Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:56
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Herta Müller... Oct 8, 2009

...does look a bit like Umberto Eco. Did the jury mix up the pictures? They surely wanted to choose Eco...

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I must be honest... never heard of Herta Oct 8, 2009

But from what it is said she has my admiration and respect. Living in a fascist regime (I don't care of it advertises itself as a people's regime or whatever) and making a stand against it takes a lot of courage.

Roomy Naqvy
Roomy Naqvy  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 01:26
English to Hindi
+ ...
Herta Muller Oct 8, 2009

Well,I must confess my ignorance. No idea at all.

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
she was mentioned Oct 8, 2009

today on my car radio as a candidate...

The decision will help Germans get rid of the holy fear and respect of the Nobel prize jury. If any left that is, after the jury kept shooting itself in the foot with decisions like Naipaul (2001), Jelinek(2004) and Lessing (2007), all in the grand old-time tradition of a institution who decided for Winston Churchill in 1953 and Bertrand Russel few years earlier.

There's a positive side to the story: after Gao Xingjian (2000) C
... See more
today on my car radio as a candidate...

The decision will help Germans get rid of the holy fear and respect of the Nobel prize jury. If any left that is, after the jury kept shooting itself in the foot with decisions like Naipaul (2001), Jelinek(2004) and Lessing (2007), all in the grand old-time tradition of a institution who decided for Winston Churchill in 1953 and Bertrand Russel few years earlier.

There's a positive side to the story: after Gao Xingjian (2000) Chinese self-respect (and hopefully their respect for their literature) must have increased dramatically: h*ll, if they thought so well about Gao Xingjian, our real literature must be absolute tops.

Anyhow, anybody interested in German literature, see

http://www.deutscher-buchpreis.de/de/296796

Regards

Vito

[Edited at 2009-10-08 12:23 GMT]
Collapse

Helen Shiner
Helen Shiner  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:56
German to English
+ ...
@ Tomás Oct 8, 2009

So that'll be Eco then?! I am worried about agreeing with you too prominently in case you fall off your computer with excitement ...! I too haven't heard of Herta but will be interested to read more.

[Edited at 2009-10-08 12:44 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-10-08 15:24 GMT]

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 22:56
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Alt + (keyboard) 129 Oct 8, 2009

If you want to write Müller, just press Alt and 129 on the keyboard.
Again they surprised me, first Jelinek, now Müller. Didn't know that German literature is so good. I should start to read more German books. Müller's books have been translated into Finnish even. So she must be good.
Herzlichen Glückwunsch, Frau Müller!

Regards
Heinrich

Boris Rogowski
Boris Rogowski  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2008)
English to German
Pynchon Oct 8, 2009

Pynchon clearly deserves the Nobel Prize, in fact he probably should have been awarded it a long long time ago... I can't see how someone who wrote Gravity's Rainbow had to wait that long anyway. IMO this shows that brilliant literature is by far not the only criterion.

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 14:56
Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Herta who? Oct 8, 2009

I have to admit that I'm a bit disappointed, I'd never hear of Herta Müller. But I hadn't heard of Le Clézio or Lessing either. The last Nobel I had read before he got the prize was Orhan Pamuk. But I'm glad a fellow (once) translator received the Nobel.

Ivette Camargo López
Ivette Camargo López  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Also don't know Herta Müller / About some of the Spanish language nominees Oct 8, 2009

Just wanted to add that I also have not read any of Herta Müller's books, nor am I familiar with her writing in general, but I will see how soon I can get a Spanish and/or English translation of any of them.

About some of the Spanish language nominees some of us mentioned, like Mario Vargas Llosa and Carlos Fuentes, I get the impression that the NP Academy is definitely not interested in at least these two names, because since they basically belong to the same generation as García
... See more
Just wanted to add that I also have not read any of Herta Müller's books, nor am I familiar with her writing in general, but I will see how soon I can get a Spanish and/or English translation of any of them.

About some of the Spanish language nominees some of us mentioned, like Mario Vargas Llosa and Carlos Fuentes, I get the impression that the NP Academy is definitely not interested in at least these two names, because since they basically belong to the same generation as García Márquez, maybe the Academy feels that the said generation already got a representative awarded. Of course, you never know, but, again, it would be nice to know at least who the real nominees are.

I'm also glad that Ms. Müller has also worked as a translator, though I wonder how she feels about this profession and if she is actually up-to-date about it.

[Edited at 2009-10-08 16:01 GMT]
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
She seems to respect her translators very much Oct 8, 2009

ICL wrote:

I'm also glad that Ms. Müller has also worked as a translator, though I wonder how she feels about this profession and if she is actually up-to-date about it.

[Edited at 2009-10-08 16:01 GMT]

At least when I look at the list of translations into English the translator is mentioned as co-author:
The Land of Green Plums by Herta Muller and Michael Hofmann

But I find only one translation of Müller at Amazon.com.

Ivette Camargo López
Ivette Camargo López  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Article about one of her USA translators Oct 9, 2009

I just got the following article link through Twitter, so I thought of sharing it. It's about a USA translator/co-translator of some of her writings, Philip Boehm:

www.stltoday.com/blogzone/book-blog/book-blog/2009/10/st-louisan-a-translator-for-new-nobel-laureate/

Of Müller, he says: “Her prose is very evocative and puts us in the mind of the character. It evokes both the psychology of the character and the environment of oppression in which the character lives.”

And notice that it seems he works as a literary translator actually only part-time, as he works mostly as the artistic director of a theatre.

Bumin
Bumin  Identity Verified
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
Cortazar is a town.. Oct 9, 2009

If any German reader thinks Thomas Mann, H. Böll and Herta Müller at the same scale, okey then, i won't criticize. Not for Müller, but nearly non of the winner in last years, ever come close these (not only them, of course) great men, in pure literature.

At school years I always heard names like Morrison, Gordimer, Paz...
Now Jelinek, Le Clezio, Lessing...

From now on Nobel should follow its way, never look back.
Atwood, Eco, Llosa, Fuentes, Kunder
... See more
If any German reader thinks Thomas Mann, H. Böll and Herta Müller at the same scale, okey then, i won't criticize. Not for Müller, but nearly non of the winner in last years, ever come close these (not only them, of course) great men, in pure literature.

At school years I always heard names like Morrison, Gordimer, Paz...
Now Jelinek, Le Clezio, Lessing...

From now on Nobel should follow its way, never look back.
Atwood, Eco, Llosa, Fuentes, Kundera, Rushdie, Roth... Better forget about prize.

Fuentes, for my opinion, deserves "nobel of the nobels -as if/sim.to booker-", let me go a bit further, from 2000+, non of the winners has any book that with literary value of "Christopher Unborn", and it is a medium level book, for Mr. Fuentes.

Anyway, why i am talking about a prize & commitee who/m think that Cortazar is a town in Aires.
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
The night is made of ink. Herta Müller speaks of her youth in Banat Oct 9, 2009

an excerpt from the audio Book in

http://jetzt.sueddeutsche.de/texte/anzeigen/487593

For a while I thought of committing a suicide and attempted it several times. But I have not pulled it through. From that moment on I stopped trying and I forbid myself to do it - I had not done it before and later I no longer allowed it to myself, as the Secret Service has
... See more
an excerpt from the audio Book in

http://jetzt.sueddeutsche.de/texte/anzeigen/487593

For a while I thought of committing a suicide and attempted it several times. But I have not pulled it through. From that moment on I stopped trying and I forbid myself to do it - I had not done it before and later I no longer allowed it to myself, as the Secret Service has been threatening all the time they would kill me. That they would, whatever, throw me into the river or as the saying goes: there's road accidents.

I would actually do the dirty work for them, by getting myself out of their way. (...) Such political things in a country under control - and then, if you become the target, it all flows into the most intimate, into the very, very personal. So even the possibility is not there any more, there's no more suicide. Free death after all means that you yourself decide about it and you do it because you voluntarily take a walk out of your life. . . That would not have been the case. I would just fulfill the killing mission that they would, when deciding to kill me, have to delegate to some third person. I would just turn into my murderer. There was nothing else there. I would become my own killer. I would do it on their behalf then, whether I liked it or not. There would be no other choice.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The 2009 Nobel Prize in Literature

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »