, Abé Mark. "For an Abusive Subtitling," Film Quarterly 52.3 (Spring 1999). (Infotrac)

If you search under both 'abusive' and 'foreignising' you should get some leads.

RustransX
RustransX
Local time: 02:47
Russian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the help Nov 24, 2003

I just want to say thank you for everybody's suggestions. They were most helpful)

Richard

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Where can I find out about "abusive translation"?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »