Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 11:12
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Dec 2, 2009

G'day everyone

Do you know of any resources or information available regarding translation for the deaf? I'm not talking about interpreting for the deaf (i.e. sign language) but translation of texts in which the translation is aimed at deaf people. I know of only two translations aimed specifically at deaf people, and both are a translation of the Christian bible.

The English bible for the deaf was published in 1984, apparently, but was later republished as an "easy t
... See more
G'day everyone

Do you know of any resources or information available regarding translation for the deaf? I'm not talking about interpreting for the deaf (i.e. sign language) but translation of texts in which the translation is aimed at deaf people. I know of only two translations aimed specifically at deaf people, and both are a translation of the Christian bible.

The English bible for the deaf was published in 1984, apparently, but was later republished as an "easy to read" version and later also as a children's version. The Afrikaans bible for the deaf was published in 2008.

Do you know of any other books that were written specifically for deaf people, or translations that were made for deaf people?

Do you think that there is a market for deaf translations? I'm thinking specifically about the translation of official materials, published by governments and non-commercial organisations, but perhaps you'd like to comment on general translation for the deaf as well?

Thanks
Samuel

[Edited at 2009-12-02 21:38 GMT]
Collapse

Jean-Pierre Artigau (X)
Jean-Pierre Artigau (X)
Canada
Local time: 05:12
English to French
+ ...
Deaf people can read? Dec 2, 2009

I don't see why there should be special written publications for the deaf. Can't they read just like the rest of us? Are there any musical compositions for blind people?

Jean-Pierre

Andrea Flaßbeck (X)
Andrea Flaßbeck (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Jean-Pierre Dec 3, 2009

And how would they learn to read? The deaf do not have sound to help them learn...
When we read, we recode words into sound, and never having heard sound makes it harder to speak and read.

Livia Soardi
Livia Soardi  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
What is translation for the deaf? Dec 3, 2009

Hi everybody,

Actually, the only kind of translation for the deaf I know about is subtitling for deaf people. I'm searching on the web to find out what kind of translation "written translation for the deaf" exactly is, which skills and techniques it involves, but I'm afraid I'm not figuring it out properly. Can any of you clarify it, please? How does it differ from written translation for non-deaf people?

Thanks,
Livia

Cecilia Vela Segovia-Frund, CT
Cecilia Vela Segovia-Frund, CT  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 06:12
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
Based on familiar experience... Dec 3, 2009

Samuel, I have a deaf child of 10, so I’ve been interested in these issues also.
To begin with, nowadays a high percentage of deaf-born people are equipped with cochlear implants, which are electronic devices that by-pass death nerve cells in the cochlea (source of 85% deafness processes) and restore the auditory path up to the brain.
Most developed countries are aimed to cover 100% of their young deaf population with these devices in the next decade (although personal election and
... See more
Samuel, I have a deaf child of 10, so I’ve been interested in these issues also.
To begin with, nowadays a high percentage of deaf-born people are equipped with cochlear implants, which are electronic devices that by-pass death nerve cells in the cochlea (source of 85% deafness processes) and restore the auditory path up to the brain.
Most developed countries are aimed to cover 100% of their young deaf population with these devices in the next decade (although personal election and the deaf culture may have a word in it, see documentary movies like “The Sound and the Fury” and “Hear and Now”).
Whether implanted or not, in my experience the problem with deaf people is not their ability to read (they can if they are educated, although it is easier for those oralized than for the ones using sign language exclusively). The main point here is that their comprehension of abstract concepts and abstract-based syntax structures is somewhat impaired by an underdevelopment of their brain cortex. Their understanding has also some other problems, like being based on succession instead of simultaneity (which is characteristic of oral language).
Therefore, it is difficult for them to understand complex subordinate structures, double-negative constructions, long sentences and overly-abstract concepts.
The field is mainly related to neurolinguistics, and you will find some interesting studies in this field. I’ve not seen specially adapted texts in use, but most teachers in my country adapt textbooks for their mainstream integrated deaf students. As new trends are to avoid isolating children in special schools for the impaired, it would be a good thing to adapt textbooks accordingly.
A good example are the English-Spanish texts at the John Tracy Clinic webpage (www.johntracyclinic.org) . (John Tracy was actor Spencer Tracy deaf child).
Maybe you may ask them about translation related issues, they have parents online programs in different languages and they answer promptly.
Obviously, not a deaf person has the same skills and impairments than the next one, so it will be difficult to standardize simplified versions.

Muchos saludos, Cecilia

[Editado a las 2009-12-03 14:51 GMT]
Collapse

Niraja Nanjundan (X)
Niraja Nanjundan (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:42
German to English
Book recommendation Dec 3, 2009

Cecilia Vela Segovia-Frund, CT wrote:
The field is mainly related to neurolinguistics, and you will find some interesting studies in this field.

You may like to read "Seeing Voices" by the well known neurologist Oliver Sacks for more on how deaf people communicate. I read it a long time ago, and can't remember whether he touches on reading and writing, but I do remember that it was a very interesting and thought provoking book - I should probably read it again some time!

rachel toukob
rachel toukob  Identity Verified
Cameroon
Local time: 10:12
English to French
+ ...
I think there is religious literature for deafs but translating for deafs is not yet possible. Dec 3, 2009

i tried to work on that. What i discovered is that deaf have their grammar, their style and syntax different from hearing people.they equally have limited vocabulary whih gives no room for synonyny.since they find it difficult to read using our own syntax,i think what can be appropriate for them is transliteration.what i mean by transliteation is writing as if interpreting.for example if i want to translate "i am going to the market", i can write it down as if interpreting:"market i go".
... See more
i tried to work on that. What i discovered is that deaf have their grammar, their style and syntax different from hearing people.they equally have limited vocabulary whih gives no room for synonyny.since they find it difficult to read using our own syntax,i think what can be appropriate for them is transliteration.what i mean by transliteation is writing as if interpreting.for example if i want to translate "i am going to the market", i can write it down as if interpreting:"market i go".
what i simply mean is that, if we want to translate for deafs, we will write as if interpreting.
i think more research should be done on that to help deaf and dumb read any kind of literature.i know it will sound strange for many translators but doing that will mean respecting their language.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation for the deaf

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »