Berni Armstrong
Berni Armstrong  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:54
English
+ ...
Accuracy? Or pedantry? Oct 31, 2003

Gordon Darroch wrote:

Kundera once sacked one of his translators for replacing his semi-colons with full-stops: perhaps if all writers were so demanding they'd get a better service,

Ahhhhggghhh.... I'm glad I've never worked for Kundera Perhaps the translator quite rightly knew that full-stop usage and semi-colon usage were different in the two languages. If that was the case, then MK was just being too pedantic and inflexible (which from his writing I guess he is.

I have had hell explaining to some Spanish clients why their "Rococo" prose just cannot be translated "as is" into English without leaving them with egg on their faces and a virtually unreadable text in the target language.

Good luck with the SF translation Vladimir - keep us posted on your success with it. I have often translated Pessoa poems for fun, rather than profit. But a whole Novel will really be a labour of love. Why don't you write your own novel first? Every literary translator seems to have a novel inside waiting to get out - (in my case 6 unpublished ones sit on my shelves).

All the best,

Berni

Gordon Darroch (X)
Gordon Darroch (X)
Local time: 07:54
Dutch to English
+ ...
one man's accuracy... Oct 31, 2003

[quote]Berni Armstrong wrote:

Ahhhhggghhh.... I'm glad I've never worked for Kundera Perhaps the translator quite rightly knew that full-stop usage and semi-colon usage were different in the two languages. If that was the case, then MK was just being too pedantic and inflexible (which from his writing I guess he is.

Actually, this probably was an overreaction on Kundera's part. In the passage in question he'd written a series of long paragraphs which were single sentences divided by semi-colons. He was trying to create a particular effect and claims the translator destroyed it by removing the semi-colons. A simple phone call one way or the other would have probably sorted things out, but who am I to criticise?
PS: Ruth - what's the Dutch title of JSF's book? I must check it out.

Vladimir Dubisskiy
Vladimir Dubisskiy
United States
Local time: 01:54
Member (2001)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Berni, did you ever think about e-book Nov 1, 2003

I mean all that jazz about publishing on the Net, making e-book - what do you think about it (if anything)?

Happy Halloween...
V.
Berni Armstrong wrote:
Every literary translator seems to have a novel inside waiting to get out - (in my case 6 unpublished ones sit on my shelves).

All the best,

Berni

Berni Armstrong
Berni Armstrong  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:54
English
+ ...
e-books Nov 1, 2003

Hi Vladimir (&Co),

I had thought about simply making my work available on the web - and in fact I have already put some of my writing on the net at my home page:

http://www.geocities.com/athens/academy/1985/writing/index.html

There are two complete scripts, a work in progress and the first chapter of one of my novels... as well as a fe
... See more
Hi Vladimir (&Co),

I had thought about simply making my work available on the web - and in fact I have already put some of my writing on the net at my home page:

http://www.geocities.com/athens/academy/1985/writing/index.html

There are two complete scripts, a work in progress and the first chapter of one of my novels... as well as a few of my Pessoa translations.

However, the chances of finding a readership by simply putting a book on-line are slim. I should try to explore the idea through established writer's sites, I suppose.

One problem is that most of my work was written before I learned to use a word processor, so I would need to scan in badly typed print and prepare it for html etc. That means finding TIME - which as you all know is not easy to come by.

Still, you have stimulated me to think about the idea again and, after all, a readership of five people who find you by acccident is better than none at all.

Good luck to any of you who are working on your masterpiece out there.

Cheers,

Berni
Collapse

Vladimir Dubisskiy
Vladimir Dubisskiy
United States
Local time: 01:54
Member (2001)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
you, see, Berni - ours are not the empty talks :-)) Nov 1, 2003

I know that with Mac OSX (as far as know, and i. honestly, do not know a lot about Mac envornment and things) comes the program for e-book publishing. Like you are making a book of your own and then sell it through the online bookstore.

Berni Armstrong wrote:
Still, you have stimulated me to think about the idea again and, after all, a readership of five people who find you by acccident is better than none at all.

Good luck to any of you who are working on your masterpiece out there.

Cheers,

Berni

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

second translation - will it

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »